Smith&Wesson M&P 2.0 3.6 Compact

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
loscar141
Posts in topic: 1

Smith&Wesson M&P 2.0 3.6 Compact

Post by loscar141 »

I just recently purchased this gun from Shoot Point Blank Cypress for $350ish plus tax minus $220, for a Tristar c100 that i also traded.
First impressions, Its a sweet shooter, and I am able to make a good group all the way out to 25 yards. It has a very strong grip that really starts to dig in after about 100 rounds. no malfunctions. I prefer to carry it over my Glock 19, but I still prefer to carry my 9mm shield all day long.

Excaliber

Re: Smith&Wesson M&P 2.0 3.6 Compact

Post by Excaliber »

This gun is an unheralded gem.

Very ergonomic design, great trigger, good round capacity, and a joy to carry at just a bit bigger than the Shield.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I keep hearing all these great things about the triggers on the 2.0, etc. Maybe my mistake is I bought mine too soon after they came out (and paid way more than they are going for now). 6 3/4 to 7 pound trigger pulls on them. Magazines would not drop free when empty. Sights are way off on both pistols. They have been back to S&W 3 times (on their nickel) and they have done nothing to bring the trigger pull down to the spec that one of their customer service reps quoted on the phone (5 - 5 1/2 pounds) or to get the sights set correctly. They did fix the pistol so that the empty magazines would drop free.

I have a number of 1.0s and am happy with them (Dawson sights and Burwell trigger jobs - which can't be done on the 2.0s because of the design change to the trigger). I am hoping that, with an Apex kit and new Dawson sights these will be decent pistols. I sure would like to see one of these 2.0s that everyone raves about because mine are sure disappointing.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

Obviously, experiences with any mechanical device will differ. I can only report my family's experiences.

I am very pleased with the S&W M&P M2.0 line. My wife carries a Walther PPS M2 LE because it fits her hands better. My youngest brother carries an M&P M2.0 Shield 9mm, my fathter and oldest son each carry an M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm 4inch with no external safety.

I bought my M2.0 9mm 5inch when it first came out in 2016 and was only available in FDE and with an external safety lever (since removed). Over 4000 rounds through it now, and I am on track to put 10000 more down range this year. The only issue I have had with it is the loaded chamber indicator breaking in March, 2019, which I had replaced. The S&W site no longer shows the pistol having a loaded chamber indicator. If mine breaks again, I will remove it and not replace it.

Last year, I replaced the factory sights with Dawson Precision Charger (fiber optic) sights. The trigger is stock, as is the grip. My usual practice session this year is at least 100 rounds in a 45 to 60 minute session once a week. Last week was 300 rounds in two sessions. The stock grip, with the small palm swell, works well for me. Using the small palm swell allows me easier access to the mag release while maintaining a solid crush grip and trigger access. The only discomfort I've experienced has been in a class with Tom Givens. After shooting 300 rounds in one day, the external safety lever caused a blister on my firing hand thumb where the thumb rested on the lever. I have removed the lever.

We are running S&W magazines. I have 5 to facilitate training and competition. None of us has had any issues with magazines failing to fall out whether loaded our empty.

This year, I will present my 20 year old son with an S&W M&P Compact 9mm. When my youngest son turns 20, he'll get one also. This is the pistol they will use for their LTC class. The only decision I have yet to make is barrel length. I really like the way this pistol feels in my hand, even better than my 5inch. The only difference in the grip is that my pistol holds 17+1 and the Compact holds 15+1 stock.

That is our experience, your mileage will vary.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bowserb

Post by bowserb »

I really don't like Glock triggers--not crazy about any of the striker guns with "middle finger" trigger safeties. I have an original Shield 9mm, which to me is infinitely better than any Glock trigger. To me anyway.

I once had a G19. Perfect size nice mag capacity, but I hated the trigger and (please hold your criticisms) I don't like a carry gun without a thumb safety or at least a grip safety like the 1911. I sold the G19. Then sometime later, I won another G19 in a drawing I didn't even know I had entered! So I took that low purchase price and added a Cominolli thumb safety and combo fiber optic/tritium sights. Still a bad trigger but with a safety and great sights.

I always had a problem with the M&P Compact requiring the extended mag for a good capacity and a place for my little finger. It was kindof a finger pincher with the extended mag, so I just walked away. The 9mm M&P 2.0 Compact with thumb safety is my gun just waiting for me to buy it. I just have a problem adding a 7th handgun. Every time my wife opens the safe to put away or take out some piece of jewelry (inherited, so she hasn't spent money on it) she sees that row of handguns above the AR, Mossberg 500, and Ruger American Ranch Rifle. Sometimes she comments, "Wow, you have a lot of pistols!" I say "Remember I won one of them, and a couple others are cheapos, plus a couple others were used." One day, though. That $350 someone quoted here is well within my pain threshold. Is Shoot Point Blank Cypress in Cypress, Texas? I might have to look them up.
Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

oljames3 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:53 pm Obviously, experiences with any mechanical device will differ. I can only report my family's experiences.

I am very pleased with the S&W M&P M2.0 line. My wife carries a Walther PPS M2 LE because it fits her hands better. My youngest brother carries an M&P M2.0 Shield 9mm, my fathter and oldest son each carry an M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm 4inch with no external safety.

I bought my M2.0 9mm 5inch when it first came out in 2016 and was only available in FDE and with an external safety lever (since removed). Over 4000 rounds through it now, and I am on track to put 10000 more down range this year. The only issue I have had with it is the loaded chamber indicator breaking in March, 2019, which I had replaced. The S&W site no longer shows the pistol having a loaded chamber indicator. If mine breaks again, I will remove it and not replace it.

Last year, I replaced the factory sights with Dawson Precision Charger (fiber optic) sights. The trigger is stock, as is the grip. My usual practice session this year is at least 100 rounds in a 45 to 60 minute session once a week. Last week was 300 rounds in two sessions. The stock grip, with the small palm swell, works well for me. Using the small palm swell allows me easier access to the mag release while maintaining a solid crush grip and trigger access. The only discomfort I've experienced has been in a class with Tom Givens. After shooting 300 rounds in one day, the external safety lever caused a blister on my firing hand thumb where the thumb rested on the lever. I have removed the lever.

We are running S&W magazines. I have 5 to facilitate training and competition. None of us has had any issues with magazines failing to fall out whether loaded our empty.

This year, I will present my 20 year old son with an S&W M&P Compact 9mm. When my youngest son turns 20, he'll get one also. This is the pistol they will use for their LTC class. The only decision I have yet to make is barrel length. I really like the way this pistol feels in my hand, even better than my 5inch. The only difference in the grip is that my pistol holds 17+1 and the Compact holds 15+1 stock.

Smith and Wesson is now including the magazine spacer with this gun to accept the 17 round magazines that you use in your 5” model.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

cmgee67 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:33 pm
oljames3 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:53 pm Obviously, experiences with any mechanical device will differ. I can only report my family's experiences.

Smith and Wesson is now including the magazine spacer with this gun to accept the 17 round magazines that you use in your 5” model.
Both my father and my son had two adapters included with their M2.0 Compacts. I gave my son one of my 17 round magazines.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

oljames3 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:44 pm
cmgee67 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:33 pm

Both my father and my son had two adapters included with their M2.0 Compacts. I gave my son one of my 17 round magazines.
Two were included with my compact which I purchased shortly after they were released.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

loscar141 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:41 pm I just recently purchased this gun from Shoot Point Blank Cypress for $350ish plus tax minus $220, for a Tristar c100 that i also traded.
First impressions, Its a sweet shooter, and I am able to make a good group all the way out to 25 yards. It has a very strong grip that really starts to dig in after about 100 rounds. no malfunctions. I prefer to carry it over my Glock 19, but I still prefer to carry my 9mm shield all day long.
Loscar141, first thank you for the call out. I work at that Shoot Point Blank location in both sales and RSO capacities.
I've carried an M&P40c (1.0) for several years and have never had an issue. On the 2.0 I can see where the aggressive texturing might be a little much after a long day at the range but keep in mind that it was intended to provide a good grip in not-so-good situations.

All in all though, S&W did improve the trigger compared with my 1.0 version and made several other improvements. With the right holster, it's and easy all day carry. Look me up the next time your at the range.

Max (David)
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”