How to Carry Cell Phone

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 3

How to Carry Cell Phone

Post by troglodyte »

As my life evolves and what I have to do/carry I am finding it harder to find a good way to carry my cell phone. I have, for years, carried in my left front shirt pocket. Now, as my work has changed, I am in positions that allow my phone to fall out of my pocket and most pockets aren't deep enough to button over the top. Unrelated to my job, I am carrying a sling pack containing "accessories" more and the strap goes right across the pocket.

I carry an iPhone 8 with a case so it is a larger phone. 3:00 is my holster, 8:30-9:00 is my reloads, 7:30 is my radio when at church, 6:00 is my CAT TQ when training. Front pockets - Keys, knives, and whatever other knick-knacks; back pockets - wallet and TQ. Not all my shirts have a right front pockets and that still wouldn't alleviate the falling out problem. I'm not partial to pants pocket carry as I find it uncomfortable and can't get past the idea of the phone bending and shattering the screen.

I've seen several belt holsters, even kydex to match my mag carriers, but I'm about out of room on my belt and I still need to access my pockets.

I am kicking around the idea of a carpenter's or cargo-type pants with more pockets but want to try to explore some other options, partially as to not have to make a big wardrobe change all at once.

Any suggestions on how to carry a cell phone when your belt is already full? If all else fails I may just duct tape it to my head.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to Carry Cell Phone

Post by Jusme »

You may have to look at a custom made phone/mag holder type set up.
I don't know anything about this company, but they have several combinations, and can probably fix you up with what you are looking for.
https://www.ethossurvival.us/
I wear carpenter pants and my phone fits well in the right side tool pocket.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

joe817

Post by joe817 »

As far as convenience and comfort goes, I opt for pants & shorts with cargo pockets at every opportunity. In fact I only have one pair of shorts that do not have cargo pockets. And several pairs of pants with cargo pockets.

Check out 5.11 line of pants. Or Deluth Trading, or Dickies. There's a ton of them out there. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

DocV

Post by DocV »

It is an expesive solution but an iPhone IV with cellular will, according to OffspringV, "change your life" and allow you to "no longer be held prisoner by an iPhone". At least, that is what the thank you note said.
Last edited by DocV on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

It sounds like your belt is pretty full already. But, I've been carrying my phone in a holster type setup on my belt for many years made by these people.

https://www.moonshineleather.com/leathe ... cases.dept

I've never had my phone fall out yet. That includes welding shop work, mechanic work, mowing, plowing, and all kinds of hunting activities. I've also never had a phone damaged while riding in one of their cases. If you have room on your belt for one more thing, I highly recommend their products. They have stitched leather loops that you put your belt through so there is no clip to break.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I now have to carry two IPhones. I hate the otter box, but because I am so hard on phones I use the otter box with the belt clip. I despise it, but it works. The phone that is a plus size I carry about 11:45-11:55 (left side) with my mags right behind them. My regular size phone I carry at about 1:30-2:00 (right side) and my pistol at 3:00-3:30 most of the time. Depending on back pain everything is subject to change from time to time.

cirus

Post by cirus »

I have a cell phone but don't carry it on my person. I'm electrical contractor and can't do the work I do with a phone on me. If I'm in the truck it's laying on the seat beside me. If I'm on the job it's laying around close by where I might hear it. If I go to a restaurant at lunch I'll leave it in the truck. If I do have it on me its in my shirt pocket where it falls out. I find cell phones an annoying necessary evil.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Duluth Trading cargo pants and shorts are fantastic. I bought a couple of pairs of their fire hose shorts awhile back. The extra crotch room makes them very comfortable. Lots of pockets. They are pricey but will last a long time.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

flechero

Post by flechero »

anygunanywhere wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:50 am fire hose shorts... extra crotch room
:lol::

Some marketing guy just drew out my inner teenager! :lol:

mojohn

Post by mojohn »

You do not weigh enough. You need to gain weight=extra belt length for your phone.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I tend to carry my primary handgun on my right side (strong side) and everything else on my left (weak side). My cell is a Galaxy S8 in an otterbox w/ belt clip. I absolutely hate how big it makes the phone among other things but due to my work environment and other factors it protects the phone better than anything else I have tried and I have had no phone damage while using them. My phone sits at 9:00.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

How about a smart watch instead?

I picked up a Samsung Gear S3 watch a few months ago when Amazon was having a sale ($110 plus tax). Mine is the bluetooth version. I can answer calls on it (surprisingly good audio), read email and texts, and get alerts from most of my other phone apps. Sending email/texts is tedious but can be done in a pinch. I can also initiate calls from the watch as well. I'm still experimenting with it, but, I like it a lot more than I expected.

In the OP's case, he can put the phone in the sling bag and do much of his comms via the watch.

I hate stuff in my pockets, too.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

eieio1

Post by eieio1 »

Take a look at the Carhartt site. They have a number of pants and shorts that have a cell phone pocket on the right side of the leg. Their canvas work shorts are my favorite - I have several pairs in various colors. The phone pocket is not loose like a cargo short pocket where your phone would be moving around. With the phone on the side I feel there is less likelihood that it will be damaged due to whacking it on something.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO
NRA Instructor - Rifle and Shotgun

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”