What does cocked and locked mean to you?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
RSX11
Posts in topic: 1

What does cocked and locked mean to you?

Post by RSX11 »

I've lately been having a bit of a disagreement with a fellow I met, who claims to be a long standing NRA certified firearms instructor.

He asserts that carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber is correctly referred to as "cocked and locked".

I've always understood that term to mean carrying a semiauto with an external hammer, cocked, and the safety lever locked in the safe position. And 999 times out of 1000, cocked and locked is being used to describe a 1911. I've never heard anyone say a GLock was cocked and locked, and I don't think it's correct.

What do y'all think? Am I all wet on this?

E10

Re: What does cocked and locked mean to you?

Post by E10 »

For my part, ‘cocked’ means the hammer (or striker, I guess) is in a fully retracted position, ready to be released by a pull of the trigger. ‘Locked’ means the safety is on, preventing firing. 1911s, yes, but both my Beretta Model 9000 and Model 84 (1979 vintage) can also be put in a ‘cocked and locked’ condition. I refrain from carrying them so, because unlike a 1911, neither has a grip safety. A Glock, as I understand, is never fully cocked and has no safety, thus cannot be locked. But I’m no expert, as l’ve handled one only once, and would never own such an ugly pistol.

rotor

Post by rotor »

You are correct.

flechero

Post by flechero »

If you can pull the trigger and fire the weapon, it's not locked. Just like if you turn a door handle and it opens, it was not locked. Although my way of thinking is archaic, I always thought if you were born with a peter, you were a boy. :shock:

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

I think it means you have been watching Hollywood movies.

strogg

Post by strogg »

Chaparral wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:52 pm I think it means you have been watching Hollywood movies.
Haha. Agreed.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

You are correct, your friend is fan boy of Glock. I am not. He is uninfmored of historical facts. Smile and keep distance.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I would love to ask him just what he thinks is "locked" on a Glock.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

C-dub wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:43 pm I would love to ask him just what he thinks is "locked" on a Glock.
Most likely he would claim, auto-safety of the trigger blade is on unless the trigger finger is on the blade
Beiruty,

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

And most DA/SA can be cocked or locked but not cocked and locked.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

"Cocked and locked" is a 1911-centric term.
A C&L 1911 and a Glock with a round chambered can both be considered "Condition 1", and the Glock still has 3 mechanisms keeping it from going bang until you pull the trigger, but I wouldn't term Gaston's progeny as C&L.....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

KLB

Post by KLB »

lock and load

(verb expression) Short for locking the magazine/cartridge into the gun and loading the ammunition into the gun's chamber. (Usu. used to show toughness, ambition, fear and other strong characteristics. Originally spoken by John Wayne in "Sands of Iwo Jima" as "load and lock".
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... k and load

So is the above definition incorrect or does "lock" mean different things in different expressions?

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

KLB wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:02 pm
lock and load

(verb expression) Short for locking the magazine/cartridge into the gun and loading the ammunition into the gun's chamber. (Usu. used to show toughness, ambition, fear and other strong characteristics. Originally spoken by John Wayne in "Sands of Iwo Jima" as "load and lock".
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... k and load

So is the above definition incorrect or does "lock" mean different things in different expressions?
It is different term. Lock and load, It is like make ready for an AR.
Beiruty,

philip964

Post by philip964 »

All my guns operate with a moveable safety switch which when in the “locked” position prevents the movement of the trigger. The gun cannot fire until the switch is turned to the down position.

Some guns, I think Glocks, have a two part trigger that prevents the gun from firing unless both parts of the trigger are pulled.

I’ve never considered this locked.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

RSX11 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:36 pm who claims to be a long standing NRA certified firearms instructor.
That doesn’t mean he knows what he is talking about.....
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”