What do you use to monitor safe humidity?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jason812
Posts in topic: 8

What do you use to monitor safe humidity?

Post by jason812 »

Just curious what everyone uses to monitor the conditions inside their safes. I have a dial humidistat that I don't fully trust but what I would really like would be able to know what was going on inside without opening the door. Liberty's fancy monitor seems cool but its it's pricey and I don't need an app connected to my phone. Really would like to just walk in the room and have a display telling me the humidity in the safe.

I was thinking about this one.

https://www.deansafe.com/goldenrod-wire ... nitor.html
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What do you use to monitor safe humidity?

Post by ScottDLS »

jason812 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:55 pm Just curious what everyone uses to monitor the conditions inside their safes. I have a dial humidistat that I don't fully trust but what I would really like would be able to know what was going on inside without opening the door. Liberty's fancy monitor seems cool but its it's pricey and I don't need an app connected to my phone. Really would like to just walk in the room and have a display telling me the humidity in the safe.

I had to move my safe to my garage recently. I have these paper "telltales" that turn pink with humidity that I got with a couple desiccant bags that I bought. The problem is they just say 25% 50% 75%. I've noticed some very slight oxidation on one of my stainless revolvers. I guess I'd like to hear also what people use to monitor as well as control safe humidity. Maybe time for me to bake the desiccant bags in the oven...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I use a dehumidifier that has a color-change indication when the moisture levels go up. When it starts changing from blue to pink I pull it out, plug it in for 24 hours or so, and then put it back in the safe. Usually lasts a couple of months between renewal sessions. If you live in the SE Texas swamp lands, your results may vary. :tiphat:

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
jason812

Post by jason812 »

ScottDLS wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:15 pm
jason812 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:55 pm Just curious what everyone uses to monitor the conditions inside their safes. I have a dial humidistat that I don't fully trust but what I would really like would be able to know what was going on inside without opening the door. Liberty's fancy monitor seems cool but its it's pricey and I don't need an app connected to my phone. Really would like to just walk in the room and have a display telling me the humidity in the safe.

I had to move my safe to my garage recently. I have these paper "telltales" that turn pink with humidity that I got with a couple desiccant bags that I bought. The problem is they just say 25% 50% 75%. I've noticed some very slight oxidation on one of my stainless revolvers. I guess I'd like to hear also what people use to monitor as well as control safe humidity. Maybe time for me to bake the desiccant bags in the oven...
I have one of the 450g desiccant bags in a box that has the color change indicator. I cook it every few months just because. I just got a much larger safe and it has a electrical dehumidifier rod and for now I still have the desiccant inside. In the old safe I haven't had any rust issues but it was little and the bag seemed to keep up just fine. Guns that don't get used very often I keep stored in the silicone treated gun socks. This helps with safe gremlins that like to put dings on stocks and suppose to help with rust. I pulled one of my most cherished Model 70s out yesterday as I was loading the new safe and was scared to look at it because it's been years since I had it out. It still looks like it did when I got it when I was 9 years old. I am a firm believer in the socks.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

PBratton
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBratton »

I use the same thing. I also put a USB powered fan in the safe to circulate the air, as well as a golden rod.

Us older folks refer to that as the Belt and Suspenders route.

Oh, and if you have a smart home setup, I have a unit in the safe that alerts me when it detects motion , high temp and high humidity via my Smart Things controller. (yes, I am really a Geek...)
Keith B wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:17 pm I use a dehumidifier that has a color-change indication when the moisture levels go up. When it starts changing from blue to pink I pull it out, plug it in for 24 hours or so, and then put it back in the safe. Usually lasts a couple of months between renewal sessions. If you live in the SE Texas swamp lands, your results may vary. :tiphat:

http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

deertrax

Post by deertrax »

I use Goldenrods and Hydrosorbent Silica Gel Desiccant Dehumidifier Boxes. For monitoring I use the ThermoPro TP65 Digital Wireless Hygrometer with an additional ThermoPro TPR65 Transmitter. Base unit supports up to 3 remote transmitters. From base unit I can see ‘indoor’ (base) room and ‘outdoor’ (remote) safe temperature/humidity readings. Periodically check that Goldenrod is functioning or very warm to touch. Refresh silica when needed.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Certified RSO & Instructor (Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun), NRA Member, TSRA Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

jason812 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:58 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:15 pm

I have one of the 450g desiccant bags in a box that has the color change indicator. I cook it every few months just because. I just got a much larger safe and it has a electrical dehumidifier rod and for now I still have the desiccant inside. In the old safe I haven't had any rust issues but it was little and the bag seemed to keep up just fine. Guns that don't get used very often I keep stored in the silicone treated gun socks. This helps with safe gremlins that like to put dings on stocks and suppose to help with rust. I pulled one of my most cherished Model 70s out yesterday as I was loading the new safe and was scared to look at it because it's been years since I had it out. It still looks like it did when I got it when I was 9 years old. I am a firm believer in the socks.
Thanks for the info. I have two of the 450g desiccant bags in the safe, but I lost the instructions on when to bake them. I only have a two car garage and use it to park two cars, so I'm not going to insulate and heat/cool it. Other than not having humidity control I don't mind having the safe out there, but I think I might get a couple more bags. I have about 6 long guns and 9 handguns in there now.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

I have a golden rod and a dehumidifier like Kieth B, and to monitor it I have a thermostat with one if those remote sensor things one would normally put outside. I, however, place it inside the safe in the garage and the main unit inside the house. From there I can tell the temperature and humidity inside the safe without having to open it.

Because that sensor is in a steel box it doesn’t have a great range, but good enough to reach about 20-25 feet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Keith B wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:17 pm I use a dehumidifier that has a color-change indication when the moisture levels go up. When it starts changing from blue to pink I pull it out, plug it in for 24 hours or so, and then put it back in the safe. Usually lasts a couple of months between renewal sessions. If you live in the SE Texas swamp lands, your results may vary. :tiphat:

Thanks Keith. That looks like a plan.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

What is the make and model? I have a Golden Rod, but this sounds like a good addition.

Thanks,
Chas.

DocV
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DocV »

I uise Zerust VCI emitters, paper indicators, and Eva dry "renewable" dehumifiers. I have two of the dehumidifiers and alternate between them evey three or four weeks.

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

I bought a gallon jug of the blue beads. Split it up into four food grade cloth bags. When they change color I put them in the micro wave and "cook" the water out. Works great!!!

I have the EvaDry ones too.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Topic author
jason812

Post by jason812 »

DocV wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:57 pm I uise Zerust VCI emitters, paper indicators, and Eva dry "renewable" dehumifiers. I have two of the dehumidifiers and alternate between them evey three or four weeks.
I have seen these and wondered do they leave a film on stocks, optics, or other sensitive items that might be inside?
Ed4032 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:09 am I bought a gallon jug of the blue beads. Split it up into four food grade cloth bags. When they change color I put them in the micro wave and "cook" the water out. Works great!!!

I have the EvaDry ones too.
Looking at Amazon yesterday I ran across the bulk silica beads and bags. Seems like a very reasonable way to have a large desiccant system.

DocV
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DocV »

I have not observed any film on stocks or firearms. I do not have optics and am unable to comment on what to expect with those.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

jason812 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:53 am
DocV wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:57 pm I uise Zerust VCI emitters, paper indicators, and Eva dry "renewable" dehumifiers. I have two of the dehumidifiers and alternate between them evey three or four weeks.
I have seen these and wondered do they leave a film on stocks, optics, or other sensitive items that might be inside?
WHY would they leave a film? They do not off gas any condensibles, they merely adsorb higher molecular weight components.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”