What is your favorite carry revolver

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Weldonjr2001
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What is your favorite carry revolver

Post by Weldonjr2001 »

Lately it’s my Kimber K6s’s, either the 3” or the 2” and a pocket .380, or the 3” in a gunpack and the 2” in the pocket. Both carried with Hornady Critical Defense 125 grain magnum loads. Two 8 shot Bianchi speed strips in the gunpack.

I still carry my 2 Ruger SP101’s on occasion, but the 6 shots of the Kimber’s trump the 5 shots of the Ruger’s.

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

My favorite is the only one I have. The s&w 642-2 airweight. It disappears when I wear it. Even when I'm chasing my kids around and bending over to change diapers and so on. I switched from the glock 26 because when lifting kids around and bending over to change diapers or tie shoes it was always coming uncovered.
I love my little airweight.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Depending on attire, I generally prefer my SR9C and XDS45 as primaries, but I always carry my LCR .38 as a BUG/New York reload.

The LCR has the coolest little plastic/Kydex holster which covers much of the gun but allows for a very fast draw from its concealment under my shirt, since it has no retention feature. Due to no retention feature, the LCR is never open carried since anyone could snatch it if seen.

I am right handed, but wear the LCR on my belt at about 9 or 10 o'clock, so it's a cross draw that can work even while seat belted in the car.

At the range, I am not very accurate at 21 feet. I accept that it's a belly gun and I'm fine with that. The shrouded hammer is fine since it can never snag during the draw, but I kind of wish it was an LCRx (external hammer), so that I could fire it SA if I wished.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Tejas59

Post by Tejas59 »

S&W J frame in .327 magnum (not a typo, .327 instead of .357). I don't always carry a revolver, but when I do I sure like that one.

sparkyfender

Post by sparkyfender »

IMG_0076.JPG

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

I have two favorites: LCR snubbies in .38 special and .327 Fed. Mag.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

74novaman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:11 am As mentioned in another thread, I'm carrying and competing with nothing but wheel guns this year.

I've carried all of these at one point or another this year.

The easiest to carry is of course the J frame. But my favorite to carry so far has been the 586 L Comp. (picture from dry fire practice)

It's the same basic weight as a 4" heavy barrel Model 10, but holds 7 rounds, takes moon clips, and has better sights. I really enjoy it.

I think the ideal carry revolver would be a lightweight 6 shot K frame, 3" barrel, adjustable sights that takes moon clips. That would be a fantastic shooting/carrying compromise gun.
Nice selection, got a Colt Anaconda 44mag, thinking about carrying but not sure yet?
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

knotquiteawake wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:09 pm My favorite is the only one I have. The s&w 642-2 airweight. It disappears when I wear it. Even when I'm chasing my kids around and bending over to change diapers and so on. I switched from the glock 26 because when lifting kids around and bending over to change diapers or tie shoes it was always coming uncovered.
I love my little airweight.
I have the same daily carry. Sometimes I forget I am wearing it. I use the +P ammo for carry rounds.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I’ve carried each of my revolvers. The main one I carry lately is a no-lock 642-1. It’s a lot lighter than the Taurus 605. I occasionally use my 686-6 as my primary carry. I’ve even carried my single action Heritage Rough Rider .22 as a backup for critters when I worked security at a ranch.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I love my scoped .44 Super Redhawk with the 9.5" barrel, but it MIGHT be beyond the scope of this thread. Nonethless, it seems like a near perfect if non-traditional "truck gun", so I do carry it in a sense. A 300 grain XTP at 1300 fps (which I could push higher, but why bother?) is sufficient for anything in the western hemisphere inside of 50 yards.

I generally prefer autoloaders, but as the gymnastics required to fit a .460 Rowland into a pistol or the DEagle demonstrate, very powerful handgun cartridges lend themselves to revolvers. If you need that extra power, the autoloader vs revolver debate is essentially moot. Let me find a good pic.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MaduroBU wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:23 am I love my scoped .44 Super Redhawk with the 9.5" barrel, but it MIGHT be beyond the scope of this thread. Nonethless, it seems like a near perfect if non-traditional "truck gun", so I do carry it in a sense. A 300 grain XTP at 1300 fps (which I could push higher, but why bother?) is sufficient for anything in the western hemisphere inside of 50 yards.

I generally prefer autoloaders, but as the gymnastics required to fit a .460 Rowland into a pistol or the DEagle demonstrate, very powerful handgun cartridges lend themselves to revolvers. If you need that extra power, the autoloader vs revolver debate is essentially moot. Let me find a good pic.
Both of my full-sized magnum revolvers are 5" S&Ws ... a Model 29 Classic .44 magnum, and a Model 327 TRR8 .357 magnum. The 29 is the heavier of the two by 9.5 oz unloaded; and 6 of the 240 grain .44s weighs a good deal more than 8 of the 125 grain .357s. So the 327 is probably the better carry revolver of the two, but I find it a lot easier to charge the 29's cylinder than the 327'‘s, so maybe that’s an offset? I haven’t decided yet for sure. In the meantime, my little M&P340 slips into a pocket.....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

Rarely carry revolvers anymore when I do so my old duty 2-1/2" 66 S&W, hunting always a revolver, dad's 5 screw 44 mag 6-1/2" shoulder holster, been many miles with that one. Both with my reloads with swaged bullets we used to do.
Stay Safe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”