Well that was weird. Glock 17 trigger & mods

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 3

Well that was weird. Glock 17 trigger & mods

Post by tomneal »

I am generally a 1911 shooter. I shoot in USPSA competitions.

A few years back, I bought a Glock 17 Gen 4, for competing in Production division. I bought a ghost trigger disconnector, etc. and upgraded the trigger to something lighter and smoother. It's still not a 1911 trigger but it was better (in my mind) than stock Glock.

Last year, I had cataract surgery then a couple of weeks later, my retina detached in my dominate eye. It's been reattached but the rods & cones are not aligned as well as they were originally (or maybe the nut is cross threaded). This month, makes it 1 year since the retina was reattached and while my vision is much better...

Anyway,
I've found that red dots are easier for me to shoot than conventional sights.

I decided to try USPSA 'Carry Optics'.

I was thinking of buying a G17 MOS but my better half suggested that I didn't need another gun. (I should not have mentioned it.)

Plan B:
Sight upgrades are not a new gun so...
All I needed was a dot scope attached to my G17 slide.

I searched the internet for someone that would cut my existing slide. Then I found that Brownells had G17 slides cut for a Trijicon RMR. So, "a few dollars" in parts, Slide, Slide Completion Kit, Trijicon RMR and I would have a Carry Optics pistol.

It's been several years since I installed the trigger on the G17 so I found youtube videos explaining how to install the Slide Completion Kit. I ordered a tool from Amazon to install the striker channel sleeve. It arrived around the same time as the parts.

A couple of thoughts. There are some TINY parts in the slide. The spring cups, and some of the springs. Some of those parts went 'sprong' and were lost in the detritus of my office. I bought replacements.

The Lone Wolf firing pin safety didn't quite fit. I bought a replacement.

I eventually got both slides back together and functioning.

Now for the weird part.
When I assemble with the original slide, the trigger is just as light as it has been since my earlier mods.
When I assemble with the new 'Carry Optics' slide, the trigger is worse than the factory trigger. It is kind of light then when you get to the last couple of Millimeters that are available, the pull 'bunches' up before finally breaks. Groups with the new configuration looked more like shotgun patterns.
Last night, I was going to try again. I pulled the slide and started removing parts. I had difficulty removing the extractor and the firing pin safety. Decided it was too late, gave up, and just put the slide back together again. When I dry fired, my competition trigger job was back on the Carry Optics Slide.
What the heck?
No parts were changed.
I just took apart the slide (except for the extractor and the firing pin safety) and put it back together.

Maybe, there was some grit dislodged.
Maybe the universe took pity on me.

In any case, it's time to crank out some 9MM's on my Dillon 650.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Well that was weird. Glock 17 trigger & mods

Post by ammoboy2 »

Your striker safety had interference or grittiness associate with its movement and that was what effecting your trigger pull. The trigger bar engages the striker safety to allow the striker to impact the primer at the end of its movement. You want the striker safety button to freely move to prevent that issue.

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Thanks
I shot a match yesterday. The trigger worked great.
I popped the slide off, put it back on, and now my trigger is horrible again.
I am going to work on the striker safety and try again.
See you at the range

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I popped the slide again and worked the stricker safety button. Trigger is back to 'good'.
Wow!
See you at the range

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”