Weapon storage near Glacier national park

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 6

Weapon storage near Glacier national park

Post by CoffeeNut »

My girlfriend and I are planning a nice trip through Montana in the next few months and Glacier National Park is at the top of our list. We also want to pop across the border for a day or two which brings me to my question. Has anyone traveled up there, thought about crossing the border and found a place to leave a handgun? Would a local Sheriff's department be willing to hold onto it?

Bear spray is recommended by the park service and a lot of other people so we'll have some but the park is a long drive from where we'll be staying the rest of our time in Montana and I really don't want to be without a firearm. I also don't want to be hiking around the park relying on glorified pepper spray as my only option for bear/cougar defense.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Weapon storage near Glacier national park

Post by WTR »

I thought it was legal to carry firearms in a National Parks if you are properly licensed. Since about 2010.

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

WTR wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:17 pm I thought it was legal to carry firearms in a National Parks if you are properly licensed. Since about 2010.
It is and I would like to carry there but I can't go into Canada with a handgun. Apparently Mounties frown upon that. Basically if we're that far north for the park then we'd like to go into Canada as well and the gun either has to get stored somewhere or I have to leave it in Helena.

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

If I were in the same situation, I think I would call a local Sheriff's Office and ask to speak with the Sheriff himself/herself. I would explain the situation, emphasizing that I am LTC in Texas, and ask if I could store my weapon in the SO armory for however long I would be in Canada. I would offer to send photos in advance of the handgun, complete with serial numbers. And copies of my DL & LTC. That way he/she could pre-check to make sure everything is on the up and up.

If that didn't work, as a second option I would call a gun store in the area, and tell them the same story. My inclination would be the SO before a LGS - I tend to have more trust in a licensed law officer. YMMV.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

n5wmk wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:13 pm If I were in the same situation, I think I would call a local Sheriff's Office and ask to speak with the Sheriff himself/herself. I would explain the situation, emphasizing that I am LTC in Texas, and ask if I could store my weapon in the SO armory for however long I would be in Canada. I would offer to send photos in advance of the handgun, complete with serial numbers. And copies of my DL & LTC. That way he/she could pre-check to make sure everything is on the up and up.

If that didn't work, as a second option I would call a gun store in the area, and tell them the same story. My inclination would be the SO before a LGS - I tend to have more trust in a licensed law officer. YMMV.
Those are all solid ideas. I think they'd be pretty understanding even if it's not possible for them to store it. I'll start calling once we get a little closer to liftoff. Thanks!

DEB

Post by DEB »

CoffeeNut wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:40 pm
n5wmk wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:13 pm If I were in the same situation, I think I would call a local Sheriff's Office and ask to speak with the Sheriff himself/herself. I would explain the situation, emphasizing that I am LTC in Texas, and ask if I could store my weapon in the SO armory for however long I would be in Canada. I would offer to send photos in advance of the handgun, complete with serial numbers. And copies of my DL & LTC. That way he/she could pre-check to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Those are all solid ideas. I think they'd be pretty understanding even if it's not possible for them to store it. I'll start calling once we get a little closer to liftoff. Thanks!
I have heard of folks using pawn shops for temporary storage. Don't know if one could at a different state, as you would have to do another 4473, just as if you had pawned it. Does the prevention of purchasing a handgun from a different state come into play? I dunno, but it would also probably apply to the Local Gun Store as well...I would be very surprised if a Sheriff's Department or any other L.E. organization allowed storage, just simply due to liability issues. Do you belong to a Veteran's organization,a Church or even an NRA Rep in the area, maybe some routes to go through? Good luck and keep us updated for other's future travels.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

If the aforementioned solutions don't work out just pawn it for the time you're in Canada and retrieve it when you get back. You'll be out the interest on the loan, which shouldn't be much.

DEB Beat me to it!😁
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Regarding Canada and firearms: Restricted firearms are primarily handguns. While they are not firearms, pepper spray, mace, and some knives also are included in this category. A restricted firearm may be brought into Canada, but an Authorization to Transport permit must be obtained in advance from a Provincial or Territorial Chief Firearms Officer. The permit allows a handgun to be in transit, for example to Alaska, but a permit would not be issued to someone simply vacationing in Canada.

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

DEB wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:30 pm
CoffeeNut wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:40 pm

I have heard of folks using pawn shops for temporary storage. Don't know if one could at a different state, as you would have to do another 4473, just as if you had pawned it. Does the prevention of purchasing a handgun from a different state come into play? I dunno, but it would also probably apply to the Local Gun Store as well...I would be very surprised if a Sheriff's Department or any other L.E. organization allowed storage, just simply due to liability issues. Do you belong to a Veteran's organization,a Church or even an NRA Rep in the area, maybe some routes to go through? Good luck and keep us updated for other's future travels.
I don't really have high hopes for any Sheriff to say yes but Montana's gun culture is so prevalent that it might be worth the time calling around. I think if I handed it over to a pawn shop then I wouldn't be able to buy it back since I don't live there. Since I'd be paying some interest it would be an interesting legal question.

If only Canada just let me transport it like I have to in California.

I'll let you know what I come up with. It might be using GPS and digging a hole. :lol::

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

montgomery wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:30 pm Regarding Canada and firearms: Restricted firearms are primarily handguns. While they are not firearms, pepper spray, mace, and some knives also are included in this category. A restricted firearm may be brought into Canada, but an Authorization to Transport permit must be obtained in advance from a Provincial or Territorial Chief Firearms Officer. The permit allows a handgun to be in transit, for example to Alaska, but a permit would not be issued to someone simply vacationing in Canada.
Thanks for the information! I think I'll give Alberta's chief firearms officer a call and see if they have a solution. Based off of my limited reading it appears my handgun would be fine as long as I fill out the appropriate forms, pay $25 and transport it locked. The magazines would be the issue at the border but those are much easier to leave in the states.

rotor

Post by rotor »

how about just contacting an FFL in the area and see if they would hold your firearms (for a fee) until you get back.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

If you're only going to be in Canada for a day or two, why not FedEx the pistol to yourself?

As an example, you stop in Shelby and ship it to yourself via a FedEx facility in Great Falls, hold for pick-up. When you return to Montana, you go there and pick it up.

You would probably need to dispose of your ammo in Shelby and buy new in Great Falls.

Do your homework first. It would suck to find out there is no place to ship from in Shelby.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

A few steps off of a trail, a zip lock, a handfull of leaves, and a perfect memory.

Done and done.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

cirus

Post by cirus »

AJSully421 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:32 pm A few steps off of a trail, a zip lock, a handfull of leaves, and a perfect memory.

Done and done.
:iagree:

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Be sure to take your pass ports or passport cards if you are going to Canada. Not so much for Canada itself but for coming back into the US. It can be a big hassle with out the passport. Didn't use to be that way but it can be now depending on the ICE agents involved.

Storage of the handgun is very problematic. FFL/pawn shop is out because of out of state return plus they have accomplish the background check. I couldn't even get an FFL to do it when a had to go visit a distant military base in state. This is something the NRA should try to address.
Might see if you can do a short term rental of a safe deposit box at a bank up there.
N5PNZ

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”