Transferring a Handgun to My Adult Son

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Transferring a Handgun to My Adult Son

Post by OneGun »

Crash wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:06 pm Don't know where else to post this, so here goes:

I want to transfer ownership, i.e., give, a handgun to my adult son who lives in another city in Texas. As far as I know, the gun ( a S&W Model 10 manufactured in 1980) has never been registered under Texas laws. I (a private purchaser) bought it at a gun show from another private individual, not a gun dealer. There was no paperwork done and I paid cash for it. I doubt that it was ever on a 4473. Can I just give it to my son (who is not and has never been a felon) without doing a legal transfer?

Thanks for your help,

Crash
Dad

You promised the S&W to me, remember?

You son OneGun.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Crash »

OneGun wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:23 am
Crash wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:06 pm Don't know where else to post this, so here goes:

I want to transfer ownership, i.e., give, a handgun to my adult son who lives in another city in Texas. As far as I know, the gun ( a S&W Model 10 manufactured in 1980) has never been registered under Texas laws. I (a private purchaser) bought it at a gun show from another private individual, not a gun dealer. There was no paperwork done and I paid cash for it. I doubt that it was ever on a 4473. Can I just give it to my son (who is not and has never been a felon) without doing a legal transfer?

Thanks for your help,

Crash
Dad

You promised the S&W to me, remember?

You son OneGun.
OneGun,

Sorry, son, but your older brother got it. Maybe I'll give you a BB gun someday....

Crash

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Crash wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:14 pm ..........
puma guy,

I didn't know that they were using 4473s as far back as 1968. Anyway, when I bought it from a private seller at a gun show (don't remember the year, but it was nearly 10 years ago), of course I didn't fill out a 4473. He gave me the gun, I gave him the money and that was it. So, it was never registered to me.

Crash
I've run into this so often in class that I've included a section on the 4473. That form is only for the use of the dealer to verify that you can legally purchase the firearm and for his record of the transfer. It is not a registration form. The only time anyone else would even see it is during a BATF inspection or if then dealer goes out of business. And in the latter they are just boxed up and placed in BATF storage.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I've sold and traded a number of guns over the years. I've also given a gun to my wife (and she gave one to me). I have several guns that I plan to give to my kids as soon as they turn 18 - come to think of it, my oldest is 18, so I guess I need to formally "give" her the little .22 rifle I bought on her 12th birthday. I'll still hold it in my safe, of course, since she currently lives in a dorm at college. I suspect that she also has little practical use for a .22lr single shot rifle.

None of these legal transfers required any paper work. The only legal document for any private transfers I have done was when my ex-wife insisted on getting my favorite revolver (at the time) in the divorce. That was formally documented in our divorce decree.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:10 pm I've sold and traded a number of guns over the years. I've also given a gun to my wife (and she gave one to me). I have several guns that I plan to give to my kids as soon as they turn 18 - come to think of it, my oldest is 18, so I guess I need to formally "give" her the little .22 rifle I bought on her 12th birthday. I'll still hold it in my safe, of course, since she currently lives in a dorm at college. I suspect that she also has little practical use for a .22lr single shot rifle.

None of these legal transfers required any paper work. The only legal document for any private transfers I have done was when my ex-wife insisted on getting my favorite revolver (at the time) in the divorce. That was formally documented in our divorce decree.
Sorry for your loss.
:txflag: :patriot:

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

So, it was never registered to me.

Crash
[/quote]

Because that is impossible to do, no state or federal register exists.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”