Excess guns

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Excess guns

Post by joe817 »

AndyC wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:24 am You know, I've found myself in the fortunate position of having more guns than I can reasonably shoot - not that there's anything wrong with that at all. However, my most recent rifle-build (a full-length 21" FN-FAL on a DSA receiver) is really making me question my life-choices.

It's a very nice build; I cranked the barrel on carefully and used timing-sticks to make sure the front-sight was perfectly aligned top-dead-center, headspaced it well, etc - but it brings me little joy to just have it there in the safe. I've fired *maybe* 40 rounds through it just to get it run-in and sighted in and it performs marvelously, but my Para FAL is my go-to and gets all the love. I always figured having both variants would be cool, but I'm just not feeling it.

Anyone else have a red-headed step-child in their safe? Something that's very decent but the love just isn't there?
I'd be glad to adopt it! As long as the adoption fees aren't to steep. :biggrinjester:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

AndyC wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:24 am You know, I've found myself in the fortunate position of having more guns than I can reasonably shoot - not that there's anything wrong with that at all. However, my most recent rifle-build (a full-length 21" FN-FAL on a DSA receiver) is really making me question my life-choices.

It's a very nice build; I cranked the barrel on carefully and used timing-sticks to make sure the front-sight was perfectly aligned top-dead-center, headspaced it well, etc - but it brings me little joy to just have it there in the safe. I've fired *maybe* 40 rounds through it just to get it run-in and sighted in and it performs marvelously, but my Para FAL is my go-to and gets all the love. I always figured having both variants would be cool, but I'm just not feeling it.

Anyone else have a red-headed step-child in their safe? Something that's very decent but the love just isn't there?
The appropriate term is "barter guns" as there is really no such thing as excess guns. :biggrinjester:

montgomery
Posts in topic: 1

Post by montgomery »

Fake News. No such thing as excess guns. :fire

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

montgomery wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:37 am

Fake News. No such thing as excess guns. :fire
This.

It like having too much money or being too good-looking. I've never experience any of these things. :smilelol5:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

flechero

Post by flechero »

I have a couple that I don't shoot but I still enjoy owning them.

My real excess guns are really just temporary custody holds... that my late father-in-law left for my son... but they take up room in my safe and I can't really fit anything else in it. So until I find another storage option, my buying is at a standstill. (and he's only 10, so it's not a short term problem!) And I have no room or budget for another safe. :cryin

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

I am running out of space, my wife suggested to open a gun shop and me as a gunsmith, precision shooter expert, store manager, etc...
She wants all my toys out of the house to their new dedicated house.
:thewave
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

When I got
This https://photos.app.goo.gl/zVAuS2j8CJ2senPi8
After I have had this https://photos.app.goo.gl/GsYfvyaRokornD2e9
Maybe it is the time to sell the Turkish delight.
Beiruty,

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Send links to photos, maybe someone can help you with your dementation.
Beiruty,

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Beiruty wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:52 am When I got
This https://photos.app.goo.gl/zVAuS2j8CJ2senPi8
After I have had this https://photos.app.goo.gl/GsYfvyaRokornD2e9
Maybe it is the time to sell the Turkish delight.
Nice looking SIG!

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I know we all jest and have fun with things like your post.. But in a way I agree with you...

I like to shoot... Plain and simple.... I have both tools and toys.... My tools are my carry guns, varment guns, etc... My toys are all of the rest... I tend to buy and sell guns like baseball cards.... If it's not one of the "tools' then it's fair game as to whether or not I'll keep it... My AR-15 went to the range 2 times in 1 year... SOLD..... My little Ruger SR-22 3 times last year.. SOLD.... I just got a new wheel gun in and my MP-43 is sitting at my LGS waiting for me to pick it up....

I have 5 9mm fun pistols.... 2 I would sell immediately because I just don't shoot them.... The other 3 are all different enough to keep me interested.... I just don't see any reason to keep them if I can sell and use the money to buy something different that I want to play with....

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well, the first one that comes to my mind is my Marlin 1895G Guide Gun in .45-70 Gov’t. I’ve wanted one for years, and the one I own now is a VERY nice pre-Remington JM stamped example, but I’ve found that I just don't enjoy shooting it. I never used to be recoil sensitive until I bought this rifle. I’ve come to the conclusion that .45-70 Gov’t is similar to a 500 Kt Russian thermonuclear warhead I was reading about just yesterday, for which hitting 500 meters from a hardened target was considered a direct hit achieving total destruction of the target. I’ve had the devil's own time zeroing this rifle because it beats the snot out of me, and I don’t want to fire enough rounds to achieve and verify zero. I’m guessing that a .45-70 hit ANYWHERE on a game animal's body is considered a direct hit, achieving total destruction of the target. I’ve tried selling it here for a few months now, but all of y’all are as scared of it as I am. :mrgreen:

I think that .45-70 is a good reloader's platform for anyone interested in reloading....... Andy ...... ;-)

I’d be open to trading a Jm stamped Model 1895G in .45-70, with upgraded sights, 118 unfired factory rounds, and 62 pieces of once-fired brass, for a nice example of a 21" FAL built on a DSA receiver, with a couple of proper magazines.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I do not understand the concept of "excess guns". Perhaps it is similar to the observable phenomenon of "excess rockets". I have 20 or 30 model rocket kits on the shelf. I may get around to building them or I may not.

I have two pistols. I carry two pistols. No excess.

Rockets, however, one can never have too many rockets.

:biggrinjester:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Andy, I understand. I had a budget Turkish over-and-under. Nice enough for what it was and for what I paid for it, but I rarely shot the thing. Ended up trading it toward something else.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”