Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
proudpirate
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

10mm 1911's that can handle full power ammo

Post by proudpirate »

So I've decided to step up to 10mm in the 1911 platform. I've been reading a lot about how some 1911's chambered in 10mm do not have a fully supported chamber and that using full power ammo is can be very bad. For example the Colt Delta Elite, which I was really set on buying until I heard about the lack of chamber support. I intend to shoot full power 10mm ammo instead the weak "FBI load" ammo. So I have found myself looking at other brands. So I figured I would reach out to y'all to get your thoughts and suggestions. Who here has experience with 10mm 1911's and what are your suggestions? Thank you.

mrvmax

Re: 10mm 1911's that can handle full power ammo

Post by mrvmax »

I had a Colt Delta and sold it, it was real finicky on what ammo would feed properly and my handloads would not reliably feed. You can check out the Springfield Armory TRP in 10mm. I think that one has a fully supported chamber but I’m not positive on that.

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

RIA 10mm or Ruger SR1911 10mm. While both need a few rounds for break in they both work very well. RIA gets the win for price and Ruger gets it for fit and finish. Sure like the RIA but the Ruger is a better firearm in all regards except price. Have not found any ammo either one does not like.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

A full length guide rod, Wilson Shok-Buffs, and a Wolff 22-24 pound recoil spring do wonders for controllability and durability when shooting full power 10mm ammunition in a 1911.

The early Colt Delta Elites with the very hot Norma Factory Ammunition would beat themselves to death (cracked frames, etc.). Wilson Combat used to sell a kit with the above items specifically for 10mm 1911s.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

If money is not an issue:

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/bruin/

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/hunter/

otherwise I'd probably look at the Ruger
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

The Ruger has the advantage that it's a Series 70 design. That's why I'd take the Ruger over a current generation Colt Delta. I've fired the Norma 10mm 180gr JHP ammo in a Glock 20; I did NOT shoot it in my Gen 1 Colt Delta..... :shock:
There are also some 10mm 1911 longslides out there, but the prices are .....discouraging.....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”