Colt Classic
45%

Total votes: 20

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 1911 Bug bites again. Which one?

Post by K-Texas »

The Ruger SR1911 was mentioned. It's stainless, but it is available in black over stainless. The price goes up a bit, but it's not prohibitive.

Buying 1911s can be habit forming. Self customizing follows. There are some very good videos to teach about anything you'd like to customize. Brownells has every part under the sun. In my earlier post I said that the series 80 trigger is not a big deal because if you don't like it, it is pretty easy to delete the firing pin safety, and with parts from Brownells. Should you find yourself selling it later, just convert it back to Series 80 if necessary.

Remington has models in high polish blue, and they've owned Para Ordnance for a while now, there should be a configuration that suits you. Para Ordnance had models with full feedramps and complete support of the case-head. As far as semi-customs at a bit over $1000, the Dan Wesson's are exceptional, and Series 70. Some DW models are comparable to 1911 customs costing a good bit more.

But turning a 1911 into something personal is not that hard to do if you buy some good gunsmithing vids. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Surprised nobody has mentioned the higher end Springfields.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LDP wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:10 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:49 am Surprised nobody has mentioned the higher end Springfields.
My apologies. I meant to mention in my earlier post that the Springfield Loaded was my runner-up. While I do like the brand a lot (have 2 currently), this one just did not make it to the very top of the candidate list.

You got one? How do you like it?
I have a Springfield Loaded, but there are much better, more expensive models than that. I believe that MSRP for the TRP Operator with Black Armory Kotz and full length rail is $1,730.00. I know you can spend a lot more money than that for a 1911, but the Loaded model I have (parkerized, no rail) has an MSRP of $950.....just a bit more than half the price of that TRP Operator.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LTUME1978 »

I have three Springfields, 2 TRPs and one Trophy Match. They are all very nice pistols but needed trigger work from the factory. Took them to Ed Van Den Burg to have the triggers brought down to 4 pounds. He put Ed Brown hammers and sears in all three. The triggers are perfection now. They are all superbly accurate with Speer Gold Dot 200 grain hollow point + P (carry ammo) as well as my IDPA load (230 grain lead round nose Bayou Bullet over 3.9 brains of V V N-310). Also extremely reliable.

With that said, I have had a hankering for a Dan Wesson for a couple of years but have resisted that purchase to date. Ken Hackathorn has mentioned that, if you can't afford a Wilson Combat, you should go with a Dan Wesson. Bill Wilson did not seem to like that comment when they were making that particular video :-).

FWIW, one of the guys at the gun club has a Wilson Combat. It seemed like it had to go back to them several times a year for some type of work. Once Van Den Burg did the trigger jobs on the Springfields I have, they have not seen a gun smith since (several years ago and probably 30K + rounds through the Trophy Match, much fewer through the 2 TRPs as they are my carry guns).

equin

Post by equin »

I have the Colt Competition in stainless. Funny how you want a blued but can only find stainless, while I wanted stainless but could only find blued at the time.

Anyway, I really enjoy mine. It’s more accurate than I am, but I hope to improve with time. Mine has never had a jam or failure of any kind with the various different types of .45 ammo I’ve fed it, from ball to hollow points, to dirt cheap stuff. It only has about 600-700 rounds through it, though. The only issue I’ve ever had with it is that the fiber optic rod that came with it fell out after the first 50-100 rounds. I don’t think they burned one of the ends enough to keep it on. Mine came with spare rods, though, and after burning both ends it’s stayed on ever since.

This is my first and only 1911, so I have nothing to compare it to. I will say that it has by far the best trigger I’ve felt in any of my firearms. But I admit I have a relatively small collection.

Now that I have a stainless, I want to get a blued one. I may go with a more affordable brand, though, like a Springfield Defender Mil-Spec. Not because I don’t like my Colt - I love it - but only to try something different to compare.

Anyway, post pics and give us a range report once you get yours.
Ed

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 15

Post by C-dub »

I bought the Competition from Grab-A-Gun on Veterans Day last week and picked it up yesterday.

Many thanks to DocV for posting the Grab-A-Gun info because I thought I'd looked there and thought they didn't have one. I ended up getting it for almost $200 less than what I was anticipating based on the prices for the stainless versions.

I cleaned it thoroughly today and really really like it. I put on my Magpul all black grips with the USN and an anchor. Looks good. I still like the blue G10 grips, so I'll have to fire both while breaking it in to see if I like one set better than the other. I thought about changing the red fiber optic front sight to either the blue or green rods, but couldn't get it out. Then I read about how they should be melted a tad to stay in place and don't want to cut the red one out if I don't like the other colors and want to go back to the red. If it falls out great, but until then I'll try the red.

I won't be able to get to the range until Thursday or Friday at the earliest, so no range report yet. If I remember how to get a picture up with my photobucket I'll see about that after getting it to the range when I post the range report.

Now the search/decision continues for a holster. It fits into my shoulder rig the same as the Trophy. However, I'm thinking about something for the belt. Maybe a low ride one from Safariland. I'm also considering going with level 2 or 3 retention on my next one from them. Still thinking.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

DocV
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DocV »

Congratulations on your new pistol!

equin

Post by equin »

Congrats! My stainless Competition is my favorite pistol.
Ed

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

I keep coming back to this "I bought a _________ 1911......" blah blah bla

Pics or it didn't happen!!

:hurry:

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

Very nice! Great looking gun. I like the fish scales, but I love front strap checking! :cheers2:

Well done, now go get a case of black Friday ammo [on sale] and shoot the heck out of it! :fire

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”