Gun Safe help - and perhaps more

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Gun Safe help - and perhaps more

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

cheezit wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:35 pm If you have to get In it and dont care about damage the quickist way in is a plasma cutter
Yeah. That is a tool everyone has laying around. :biggrinjester:

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 6

Post by chasfm11 »

Thanks for information on your situation, TAM. $300 would be better than the $700 that the widow has been quoted so if we end up going that route and the widow's safe would be similar to yours to open, you have done her a service with your information.

I wish you the best with your situation. As you know, sometimes computerized stuff gets so messed up that a power on reset is required. Of course, that could scramble the combination, too. I hope your friend is able to start a new life after his sentence ends.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:40 pm Thanks for information on your situation, TAM. $300 would be better than the $700 that the widow has been quoted so if we end up going that route and the widow's safe would be similar to yours to open, you have done her a service with your information.

I wish you the best with your situation. As you know, sometimes computerized stuff gets so messed up that a power on reset is required. Of course, that could scramble the combination, too. I hope your friend is able to start a new life after his sentence ends.
Thanks. I actually succeeded in opening the safe! Changing the battery seemed to do the trick. The keypad would beep, etc. when the combination was entered, but it wouldn’t unlock the door. Maybe there wasn’t enough juice? Anyway, it worked, and I didn’t have to have it drilled.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

madwildcat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by madwildcat »

While it may not help your friend feel safer about the safe, if it has an electronic lock like the one TAM had, it can sometimes be bypasses with a little wiring and the appropriate batteries ("juicing"). I had a situation similar to TAM's and had to look into alternative entry methods. Its another Youtube-able thing. For many of the electronic safes, the lock is built into the electronics and you CAN bypass it carefully.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:37 pm
cheezit wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:35 pm If you have to get In it and dont care about damage the quickist way in is a plasma cutter
I know a strange group of people then.

Topic author
chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

AndyC wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:26 pm
chasfm11 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:03 pm And, as seems to happen in too many families, there is a vulture type who knows about the guns in the safe and wants to "help."
Get the safe moved.
I'm guessing that it is bolted to the floor. I hope to know more next week.
Dum Spiro, Spero

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:37 pm
I have 2 of them in my garage. ;-)
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

flechero

my wife doesnt care to memorize the combo so...

Post by flechero »

i have traded with a brother an m-i-l, each a sealed envelope with our respective safe combo in an otherwise unmarked (no names) envelope for just this purpose. I also keep my parents combo in my safe. since we all live in different cities, the risk is minuscule.

Before that, my combo was kept with my will- in my attorney's locked files.

Topic author
chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Good news! Based on the information shared here which I passed on, the widow was able to find the key and get into the safe. The immediate need to access the important papers has been satisfied. Thank you.

I don't know yet if I'll be involved with the gun collection. I don't think that she is ready to start dealing with those. If so, I might need help with some identification. Or she might decide to handle it all without my input. My prayers are with her either way. She is in a difficult situation.
Dum Spiro, Spero

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:46 am Good news! Based on the information shared here which I passed on, the widow was able to find the key and get into the safe. The immediate need to access the important papers has been satisfied. Thank you.

I don't know yet if I'll be involved with the gun collection. I don't think that she is ready to start dealing with those. If so, I might need help with some identification. Or she might decide to handle it all without my input. My prayers are with her either way. She is in a difficult situation.
Good news, and good luck to the family going forward.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”