Gun-handling - Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson go off

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun-handling - Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson go off

Post by WTR »

Good reminders. I have caught myself manually loading a round in the chamber and then dropping the slide.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Bitter Clinger »

So Wilson took his expensive custom 1911's to the NRA show and then got upset when they were handled? Guess he should have staffed his booth appropriately. There were what, 80,000 or so attendees? How many overpriced 1911's did he sell? I found this whole video to be whiny and elitist.

Only two points I could agree with were not dropping a bullet into the chamber (I always insert loaded mag, rack slide, remove mag and top off, or not) and that most guns do not need to be cleaned after each and every range session, but they do need sufficient lubrication.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flechero »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:03 pm So Wilson took his expensive custom 1911's to the NRA show and then got upset when they were handled?
No, they were upset when the guns were being mishandled, big difference. As he pointed out, it's bad for any guns, glock included.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

AndyC wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:15 pm I'd be upset if someone mishandled my inexpensive 1911 RIA; I don't see this as elitist in the slightest.
flechero wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:03 pm So Wilson took his expensive custom 1911's to the NRA show and then got upset when they were handled?
No, they were upset when the guns were being mishandled, big difference. As he pointed out, it's bad for any guns, glock included.
Then don't take your 1911's to a gun show and openly display them. And while I also do not use the slide release, I doubt it would damage the Glock. As Hackathorn pointed out, the Glock is a different type of mechanism and nowhere near as precise as that on a custom 1911.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

AndyC wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:37 pm Then don't take your 1911's to a gun show and openly display them.
The point is about people mishandling firearms through ignorance, whether at a gun show or elsewhere. They're simply recounting their recent experience which happened to be at a gun show.
Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:37 pm And while I also do not use the slide release, I doubt it would damage the Glock. As Hackathorn pointed out, the Glock is a different type of mechanism and nowhere near as precise as that on a custom 1911.
Well, as Wilson said around 5:40 "It's not good on a Glock either"; I think I'll listen to a gunsmith of his stature.

I'm getting the distinct impression that you just have a beef with these two men, for some reason.
Nope. Just didn't like the attitude that I felt that they displayed in the video. Whatever.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flechero »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:37 pm As Hackathorn pointed out, the Glock is a different type of mechanism and nowhere near as precise as that on a custom 1911.
But as was pointed out just after that by Bill wilson- the barrel lug really takes a beating... that's not precise nor 1911 specific. In fact he specifically mentioned that in reference to glock.

I get it- you don't care for those guys. But being uppidy doesn't make them wrong. :tiphat:

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

flechero wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:37 pm As Hackathorn pointed out, the Glock is a different type of mechanism and nowhere near as precise as that on a custom 1911.
But as was pointed out just after that by Bill wilson- the barrel lug really takes a beating... that's not precise nor 1911 specific. In fact he specifically mentioned that in reference to glock.

I get it- you don't care for those guys. But being uppidy doesn't make them wrong. :tiphat:
It might. It's not the barrel lug on the Glock that takes the beating, it's the bent metal take down lever. And the easy fix for that is a forged metal take down piece. Why didn't they know to mention that?

I am not disputing that they are accomplished individuals, but the impression I got from the video is that they are full of themselves, think they know everything and look down on other less knowledgible gun owners. Made me decide not to bother looking into training with them.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

Great video Andy. Thanks for posting it.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

While the barrel lugs on a Glock don't take as much of a beating, they still get one and will show signs of damage after enough empty slide releases. The takedown lever "fix" only transfers the stress (and eventual damage) from the takedown lever to the locking block and frame.

I saw a pre-gen3 Glock that had lockup issues many years ago at the range, the locking lugs on the barrel and slide had been peened extensively. How did they get that way? I don't know for sure but the only thing I could think of was someone releasing the slide with the thing empty. Another thing I would point out is that every point that they make is valid especially slide release and revolver slam issues.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I learned something. I never thought much about releasing the slide on an empty chamber. Bad habit. I would do that once every time I cleaned my weapons.

Now I know better. Cocky attitude or not. The video was worth watching.

I might not like the way Trump, Hackathorn or Wilson say it, but when they speak, it's usually worthwhile to pay attention.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

G.A. Heath wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:55 pm While the barrel lugs on a Glock don't take as much of a beating, they still get one and will show signs of damage after enough empty slide releases. The takedown lever "fix" only transfers the stress (and eventual damage) from the takedown lever to the locking block and frame.

I saw a pre-gen3 Glock that had lockup issues many years ago at the range, the locking lugs on the barrel and slide had been peened extensively. How did they get that way? I don't know for sure but the only thing I could think of was someone releasing the slide with the thing empty. Another thing I would point out is that every point that they make is valid especially slide release and revolver slam issues.
I think you just made my point for me!

You had a early "pre Gen 3" Glock, probably from just past the early bronze period? So an inexpensive, and at this point completely outdated polymer pistol. But Wilson's expensive, custom made 1911 has apparently similar weaknesses.

I'm sorry but I have seen Wilson's $3600+ 9mm 1911 jam, FTF, and lockup during training. When it works its a tack driver and definitely more accurate than a polymer striker fired handgun, but it's finicky wrt what ammunition it will accept and hardly reliable enough to be an EDC.

To post a video that essentially sends a message of hey dummy, you are not smart enough to appreciate my overpriced firearms - but I still want your money - is either the world's most brilliant reverse psychology marketing ploy, or an emerging display of hubris signaling the beginning of the end for Wilson. Time will tell.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I've got to agree with BitterClinger on a couple of points. While these guys may know their products they came off as exceedingly condescending. This was not an educational video, it was a "we watched a bunch of idiots do this."

If the gun is so sensitive to dropping the slide then it is too sensitive for me to carry.

Just my opinion. Yours may vary.

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”