40%
Colt Classic
45%

Total votes: 20

flowrie
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 1911 Bug bites again. Which one?

Post by flowrie »

Well, guess I’m going to need to quit this forum, it’s too expensive. After all this talk about 1911’s, I got the bug, again.
Went browsing for 1911s. Found a used Wilson Combat CQB, almost new.
Always wanted a WC, just were to expensive.
Found what I think was a very good deal at Cabelas of all places, called the wife, she said that I work hard and deserved it, so I bought it. Got home, stripped it, could not find much if any carbon / powder residue. Not sure if it has ever been shot except at the factory or very little at all by the original owner ( original bill of sale was in the soft case with all the papers, extras).
Now have a Springfield Mil-spec, a Ruger SR1911 Commander and now a Wilson CQB 5”.
The Wilson will be used at action matches. Will not be a safe queen.
Now have three 1911s.
Always kinda wanted an Officers 1911, Hmmm.

B63EC58D-464F-446F-B8CF-D6B6400E3390.jpeg
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ghostrider »

Now have three 1911s.
I believe around here we call that "a good start". :-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

ghostrider wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:59 pm
Now have three 1911s.
I believe around here we call that "a good start". :-)
Ha! Yes, I believe you are correct!
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 15

Post by C-dub »

I took it out to the range again today. I'm about 500 rounds in now and the 10-12 misfeeds have all been the same. The last round in the mag somehow gets too vertical and doesn't get into the chamber. Today it was once with one mag and twice with another. Those mags got separated out and I ran those several times with 2, 3, or 4 rounds. The only time either mage failed was when they were shot from being fully loaded, 8 rounds. Neither of them failed when loaded with 2, 3, or 4. Next time out I'll try just those two mags starting with 8 rounds and see how it goes.

I was also trying a more aggressive posture for better recoil control. I think it went well since follow up shots were easier, quicker, and more accurate today. Once I'm happy with that FMJ feeding issue has been fixed or fallen by the wayside I'll run some JHP carry ammo through to ensure it feeds well and then start carrying it instead of the GC Trophy when I carry a 1911.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cirus
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cirus »

I had some CM mags do that after being loaded for a year or so. Bought some Wolfe springs and that solved the problem.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Sounds like mag springs to me.
Would try replacing the springs.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

Rarely see them mentioned but an STI Trogan 1911 45, mine from a Ransom Rest shoots as well as my Wilson at 25 & 50 yds, just not as eye appealing only issue was a broken slide stop after 10+ yrs of heavy shooting and they sent me one in 2 days free. Shooting wise not much difference in the 2 both are as trouble free as one would wish.
Stay Safe

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

AndyC wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:18 pm
C-dub wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:51 pm I took it out to the range again today. I'm about 500 rounds in now and the 10-12 misfeeds have all been the same. The last round in the mag somehow gets too vertical and doesn't get into the chamber. Today it was once with one mag and twice with another.
Which magazines are they?
Both are Colt 8-round mags. This happened with a couple other mags in the first 100 rounds, but I didn't sequester them properly and the issue has diminished. It has not happened with the only Wilson Combat 8-round mag I have. I suppose it could be a spring or follower issue. We'll see how it goes next time out. I'll work more with the two mags that are properly sequestered now.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I little over a year later now.

Several months ago the magazine misfeed issue just went away and hasn't happened again since. So, I switched the Competition out with the Gold Cup in the shoulder rig for carrying on the bike. Although I have decided on a leather holster I still haven't gotten it yet since it and the mag carrier will be about $300.

However, yesterday I decided I didn't want to wait any longer and had to go out to Bass Pro checking for a Camelbak to put into my riding jacket anyway. This morning I went out and the Camelbak I wanted was not in stock, but when I wandered over to the holster area I did find a Safariland 7TS ALS for it. I also picked up a Blackhawk single stack double mag carrier. I got home and took the paddle off to attach the belt thing and put it all on and adjusted the tension on the mag carrier.

First off I'm taken a little aback by the slimness of both on my belt. Granted the my Glock 21SF is wider so the holster is too, but it also has a TLR-1 attached, which increases the width a little and the Colt does not have a light attached. The grip, while thinner, still sticks out about the same, but I'm not worried about that.

I still plan on getting the leather holster setup. I just don't know when. I should contact them and see how long it would take. Maybe after we get our tax refund this year.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”