Houston area shops

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Nickgibson72
Posts in topic: 3

Houston area shops

Post by Nickgibson72 »

Hey all, new to the forum. Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, so sorry in advance if it is not. I just moved to the Houston area (Katy to be exact) from the wonderful state of Taxachusetts. I am looking to start adding to my collection now that I don't have to worry about all the restrictions Massachusetts put on us and am wondering what everyone's opinion is on local shops in the Houston area. I know everyone always has there favorite "go to" shop so just looking for some opinions on it. Thanks in advance guys.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Houston area shops

Post by Jusme »

Welcome to the forum, and freedom! :tiphat:

I'm not in the Houston area, but there will be several folks to come along and guide you where you want to go.
Maybe some specifics on what you are interested in, could help narrow down the options some.
Long guns, handguns, shotguns, etc..
Home defense, EDC, truck gun, et al
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Nickgibson72
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Nickgibson72 »

Ah yes good point sir. For the most part, just looking for pistols at the moment. However, I will definitely be working on an AR build as my truck gun since they were illegal in Mass. But for the time being, just looking at getting some pistols. Was able to bring my 2 sigs with me (P320 and P250). Would love to grab a Glock and CZ, as they were both not allowed in Mass.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Welcome to the forum Nick! Well, you've certainly come to the right place. Many of us here on the forum have built many AR's, in varying calibers, and all of us are into pistols. So since you asked for opinions, I'm sure you will be inundated with them! :lol:

The Houston bunch gets together for breakfast once a month. There's a wealth of information on this board, and a bunch of great gals & guys to get to know.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Collector's Firearms at Fondren and Richmond.

Grumpy1993
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Grumpy1993 »

I suggest Carter's Country if you ever get homesick for the restrictive laws in your home state. :biggrinjester:

In all seriousness, are you looking for a place to shop or a place to buy? I always enjoyed shopping at Collectors Firearms but my wallet didn't enjoy buying there, if you get my drift. As a newcomer to Texas, you should check out the gun counter at your local Academy Sports, if only to get acclimated. Prices aren't bad but usually not great either. If you're on the near-West side, Lone Star Defense & Arms on Long Point has a modest selection in stock, but they'll order for you. They also do reasonably priced FFL transfers if you like to shop online. Finally, assuming you don't have a LTC and don't carry yet, the HCGA show is worth seeing at least once, despite the anti-LTC signs.
Last edited by Grumpy1993 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Boyerts on S. Mason Rd https://boyert.com/ has a good selection and you can try out guns. I've purchased a few handguns from Academy.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Not a Houston shop, however GrabAGun has great prices and ships to your chosen FFL near you.
https://grabagun.com/

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

MaduroBU wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:21 am Collector's Firearms at Fondren and Richmond.
Bring lots of cash. Nice shop lots of inventory but expensive!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Let me put in a BIG plug for Boyert Shooting Center, which was mentioned up-thread. If you go to the range several times a month, then you should strongly consider a membership there. They are the perfect balance (IMHO) between not being all macho intimidating, while also not being too much like a Starbucks. Friendly staff, good selection of guns on hand, reasonably priced memberships with unlimited range sessions. I have been a member at their highest tier (they keep changing the name of it) for around 4 years now, and I love it.

They also have free FFL transfers if you get the right level of membership, and they won't give you grief about buying online, even if they sell the same model themselves. Just really great folks. There is one location in Katy on Mason road just south of I-10, and another on Westheimer just East of Gessner. It works out perfectly for me because the Katy location is near my house (for weekends) and the Westheimer location is 5 minutes from my work (for lunch time). I've been known to go there to the point that they know me by name.

Other than that, I second Academy for price, Collectors for selection (but definitely NOT for price), Bass Pro (Katy Mills mall) for something in between those two. But honestly, if you already know what you want, and it's relatively common guns like the Glock and CZ you mentioned, then just check out Buds gun shop or Grab a gun (both online). Just make sure you add the shipping and sales tax to Grab a gun's prices to get an apples to apples comparison.

Also look at the marketplace section of this site if you are OK buying used. It is a great way to meet local folks who are into guns. And I've never met anyone through this site who wasn't a truly good person.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Primary Arms on the south Beltway near Highway 288 They are a Webstore but you can pick up stuff there if you want to avoid shopping and FFL costs. Quality stuff at a good price. The best of 2 worlds online shopping and LGS.
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info to be found here.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Liberty wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:03 pm Primary Arms on the south Beltway near Highway 288 They are a Webstore but you can pick up stuff there if you want to avoid shopping and FFL costs. Quality stuff at a good price. The best of 2 worlds online shopping and LGS.
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info to be found here.
:iagree:

You can go there and buy, but they make you order online (they have several PC's set-up for this). Very good quality at reasonable prices, especially for scopes.

howdy

Post by howdy »

All the suggestions are good. I too live in Katy. I will buy just about anywhere EXCEPT Dick's. They severed their ties with the gun community after the Florida school shooting and I haven't been back in their store since. (Please correct me if things have changed)
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I wanted to add a couple places not mentioned so on, and a tip or two.

First, there is a Bass Pro in Katy Mills Mall that has a decent selection. I feel confident there is a Cabela's somewhere in town also. Both are owned by the same company now, both sell guns and have a decent selection. Both are kind of high priced in my opinion, but they have the guns there.

Academy was mentioned and has a fair selection in the store. But they also have a very good selection on their web site that you can order from. You pay on line but they deliver through their own store, so there is no extra shipping or FFL transfer fees. On a separate point, if you are a veteran, Academy occasionally does sales for 10% off everything in their store for veterans/military/first responders. This includes firearms and their web site. I believe they have one going on right now through July 6.

As a tip, look for the police supply stores. They will almost always have decent selections of guns for self-defense. I believe most of Houston PD uses Central Police Supply (or they did when I was living in Houston 30 years ago. If you go to the Glock web site, they have a dealer locator page that is handy. Specifically, look for "blue label" dealers. These are the guys who sell enough to cops that I would bet on them having a decent selection also. Obviously, this is not a foolproof way, but I think it might be a fair bet.

Welcome to the state and to the forum.
Steve Rothstein

Malawler

Post by Malawler »

Well since you're in Katy, I will put in a plug for my good friend at Guns Unlimited on Mason Rd. I've known the owner for a long time and if he doesn't have what you want right then, he will get it! :thumbs2:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”