Henry introduces its "Marlin Killer"

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Henry introduces its "Marlin Killer"

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:38 pm
puma guy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:06 pm
SigM4 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:14 pm Now, make them in .357 and .22 with blued recievers and threaded barrels...
:lol: Sorry, I'm having visions of my Lever gun with a can on the end of the barrel! Might as well go full tilt boogie! Only in .30-30 Centerfire, but you can get one in .22 rimfire.

Ah yes.... the "Hi-Point Carbine" of lever action rifles. Proof positive that Bubba lives! :lol:
My eyes just cleared up after looking at the tactical lever Mossberg :nono: and then I found the ultimate violation to my eyes; A Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70 with a can! :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

That doesn’t bother me as much. I can’t seem to find it right now, but there exists a picture of Teddy Roosevelt, seated, and holding one of his favorite hunting rifles - a lever action - and there’s a suppressor mounted on it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Weldonjr2001 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:09 pm Those Henry’s are nice. My “Marlin Killer” is my new Mossberg 464 30-30 lever action. It was sitting next to a 336 in Academy’s gun rack.

I asked to see the 336, and as soon as I put it to my shoulder I could see the magazine tubed out of line with the the barrel. Deal killer right there. I have a 1949 made 336, and despite many “character” marks, it is is well made. This new 336 just looked a little crude by comparison to the older one, which I had examined before running down the street to Academy.

So I asked to see the Mossberg, and it looked great. Nice blueing, nice wood, no sharp edges, and I liked the no-pistol-grip stock. Looked up reviews on it there in the store and decided to take a chance.

I’ve been to the range 3 times with it, and put about 75 rounds of various brand 150 grain soft points through it. The loading and cycling was a little rough at first, but those have smoothed up nicely.

Love it, no regrets.
The only thing I don't like about the Mossberg levers is the plunger safety on the lever. I use a loose trigger hand when shooting a rifle...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

So Henry finally made an 1866 Winchester. :lol:

It's a fine looking rifle. Hope they release them in .357, .44 or .45 Colt.
Psalm 91:2

Weldonjr2001
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Weldonjr2001 »

RogueUSMC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:28 pm
Weldonjr2001 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:09 pm Those Henry’s are nice. My “Marlin Killer” is my new Mossberg 464 30-30 lever action. It was sitting next to a 336 in Academy’s gun rack.

I asked to see the 336, and as soon as I put it to my shoulder I could see the magazine tubed out of line with the the barrel. Deal killer right there. I have a 1949 made 336, and despite many “character” marks, it is is well made. This new 336 just looked a little crude by comparison to the older one, which I had examined before running down the street to Academy.

So I asked to see the Mossberg, and it looked great. Nice blueing, nice wood, no sharp edges, and I liked the no-pistol-grip stock. Looked up reviews on it there in the store and decided to take a chance.

I’ve been to the range 3 times with it, and put about 75 rounds of various brand 150 grain soft points through it. The loading and cycling was a little rough at first, but those have smoothed up nicely.

Love it, no regrets.
The only thing I don't like about the Mossberg levers is the plunger safety on the lever. I use a loose trigger hand when shooting a rifle...
Initially when I “thought” I had to have all three non-trigger fingers in the loop it did feel a bit awkward. When I found things worked better with just the middle and ring fingers in the loop and to just keep the little finger out of the way things started feeling much smoother.

Since I don’t have significant trigger time with any other lever rifle that doesn’t have that type safety, I guess I just adapted to it without much trouble. The middle and ring fingers provide almost effortless depression of that plunger for me.

But I understand the reservation.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”