Shipping parts to Italy

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 6

Shipping parts to Italy

Post by Tex1961 »

I have a friend in Italy that needs a trigger spring and a slide spring and rod... The company here in the U.S won't ship to him... I know I can mail a spring to him, but not 100% sure about a guide rod....

Anybody see anything wrong with this... I of course don't want to do anything illegal....

Here is a link to the parts he needs.
https://gallowayprecision.com/canik/tp9 ... 9-pistols/

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shipping parts to Italy

Post by carlson1 »

I see nothing wrong with mailing the parts. I wouldn’t mail a barrel, slide, mag, or that stuff, but we are talking springs and one has a plastic “thing” in it.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:54 pm I see nothing wrong with mailing the parts. I wouldn’t mail a barrel, slide, mag, or that stuff, but we are talking springs and one has a plastic “thing” in it.
Agreed.
Appreciate the reply

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Tex1961 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:29 pm I have a friend in Italy that needs a trigger spring and a slide spring and rod... The company here in the U.S won't ship to him... I know I can mail a spring to him, but not 100% sure about a guide rod....

Anybody see anything wrong with this... I of course don't want to do anything illegal....

Here is a link to the parts he needs.
I might suggest that you obtain a deeper understanding of exactly why the company here will not ship to Italy.

If it is a matter of an export license or ITAR, you should be very careful.

Better he should buy a new handgun before you get crosswise with the government.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Can you post a link that ITAR has to do with individuals. I couldnt find any? What I have found deals with defense companies. I would be interested I reading up on it.
...Any company that does business with the U.S. military, as well as any organization that deals with information related to items, services or related data on the USML, must be highly aware of and fully compliant with ITAR. Understand that affected parties are NOT limited to government and military organizations. Also included are any third-party contractors that work with them, and all companies in the supply chain, such as:

Wholesalers
Distributors
Technical companies

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott B. »

Under a $100 (may have been raised to $500), no export license required. They're not serialized or listed parts, I would describe them on the declaration form as "2 springs, and a guide rod, miscellaneous?"

22 CFR 123.17

These items shouldn't need to go through the proof house system on the Italian end.

I do know an expert on such things, will send him a text. But, I don't think you'll have any problems.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Skooter

Post by Skooter »

Just hot glue the springs and guide rod to a chunk of wood along with some dried macaroni and buttons and call it “folk art”. :roll:
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Throw in some cheap RC car parts or something like that.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I plan on calling them today and ask why they wouldn’t ship. I like the idea of including some RC parts. :tiphat:

I can’t think of any reason why this would be a problem, but we’re talking common sense and the U.S government. Kind of an oxymoron.

DocV

Post by DocV »

Brownells.it sells to the Italy market. So, there is some way to send parts abroad.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Don't play games. Including RC parts says cover up. Simply confirm that you are not breaking any laws before acting. I would not place myself at risk if I were in your situation. No favor to a friend is worth Federal prosecution.

We used to travel from Upstate NY to Michigan and had to go the long way around (under Lake Erie through Ohio) in order to avoid inadvertently driving through Canada with a laptop or any documents that contained information classified as ITAR. There are more ways for the Federal government to turn a law abiding citizen with only good intentions (e.g., I saved the Government time and mileage) into a criminal.

Sorry if you feel that I am being too conservative but you asked for input. YMMV.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:10 am Don't play games. Including RC parts says cover up. Simply confirm that you are not breaking any laws before acting. I would not place myself at risk if I were in your situation. No favor to a friend is worth Federal prosecution.

We used to travel from Upstate NY to Michigan and had to go the long way around (under Lake Erie through Ohio) in order to avoid inadvertently driving through Canada with a laptop or any documents that contained information classified as ITAR. There are more ways for the Federal government to turn a law abiding citizen with only good intentions (e.g., I saved the Government time and mileage) into a criminal.

Sorry if you feel that I am being too conservative but you asked for input. YMMV.
Not at all and I 100% appreciate your concern and response... I have an email into the company to get their take on things... I figure they would probably have a better idea what I legal or not..... If I even sniff out that this is illegal I won't pursue any further... Like you say, just not worth the possible ramifications.....

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Received this from the manufacturer.

We can ship anywhere within the US only. It actually comes down to ITAR and taxes. You have to have a special license to ship internationally and from a cost standpoint, it isn't worth paying and applying for all of that. If you are here in the US, you can absolutely order and then ship to him in Italy. Any rules about the parts themselves would be up to you to make sure were ok. Outside of that, we do have a company that does some exporting for us, Aztech Armory.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:10 am Don't play games. Including RC parts says cover up. Simply confirm that you are not breaking any laws before acting. I would not place myself at risk if I were in your situation. No favor to a friend is worth Federal prosecution.

:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I just sent my friend an email telling him that I can't send them.... It's just not worth it..... Would it be ok.. Probably.... But I'm just not going to take that chance.... As a side note I own a small company that manufactures firearm grips, magazine stickers, While I am nowhere near a firearms parts manufacture, that alone could raise issues with ITAR.....

Thanks again everyone for your replies.... But the matter is settled, I'm not going to send anything.....

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”