Henry introduces its "Marlin Killer"

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Henry introduces its "Marlin Killer"

Post by The Annoyed Man »

That’s right.... a SIDE-LOADING Henry rifle. It’s being introduced first in .30/30, .35 Remington, and .38/55, with brass receivers. But I imagine that it’s a matter of time before they start producing all of their offerings with a side loading gate option. I’ve predicted for a while now that, with Remington's continuing inability to produce Marlins of the same quality as the JM stamped pre-Remlin rifles, TWELVE YEARS after the acquisition, that if Henry came out with side loading rifles, it could put Marlin out of business. Interesting to note that the new Henry appears to alao retain its tube loading feature for those that prefer it.

Evidently, Henry has been listening to what people are saying. If they start producing it with a blued receiver, y’all will be seeing my Marlin for sale on these pages.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/side-gate-lever-action/
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Henry introduces its "Marlin Killer"

Post by mojo84 »

I love my Marlin but that looks pretty dang nice.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

mojo84 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:58 am I love my Marlin but that looks pretty dang nice.
I agree. I’m not as partial to the high polished look of brass receivers as some people are - preferring the more subdued non-reflective finish of matte bluing. But there’s no denying the quality that goes into this rifle. Look at the product page, and check out the closeups of the wood grain and the checkering. I like my Marlin 336BL too, but I had to spend extra money and put in some sweat equity to make it right. Out of the box, the condition was unacceptable. And even after the sweat equity, it’s not as nice of a rifle as the Henry is.

Like I said, if Henry produces one of these side loaders in .30-30 with a blued receiver and barrel, I’m all in.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:09 am
Like I said, if Henry produces one of these side loaders in .30-30 with a blued receiver and barrel, I’m all in.
:iagree: I've been wanting a Henry for a long time, the tube feeding dissuaded me buying one. The brass is pretty....just doesn't seem practical for hunting with the possibility of a sun flash off the receiver spooking the game.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I prefer the blue steel for practical use but love the shiny brass from an aesthetic show off barbecue gun perspective. Guess I'm like a baby when it comes to shiny objects. :)

My son and I have shot many deer with my 30-30 and have never had to track one. Most drop straight down immediate. The ones that didn't went no more than ten yards. I love hearing my buddies talk about how they had to track deer after shooting them with their big long distance flat shooting rifles.

I don't see me taking this Henry hunting though.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've wanted side-loader Henry for a long time. Having the option to use the side-loader or the tube is a great idea. I'd use the tube to load and the side-loader to top-off. Like others, I want one in blue.

Chas.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This might also kill Henry's non-side loading guns. I love my Henry's but I absolutely hate that I have to put my hand in front of the muzzle to reload. Any design that requires folks to violate one of the rules of gun safety is a bad thing, IMHO.

Weldonjr2001

Post by Weldonjr2001 »

Those Henry’s are nice. My “Marlin Killer” is my new Mossberg 464 30-30 lever action. It was sitting next to a 336 in Academy’s gun rack.

I asked to see the 336, and as soon as I put it to my shoulder I could see the magazine tubed out of line with the the barrel. Deal killer right there. I have a 1949 made 336, and despite many “character” marks, it is is well made. This new 336 just looked a little crude by comparison to the older one, which I had examined before running down the street to Academy.

So I asked to see the Mossberg, and it looked great. Nice blueing, nice wood, no sharp edges, and I liked the no-pistol-grip stock. Looked up reviews on it there in the store and decided to take a chance.

I’ve been to the range 3 times with it, and put about 75 rounds of various brand 150 grain soft points through it. The loading and cycling was a little rough at first, but those have smoothed up nicely.

Love it, no regrets.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:55 am That’s right.... a SIDE-LOADING Henry rifle. It’s being introduced first in .30/30, .35 Remington, and .38/55, with brass receivers. But I imagine that it’s a matter of time before they start producing all of their offerings with a side loading gate option. I’ve predicted for a while now that, with Remington's continuing inability to produce Marlins of the same quality as the JM stamped pre-Remlin rifles, TWELVE YEARS after the acquisition, that if Henry came out with side loading rifles, it could put Marlin out of business. Interesting to note that the new Henry appears to alao retain its tube loading feature for those that prefer it.

Evidently, Henry has been listening to what people are saying. If they start producing it with a blued receiver, y’all will be seeing my Marlin for sale on these pages.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/side-gate-lever-action/
Interstingly they offer it in .35 Remington, so they have their ear to the ground targeting Marlin fans, in particular those who prefer .35 Rem. They are aware JM marked 336 Marlins (Pre Remlin) in .35 are sought after. Ironically when I was selling guns in the 60's and 70's I can count on two hands the number of Marlin 336's I sold in .35 Remington and I sold a couple thousand 336 Marlins and Model 30 Glenfields. I would try to impress the buyers with my knowledge of rifle ballistics to persuade them to get their new lever action deer rifle in .35 Rem instead of .30-30 Winchester, all in vain. Probably sold half a dozen in .44 Rem mag. I have to admit I didn't convince myself either and my 336 is caliber .30-30 because I figured it would be easier to sell if I ever decided to do so. (I still have it, LOL.) I think Henry has a winner! :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Last edited by puma guy on Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:38 pm I've wanted side-loader Henry for a long time. Having the option to use the side-loader or the tube is a great idea. I'd use the tube to load and the side-loader to top-off. Like others, I want one in blue.

Chas.
I don't think you'll have to wait too long.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Weldonjr2001 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:09 pm Those Henry’s are nice. My “Marlin Killer” is my new Mossberg 464 30-30 lever action. It was sitting next to a 336 in Academy’s gun rack.

I asked to see the 336, and as soon as I put it to my shoulder I could see the magazine tubed out of line with the the barrel. Deal killer right there. I have a 1949 made 336, and despite many “character” marks, it is is well made. This new 336 just looked a little crude by comparison to the older one, which I had examined before running down the street to Academy.

So I asked to see the Mossberg, and it looked great. Nice blueing, nice wood, no sharp edges, and I liked the no-pistol-grip stock. Looked up reviews on it there in the store and decided to take a chance.

I’ve been to the range 3 times with it, and put about 75 rounds of various brand 150 grain soft points through it. The loading and cycling was a little rough at first, but those have smoothed up nicely.

Love it, no regrets.
The magazine tube alignment was one of the complaints when I bought my 336BL. I wrote about it here: viewtopic.php?p=1128014#p1128014. I have a Henry Octagon Frontier in .22 that I really like a lot. So far, living with loading through the day of the magazine tube has been a non-issue, but it has only been used as a plinker at the range. OTH, I really want the top off ability of the Marlin's side loading gate for field use. Now that Henry is beginning to offer it in centerfire calibers, my Marlin's days are numbered.

Another of the complaints I had about the Marlin was that the side loading gate was so stiff that it was unusable. It was so bad that, the first time I took it to the range, I gave up trying to load through the gate, and just fed dingle rounds through the ejection port. I fixed that with a replacement part from Ranger Point Precision that has less spring tension. I have a JM stamped Marlin 1895G Guide Gun in .45-70, and it is a beautiful rifle (and for sake too!). I did a full write up on my 336BL on my website here: https://annoyedman.com/firearms/lever-guns-remlins.html.

So I have a frame of reference between older and newer Marlins, and the new ones just aren’t up to snuff. The older ones are heirloom rifles - the newer ones no so much.

But Henry more than makes up for all of that’s OTH even their tube-loading design. They are beautifully made, even the little .22s. This is the one that I bought: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-o ... ier-rifle/. Henrys are rifles that you’d be proud to pass down to your kids and grandkids.

#TINVOWOOT

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Now, make them in .357 and .22 with blued recievers and threaded barrels...
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

SigM4 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:14 pm Now, make them in .357 and .22 with blued recievers and threaded barrels...
:lol: Sorry, I'm having visions of my Lever gun with a can on the end of the barrel! Might as well go full tilt boogie! Only in .30-30 Centerfire, but you can get one in .22 rimfire.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:06 pm
SigM4 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:14 pm Now, make them in .357 and .22 with blued recievers and threaded barrels...
:lol: Sorry, I'm having visions of my Lever gun with a can on the end of the barrel! Might as well go full tilt boogie! Only in .30-30 Centerfire, but you can get one in .22 rimfire.

Ah yes.... the "Hi-Point Carbine" of lever action rifles. Proof positive that Bubba lives! :lol:

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”