Walmart has fallen!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Post Reply
User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 17
Posts: 10451
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#76

Post by carlson1 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:52 am

Txtension wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:46 am
ralewis wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am
i"m also ok trying increase awareness so that folks feel empowered to make a phone call on somebody they think shouldn't' have access to a gun so the Police can do a welfare check. I'm not settled on the idea of "red flag' laws, but I personally would definitely call the police if somebody i knew with access to firearms was behaving significantly out of the norm.
Sounds like normalizing Swatting gun owners, while sacrificing a good amount of 4th and 5th amendment.

There's nothing wrong with taking somebody's weapons, as long as that person has been convicted first, by a jury. Otherwise red flag laws are just a means for the anti's to weaponize the law/government against people and behavior, THEY, don't like.
This guy calls the FBI over 100’s of times. They didn’t do anything. He is shooting from the second story of his shack, points a gun at his neighbor, and they call 911 and the Sheriff’s Department doesn’t even show up. What else do you want? How many more red flags can you have? This is a case where the Government dropped the ball AGAIN and their answer is to take more of my liberties.
Image


Russell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#77

Post by Russell » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:21 pm

ralewis wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am

As for background checks, LTC folks have that covered as we voluntarily submit to them every 5 years. I can't get too upset by expanding background checks since I have voluntarily done so 3 times here in TX (and multiple times in the military with security clearances.). If i have to pay $25 to get give my son a gun, so be it - maybe we negotiate for a sales tax credit or something to offset.

How do we document that this background check was done? Are you required to hold on to the paperwork now forever, lest you or your son be charged with the illegal transfer of a firearm?

That sounds silly to expect you Mr. Citizen to have to hold on to something so important that it keeps you out of jail. You already had to do the background check with a governmental entity, so let's just let them hold on to it instead. We'll label it as a background check for the transfer of a firearm that way we know that's what it was done for. The background check needs to be for each firearm though, so let's put the serial number for the firearm here so that it doesn't get lost....

Totally not a State-run gun registry. I promise.
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006

User avatar

bbhack
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 pm
Location: San Antonio Area

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#78

Post by bbhack » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:27 pm



Walmart, after having destroyed American retail and made this country much uglier, and empowered the fascist government of China, has a lot of brass lecturing the rest of us...
No Trespassing Violators Will Be Prosecuted


ralewis
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#79

Post by ralewis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:08 pm

Txtension wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:46 am
ralewis wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am
i"m also ok trying increase awareness so that folks feel empowered to make a phone call on somebody they think shouldn't' have access to a gun so the Police can do a welfare check. I'm not settled on the idea of "red flag' laws, but I personally would definitely call the police if somebody i knew with access to firearms was behaving significantly out of the norm.
Sounds like normalizing Swatting gun owners, while sacrificing a good amount of 4th and 5th amendment.

There's nothing wrong with taking somebody's weapons, as long as that person has been convicted first, by a jury. Otherwise red flag laws are just a means for the anti's to weaponize the law/government against people and behavior, THEY, don't like.
I as a citizen am aware enough to make a phone call if somebody I know has become unstable and likely dangerous. This is just being observant and taking action same as I would if I heard glass breaking in my neighbors house. This will likely be labeled "red flag", but at some point it's just necessary to identify risk and take action. Not sure what label we end up with, but in all of these cases it seems like there was somebody (or the authorities) who were not surprised somebody went nuts an shot something up.


ralewis
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#80

Post by ralewis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:10 pm

Russell wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:21 pm
ralewis wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am

As for background checks, LTC folks have that covered as we voluntarily submit to them every 5 years. I can't get too upset by expanding background checks since I have voluntarily done so 3 times here in TX (and multiple times in the military with security clearances.). If i have to pay $25 to get give my son a gun, so be it - maybe we negotiate for a sales tax credit or something to offset.

How do we document that this background check was done? Are you required to hold on to the paperwork now forever, lest you or your son be charged with the illegal transfer of a firearm?

That sounds silly to expect you Mr. Citizen to have to hold on to something so important that it keeps you out of jail. You already had to do the background check with a governmental entity, so let's just let them hold on to it instead. We'll label it as a background check for the transfer of a firearm that way we know that's what it was done for. The background check needs to be for each firearm though, so let's put the serial number for the firearm here so that it doesn't get lost....

Totally not a State-run gun registry. I promise.
Slippery slope I know... but I'm a pragmatist. Anyone evaluating the tea leaves should conclude this is the direction we're going, so it seems better to provide constructive suggestions to influence the outcome.

User avatar

canvasbck
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:45 pm
Location: Alvin

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#81

Post by canvasbck » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:21 pm

Hmm.......so a store that sells all of the following has to choose to get rid of the most dangerous (they missed)

Cigarettes
Beer/wine
Swimming pool chemicals
pesticides
candy
high fructose corn syrup
frozen pizza
cheese flavored popcorn
margarine
lard
power tools
pistol ammo
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"


ralewis
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#82

Post by ralewis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Russell wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:21 pm
ralewis wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am

As for background checks, LTC folks have that covered as we voluntarily submit to them every 5 years. I can't get too upset by expanding background checks since I have voluntarily done so 3 times here in TX (and multiple times in the military with security clearances.). If i have to pay $25 to get give my son a gun, so be it - maybe we negotiate for a sales tax credit or something to offset.

How do we document that this background check was done? Are you required to hold on to the paperwork now forever, lest you or your son be charged with the illegal transfer of a firearm?

That sounds silly to expect you Mr. Citizen to have to hold on to something so important that it keeps you out of jail. You already had to do the background check with a governmental entity, so let's just let them hold on to it instead. We'll label it as a background check for the transfer of a firearm that way we know that's what it was done for. The background check needs to be for each firearm though, so let's put the serial number for the firearm here so that it doesn't get lost....

Totally not a State-run gun registry. I promise.
yeah so how about a background check card. Or maybe check a box on your drivers license renewal to request a background check. As long as you have an active valid background check you can possess or receive a firearm. Tie the background check to the individual not the firearm.

I do this for my kids school. I don’t need a new background check for every school volunteer event.

I use my LTC this way when I buy a gun.
Last edited by ralewis on Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Syntyr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#83

Post by Syntyr » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:07 pm

Flightmare wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:18 am
hondo44 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:58 am
Oldgringo wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:58 am
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:39 pm
Image
:iagree:
incredibly ridiculous. Walmart is a private company and has the right to set whatever policies it sees fit. If you don't like it, don't shop there.

I am shocked at the blatant disregard for private property rights with regard to Walmart.
Nobody has said that walmart does not have the right to set these policies. Many (including the NRA) have stated their disagreement with these policies. Have you seen people posting asking for legislative action to punish or prohibit Walmart from instituting this policy? I personally have not. I've seen people complain about the policy change and state they are not planning to shop there. Which is exactly what you are saying to do. So I'm confused as to what you are upset about.
:iagree:
This.
Walmart can do whatever they want. The 2000 rounds of 223 I bought yesterday will be my last Walmart purchase.
Havent set foot in Target, HEB or Whatburger in a good long time either. But that's just me
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Remo Williams
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni


The Marshal
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:16 am
Location: Rockwall TX

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#84

Post by The Marshal » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:16 pm

canvasbck wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:21 pm
Hmm.......so a store that sells all of the following has to choose to get rid of the most dangerous (they missed)

Cigarettes
Beer/wine
Swimming pool chemicals
pesticides
candy
high fructose corn syrup
frozen pizza
cheese flavored popcorn
margarine
lard
power tools
pistol ammo
You forgot TidePods....
"If it can save one child's life.... think of the children!"


gduncan52
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#85

Post by gduncan52 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:18 pm

I just got back from some grocery shopping at Kroger in Mansfield. I opened carry there as I have since the first day it was legal to. Have never had a problem and didn't have any problems. My wife reminded me that the Kroger CEO "requested" that customers not open carry. He did not say they prohibited it. Until I see a 30.07 sign or I am told verbally, I am going to continue on. If either of those happen I will move down the street to the Market Street store and spend my average $6,000 a year there.


ralewis
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#86

Post by ralewis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:19 pm

carlson1 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:52 am
Txtension wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:46 am
ralewis wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am
i"m also ok trying increase awareness so that folks feel empowered to make a phone call on somebody they think shouldn't' have access to a gun so the Police can do a welfare check. I'm not settled on the idea of "red flag' laws, but I personally would definitely call the police if somebody i knew with access to firearms was behaving significantly out of the norm.
Sounds like normalizing Swatting gun owners, while sacrificing a good amount of 4th and 5th amendment.

There's nothing wrong with taking somebody's weapons, as long as that person has been convicted first, by a jury. Otherwise red flag laws are just a means for the anti's to weaponize the law/government against people and behavior, THEY, don't like.
This guy calls the FBI over 100’s of times. They didn’t do anything. He is shooting from the second story of his shack, points a gun at his neighbor, and they call 911 and the Sheriff’s Department doesn’t even show up. What else do you want? How many more red flags can you have? This is a case where the Government dropped the ball AGAIN and their answer is to take more of my liberties.
Yup. I think it's crazy how many times we've seen examples where we should have been pretty close to preventing an event. I don't know if it's our reticence to interfere with peoples lives or just not taking things as seriously as we should. Of course, had the FBI or local law enforcement went to this guys house and took his guns away, we'd probably be having the argument her about lack of due process. Its impossible to prove what you could have prevented, only evaluate what happened.


1911 Raptor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 am

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#87

Post by 1911 Raptor » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 pm

gduncan52 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:18 pm
I just got back from some grocery shopping at Kroger in Mansfield. I opened carry there as I have since the first day it was legal to. Have never had a problem and didn't have any problems. My wife reminded me that the Kroger CEO "requested" that customers not open carry. He did not say they prohibited it. Until I see a 30.07 sign or I am told verbally, I am going to continue on. If either of those happen I will move down the street to the Market Street store and spend my average $6,000 a year there.
Which Kroger the one on Matlock or on Broad? I live in Mansfield as well.


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#88

Post by K.Mooneyham » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Well, I'll say one thing. This topic sure has brought out the "let's be reasonable and sell out our rights" trolls.


strogg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: DFW (Denton County)

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#89

Post by strogg » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Am I going to be one of those "sell our rights" trolls? My reaction is somewhat different than most. I can see why they implemented that policy from a PR and "safety" perspective. Although I don't agree with them at all, I won't condemn them for it. They are a free enterprise; they can do what they wish. Just like how I am free to do whatever I want with my wallet's contents.

On a side note, I've been to a lot of Walmarts. The sketchiest one I've ever visited is in Linda, CA about 4 years ago. They had some really cheap ammo there. As I was telling the lady with the keys what I was looking for, she proceeded to regale me with a story about a customer who scared the living daylights out of her. Apparently, he walked up to her, took his pistol out of his pocket, and slammed it on the counter. He asked her if she can help him find a holster for that pistol. Fortunately for her, things ended uneventfully, but I do sometimes get concerned about that store's clientele. He really should learn about gun safety and etiquette. But regardless, if anything went down that day, and he happened to be there, I would be glad to have him by me.


Grayling813
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 980
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

Re: Walmart has fallen!

#90

Post by Grayling813 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:09 pm

Hornady and Walmart
Keep asking the question, “Cui bono?” (For whose benefit?)
“Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.”
~ Henry David Thoreau

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”