Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
timdske
Posts in topic: 2

Private gun sales

Post by timdske »

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the state. My 1 year anniversary is the end of this month. We love it here. Anyway, my question is on private gun sales here. I wasn't able to find my answer through a search and the Texas gun laws don't touch on my question. I'm looking for info so I can continue batteling the anti-gunners. If a person is buying a firearm from a private seller does the seller have an obligation to see if the person is from Texas? Or can they just blindly sell to anyone who wants to buy? I know my former state of Illinois we had to make sure the person had all the correct credentials and had to run a background check.
I appreciate the help. Thanks

rm9792
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Private gun sales

Post by rm9792 »

You dont have to legally but it is a good idea. If they roll up looking like a criminal and have out of state plates you should probably walk away. Most on this site just sell to people with LTC. A bill of sale is not needed but is advisable and you can politely ask for a license this way. You cant really "blindly" sell, it is on you to be reasonably sure it is a legal sale. You can legally even sell through the mail within the state but most strangers will not do it.

Topic author
timdske
Posts in topic: 2

Post by timdske »

rm9792 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:03 pm You dont have to legally but it is a good idea. If they roll up looking like a criminal and have out of state plates you should probably walk away. Most on this site just sell to people with LTC. A bill of sale is not needed but is advisable and you can politely ask for a license this way. You cant really "blindly" sell, it is on you to be reasonably sure it is a legal sale. You can legally even sell through the mail within the state but most strangers will not do it.
I'm really just curious with the shooting over in West Texas if they'll go after the private seller.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

timdske wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:44 pm
rm9792 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:03 pm You dont have to legally but it is a good idea. If they roll up looking like a criminal and have out of state plates you should probably walk away. Most on this site just sell to people with LTC. A bill of sale is not needed but is advisable and you can politely ask for a license this way. You cant really "blindly" sell, it is on you to be reasonably sure it is a legal sale. You can legally even sell through the mail within the state but most strangers will not do it.
I'm really just curious with the shooting over in West Texas if they'll go after the private seller.
They would have to be able to prove who it was that sold him the rifle, and then be able to prove that the seller knew that he was a prohibited purchaser and sold it to him anyways.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I believe you have an obligation to make sure they are from Texas. Simple as looking at a DL. You can’t sale to a known criminal. So if they are from Texas and as for as you know they are not a convicted criminal or showing signs of insanity you are legal to sale. However you do have some responsibility not to just sale to anyone and it should be that way. I just don’t think we as private citizens have to jump through hoops from the Government to sale a friend or family member a firearm.

hondo44
Banned

Post by hondo44 »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:06 pm You can’t sale to a known criminal. So if they are from Texas and as for as you know they are not a convicted criminal or showing signs of insanity you are legal to sale. However you do have some responsibility not to just sale to anyone and it should be that way.
Careful now, statements like this will get you branded as a "libtard" and "gun grabber" on here.
Chinese SKS, Yugo SKS, Romanian AK-74, Mossberg 500, Hi-Point 9mm carbine, Colt 2000 IWB

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

hondo44 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:11 pm
carlson1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:06 pm You can’t sale to a known criminal. So if they are from Texas and as for as you know they are not a convicted criminal or showing signs of insanity you are legal to sale. However you do have some responsibility not to just sale to anyone and it should be that way.
Careful now, statements like this will get you branded as a "libtard" and "gun grabber" on here.
No. If you propose an unworkable and/or unconstitutional "solution" to a non-existent loophole that has no bearing on the problem, then you will be branded (correctly) a libtard. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:30 pm
No. If you propose an unworkable and/or unconstitutional "solution" to a non-existent loophole that has no bearing on the problem, then you will be branded (correctly) a libtard. :evil2:
^^^Amen!!

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Aggie_engr wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:51 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:30 pm
^^^Amen!!
:iagree:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”