Double-Action Only Semi-Automatic Pistol

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 1

Double-Action Only Semi-Automatic Pistol

Post by Crash »

Does anybody make a double-action only semi-automatic pistol? By that I mean a pistol that operates the same as a double-action revolver. The only thing the slide does is throw out the empty shell, it doesn't cock the hammer. I know there are a number of semi-autos that can be fired double-action for the first shot, but are there any that are double action for every shot, where the trigger both raises the hammer and drops it for every shot?

Thanks,

Crash

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Double-Action Only Semi-Automatic Pistol

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Striker fired pistols could be considered double action only. The trigger pull is the same on every shot. First through last. I can't think of a pistol that is hammer fired and is double action on every shot.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I could be wrong, but I recall that Sig made some hammer-fires models that were available as DAO. There might also have been a version of the HK USP that was available as DAO.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

On the low end side mostly concealed are the Kel-Tec, Ruger LCP, SCCY, Taurus Spectrum... All I believe are DA only... Of course no hammer, but still DAO... Except I think the LCP has an internal hammer...

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I did the google thing after posting my last comment and found an interesting link. So I suppose there are double action only semi auto pistols with the hammer inside.
https://gunbelts.com/blog/double-action ... led-carry/

Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

Sig makes DAO, and a DAK, which is also double action only. HK is well regarded for their LEM version of DAO.

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

SCCY CP2 is DAO internal hammer with no safety. It has double strike capabilities, hammer strikes on every trigger pull. I happen to like the SCCY pistols and have 2 of them, well made and good fit and finish.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

lh1

Post by lh1 »

The SIG P250 was hammer fired and DAO. It has a long trigger pull. The Walther P99 also had a DAO model but I think it's striker fired.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flintknapper »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:26 pm I can't think of a pistol that is hammer fired and is double action on every shot.
Here is one (no longer in production).

My Daughter's first 'carry' pistol (Para Carry 9).

Chosen for its plethora of safety devices (Thumb Safety, Grip Safety, Firing pin block, Long (but light) double action trigger, hammer fired).

Any of the old Para LDA's are set up this way.

She prefers a single action pistol however and now carries a variety of those.
Attachments
Carry9_1.jpg
Carry9_2.jpg
Last edited by flintknapper on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I have a Sphinx 380-AT which is DAO. It's a very nice gun. Very well built. It is a small gun, but holds 7 +1.
They stopped importing it so it was very expensive and hard to find in the US. Eventually I decided I wanted a larger caliber.

I have a Sig P239 with the DAK trigger which can operate single or double action.
It is a good trigger and very reliable. It was too heavy for me so I ended up switching to a Beretta PX-4.
NRA Endowment Member

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

If I recall correctly, when LE agencies were switching from revolvers to SA handguns, a lot of them wanted double action only so the triggers would feel like the old revolvers. Many DA/SA handguns, like the Beretta 92, were then produced in double action only.
Charlie

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

flintknapper wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:17 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:26 pm I can't think of a pistol that is hammer fired and is double action on every shot.
Here is one (no longer in production).

My Daughter's first 'carry' pistol (Para Carry 9).

Chosen for its plethora of safety devices (Thumb Safety, Grip Safety, Firing pin block, Long (but light) double action trigger, hammer fired).

Any of the old Para LDA's are set up this way.

She prefers a single action pistol however and now carries a variety of those.
Nice Pistol by the way.

Imo pistols dont need a saftey, just learn the weapon and keep you finger off the trigger.

Rifles are different story though they need safteys, running through brush ect. Could easily go off that way but Pistols are most of the time Secured in Holster, unless your a thug carrying Appendix style no holster? Then maybe the gun will go off and something might "fall" off?
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Look up Para LDA Carry. It looks like a 1911 but the action is different. It is double action only. I've shot one, and it had a long trigger pull that was surprisingly light for double action. The LDA stands for Light Double Action.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flintknapper »

narcissist wrote:
Imo pistols dont need a saftey, just learn the weapon and keep you finger off the trigger.
While we are in agreement....proper/safe gun handling practices 'should' be enough....we needn't look beyond the many reports of self inflicted injuries resulting from certain pistols. "Glock Leg" is a term born of just such incidents. Many of these happening to 'trained' or otherwise 'experienced' persons.

My Daughter grew up shooting my 1911's and a few revolvers...and has a penchant for the 1911 platform. So the LDA seemed like the natural choice for her first carry gun. As Women are often times disposed to 'carry' in a purse (rather than on their on their person), it is not a bad idea to have some manual safety features beyond just keeping your finger off the trigger....as anything that can enter the trigger guard might cause a discharge.

She grew up shooting my 1911's and a few revolvers and has a penchant for the 1911 platform. So the LDA seemed like the natural choice for her first carry gun.

Anyway....I chose that pistol for her primarily because of its LONG (but very light) trigger pull. As for the other safety features...I considered those the beauty of the pistol, since you have the 'option' of different ways to carry it. For instance...if I wanted the simplest/fastest mode of firing the pistol, it would be left with thumb safety down and a round chambered (always have a round chambered). The grip safety would be automatically depressed upon grasping the weapon (so no concern and no conscious thought required there), after that...only engaging the trigger would be needed to fire the pistol (same as a glock).

Conversely, IF the Safest mode of carry is desired, then the thumb safety would be on, grip safety is there and the long double action trigger requires a dedicated movement to fire the pistol. The presence of a hammer allows you to place your thumb upon it when re-holstering (or securing) preventing the pistol from firing should one forget to remove their trigger finger or another object get inside the trigger guard.

I really like the LDA's, they are easy to shoot..the trigger is amazing on them. But since Remington bought out Para, I don't expect to see anything like them again.

As for my Daughter...she grew up shooting pistols and is comfortable handling them in a safe manner. She has years of 'Muscle Memory' built in to help aid her, but who knows how one will react when put under great stress.

She carries Her Springfield R/O Elite in .45acp most of the time now.
Attachments
Mag Pouch1.JPG
Grips8.jpg
Grips7.jpg
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

S&W Bodyguard 380 is a double-action-only, hammer fired pistol. The slide only ejects the spent casing and chambers the next round; it does not cock a hammer or striker. Pulling the trigger cocks, then releases, the hammer.

Edited to add that this offers double strike capability.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”