Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
FrogFan
Posts in topic: 2

1911 with a 10 rd magazine?

Post by FrogFan »

Hi all,

One of the local ranges has a pistol match from time to time. That sounds like fun to me so I checked into it. It turns out that you must have a pistol with at least a 10-round magazine to participate. My pistol has a 7 (+1) round capacity, so it doesn't meet the requirements. I'm thinking about buying another pistol so I can try out this match thing.

I've always liked the look of the 1911 style pistol and, frankly, I've been looking for an excuse to buy one for some time. Problem is, it seems, is that few of them accommodate 10 round magazines. This one (Springfield 1911 EMP) does, for example, so I'm looking into it. There are probably others as well, so I have to do a bit more research. Before I do that, I thought I'd ask for opinions from folks here.

Any thoughts on this topic f(rom the collective?

Thanks!

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1911 with a 10 rd magazine?

Post by Tex1961 »

Fortunately there are several options out there for 1911 style 9mm handguns.... You've asked for opinions, so for what you are paying for, here's mine... If you are wanting to do any sort of competition shooting, a 4" barrel on a lightweight frame probably isn't going to be your best choice... I know some Kimbers have a 9 round mag capacity.. With one in he chamber your at 10... I'm sure there are more options out there with more capacity.

You are going to be more accurate with a 5" barrel and a little heavier weight will help with recoil and getting the next shot on target.....

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

You can buy 10 round 1911 magazines.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

FrogFan wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:44 pm
I've always liked the look of the 1911 style pistol and, frankly, I've been looking for an excuse to buy one for some time. Problem is, it seems, is that few of them accommodate 10 round magazines.

Thanks!
All of the full size grips take 10 rd magazines. I use Chip McCormick and shooting star mags. They will stick out about an inch or less.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

You didn't say exactly what kind of a pistol match this is, but if it is IDPA, then a 10 round magazine in a 1911 would not be allowed because the gun would exceed the maximum dimensions. But then again, if it is IDPA, you can use an 8 round mag in a 1911, just in a different division.

At any rate, yes you can buy 10 round 1911 mags, even for a .45 ACP gun. I have several of them sitting in my magazine drawer as I type this.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

LDP wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:32 pm Another way to look at it is that if they don't allow stock tools for competition, you might want to find different matches with less restrictive rules.
But if your heart is set on this one, I agree that a 10-rd magazine is not a problem to buy. (if you are willing to spend the money to support that organization)

Best advice, though: be safe and ENJOY the match!
The 10 round mags can also be useful as backup mags. That's why I bought them. So its not like you would be spending the money just for the match.

But :iagree: with the point of this post. This is also a big problem I have with IDPA rules. A huge chunk of my (completely stock) guns are not legal to use in any of their divisions. Personally, I'd like to see an open division where you can use any gun that someone might reasonably carry.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

There's a Para 14.45 for sale here on the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96353
Charlie

Topic author
FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. I've got some more thinking to do. As I do that, here are a couple more thoughts to follow up on some of the feedback you've given me.

I will look for a 5 inch barrel. My current EDC is a Sig P238 with a 3 inch barrel, and although it's a sweet shooting gun, easy to carry, and comfortable in my hand, it's hard for me to shoot very accurately with the short sight radius.

I didn't realize that you could use a 10 round magazine with any full-size 1911. Are such magazines all single stack? The single stack magazine appeals to me. I'm thinking that, apart from obvious differences due to caliber, weight, and possibly other factors, the ergonomics of a full-size 1911 would be similar to the P238.

I don't know what kind of match it is, only that it uses the "Lewis Class" scoring system. I wouldn't say I had my heart set on this match. I've never participated in a match before, it just looks interesting. A buddy participated on a lark a few months back and enjoyed it, and he asked me if I'd like to join him next time. My interest is really just casual at this point.

Regarding matches, I get the point on restrictive rules. I'm not serious enough about this, or wealthy enough, to have different guns for different matches.

The Para Ordnance 14-45 offered for sale here seems like a fine gun, but my first choice would be a 1911 with a single-stack magazine. Unless I've misread something, the 14-45 has a double-stack magazine -- great for capacity but maybe not as comfortable to shoot?

Again, thanks for the great feedback.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Any single stack .45 1911 should take the 10 round Chip McCormick magazines. As stated earlier if your main use is for competition I would opt for a 5” model over a commander or officer size. I have had several different 1911’s but my Sig Scorpion will stay in my possession until I die. It’s my favorite handgun to shoot, accurate, extremely reliable (not a malfunction that I can remember), and most importantly it’s COOL. If you are relatively new to shooting, or to pistols, I would however opt for something more user friendly than a 1911, as they can be great guns when maintained properly, they can also be quite a pain when incorrect tolerances (think cheaper guns) cross paths with poor maintenance.

Also: If you do go the route of 1911, one of the most important things to buy is quality magazines. These guns are only as reliable as the magazine. I like Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat.

hondo44
Banned

Post by hondo44 »

you have to be careful with them aftermarket mags. sometimes they get jammed and i get one stuck in the pipe once. just be careful is all im saying.
Chinese SKS, Yugo SKS, Romanian AK-74, Mossberg 500, Hi-Point 9mm carbine, Colt 2000 IWB

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Wilson Combat mags, that’s the only brand I use for action pistol matches when employing my 1911s.
You should be able to use 8 rd mags. in your matches, that’s what I use.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

flowrie wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:24 am Wilson Combat mags, that’s the only brand I use for action pistol matches when employing my 1911s.
You should be able to use 8 rd mags. in your matches, that’s what I use.
:thumbs2: BullsEye. :fire :fire :fire Years ago before arthritis I carried a 1911. Competed w/ my carry gun and gear. Wilson Combat makes high quality mags in 8rd. That is what I carried. My 2 reload mags were 10rd and WC has a "stop" stud to prevent mal function from over insertion. Chip Mc. does too.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Brownells has Wilson Combat mags on sale right now.
3 pack for $77.99
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”