Goldilocks Gun Recommendations

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
BSHII
Posts in topic: 2

Goldilocks Gun Recommendations

Post by BSHII »

I am shopping for a new carry pistol. My current carry guns are a Glock 21 and a Shield 9mm. I love the Glock 21, have owned it 17 years, shoot well with it, and am partial to .45, but it's massive and impractical to carry except in a belt holster under a jacket or openly in a paddle holster. The Shield is much easier to conceal, but I'm not sold on 9mm out of a 3" barrel, I'm not thrilled about the capacity, I shoot it passably but not as well as I would like for something I might need to depend on (and then only after replacing the trigger and sights), and I think I can carry more gun than this. So I'm looking for something in-between size-wise.

I'm thinking of either the Glock 30 if I want to stay with a .45, but I am also thinking of going with a red-dot setup on one of the Walther PPQ variants (or maybe a Glock 19 MOS). The Q5 match is intriguing if I can live with 9mm (the 5" barrel will help with that). I have business next week near the Athena range, who has the Glock 30 and the regular PPQ for rent, so I'm thinking of trying them out then.

Any thoughts or alternatives? Does anyone know of any optics-ready carryable .45s?

montgomery
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Goldilocks Gun Recommendations

Post by montgomery »

I carry the 30 when i cant carry the 21.

If you are accurate and fast with the 21, expect the same from the 30 depending on the size of your hand.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

You mention you like the ability to conceal for the Shield, but prefer .45 ACP to 9mm. Are you aware that there is a M&P Shield in .45 ACP?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 it comes in either a 4.25" barrel, or a 5" . It holds 17+1 rounds in 9mm. You can also get it in 40 S&W, or 45acp. It comes with 4 different size backstraps to custom fit you hand. Great trigger, short reset, aggressive grip stippling, and accurate.
I have carried the original for years, I have lost count of the rounds through it ( over 5000) never had a FTF, or FTE. I've shot cheap white box ammo, and elite hollow point. They have all fed and fired flawlessly.
It is easily carried, with a kydex holster, with just an untucked shirt, when I want to conceal. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

BSHII wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 am I am shopping for a new carry pistol. My current carry guns are a Glock 21 and a Shield 9mm. I love the Glock 21, have owned it 17 years, shoot well with it, and am partial to .45, but it's massive and impractical to carry except in a belt holster under a jacket or openly in a paddle holster. The Shield is much easier to conceal, but I'm not sold on 9mm out of a 3" barrel, I'm not thrilled about the capacity, I shoot it passably but not as well as I would like for something I might need to depend on (and then only after replacing the trigger and sights), and I think I can carry more gun than this. So I'm looking for something in-between size-wise.

I'm thinking of either the Glock 30 if I want to stay with a .45, but I am also thinking of going with a red-dot setup on one of the Walther PPQ variants (or maybe a Glock 19 MOS). The Q5 match is intriguing if I can live with 9mm (the 5" barrel will help with that). I have business next week near the Athena range, who has the Glock 30 and the regular PPQ for rent, so I'm thinking of trying them out then.

Any thoughts or alternatives? Does anyone know of any optics-ready carryable .45s?
The Shield now comes in a 4 inch barrel model:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/p ... 0-4-barrel
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
BSHII

Post by BSHII »

bblhd672 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:16 pm
BSHII wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 am I am shopping for a new carry pistol. My current carry guns are a Glock 21 and a Shield 9mm. I love the Glock 21, have owned it 17 years, shoot well with it, and am partial to .45, but it's massive and impractical to carry except in a belt holster under a jacket or openly in a paddle holster. The Shield is much easier to conceal, but I'm not sold on 9mm out of a 3" barrel, I'm not thrilled about the capacity, I shoot it passably but not as well as I would like for something I might need to depend on (and then only after replacing the trigger and sights), and I think I can carry more gun than this. So I'm looking for something in-between size-wise.

I've been interested since I heard about it, but I haven't seen any on sale yet. I'll be interested in seeing the price, especially since it seems to come with the red dot, which is thankfully mounted in front of the rear sight. I might think about trading my current Shield in for one, though I will probably swap the stock trigger, springs, and sights back in before I do--the fiber sights on the Performance Center Shield look nice, but I'd probably prefer my Vickers tritium set as a backup.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Flightmare wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 am You mention you like the ability to conceal for the Shield, but prefer .45 ACP to 9mm. Are you aware that there is a M&P Shield in .45 ACP?
And just to further that- the .45 Shield is a great shooting gun... shoots much softer then you would expect. (recoils like a larger/heavier gun)

Since you asked- here is the 45 shield with optics and in a 4"bbl. :cheers2:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/search/nod ... 2%20Barrel

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

flechero wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:11 pm
Flightmare wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 am You mention you like the ability to conceal for the Shield, but prefer .45 ACP to 9mm. Are you aware that there is a M&P Shield in .45 ACP?
And just to further that- the .45 Shield is a great shooting gun... shoots much softer then you would expect. (recoils like a larger/heavier gun)

Oh I know all about it. I have one myself and it is a joy to shoot.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Flightmare wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:19 pm
flechero wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Oh I know all about it. I have one myself and it is a joy to shoot.
I managed to be able to shoot a buddy's shield... I am seriously thinking about selling my Ruger LC9s and getting the shield... A much easier gun to shoot.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

BSHII wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:03 pm
bblhd672 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:16 pm

I've been interested since I heard about it, but I haven't seen any on sale yet. I'll be interested in seeing the price, especially since it seems to come with the red dot, which is thankfully mounted in front of the rear sight. I might think about trading my current Shield in for one, though I will probably swap the stock trigger, springs, and sights back in before I do--the fiber sights on the Performance Center Shield look nice, but I'd probably prefer my Vickers tritium set as a backup.
In stock at GrabAGun: https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-m ... 9mm-4.html

I'm going to be changing the sights on mine to TruGlo TFX Pro's.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Jusme wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:39 am Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 it comes in either a 4.25" barrel, or a 5" . It holds 17+1 rounds in 9mm. You can also get it in 40 S&W, or 45acp. It comes with 4 different size backstraps to custom fit you hand. Great trigger, short reset, aggressive grip stippling, and accurate.
I have carried the original for years, I have lost count of the rounds through it ( over 5000) never had a FTF, or FTE. I've shot cheap white box ammo, and elite hollow point. They have all fed and fired flawlessly.
It is easily carried, with a kydex holster, with just an untucked shirt, when I want to conceal. JMHO
S&W also makes a 2.0 in Compact versions (double stack mags so thicker handle like the Glocks, but better) with either a 4" or 3.6" barrel. We have them in 9MM with plenty of capacity but I believe they are available in 40 also. Like Jusme, I've carried one of the original M&P Compacts for several years with no issues.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”