Colt Classic
45%

Total votes: 20

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 15

1911 Bug bites again. Which one?

Post by C-dub »

There are three that interest me this time.
The CCU model is turning out to be the most difficult to find. I have found a place that has the Competition model and another that says the have the Classic model, but I haven't seen it in person yet. There's been much discussion on the 70 vs. 80 series trigger groups. I'm wondering if all the extra features of the CCU model make the series 80 trigger group not that big of a deal. Or is the simpler 70 series that much better? This will not be a serious competition gun and might only get used in local competition a few times. It'll be more of a heirloom/person acquisition. Since I already have my Trophy in stainless I want a black one, which is what I thought I would get first.

The CCU Government has a bunch of nice features, but a series 80 trigger group.
https://www.colt.com/detail-page/govern ... lk-5-81-ns

The Competition & Classic have the series 70 trigger group, but standard magwells.
https://www.colt.com/detail-page/1911-classic

I do kinda like the fiber optic front sight on the Competition model.
https://www.colt.com/detail-page/compet ... 5acp-bl-81
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Re: 1911 Bug bites again. Which one?

Post by Beiruty »

Does it have to be a Colt?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Beiruty wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:50 am Does it have to be a Colt?
Doesn’t have to be, but I do like them. I only have one so far and it is and has been a good one.

One place I went looking had a few RIA 1911’s and I might take a second look at those.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Rob72 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:58 am Gotta say, I REALLY don't like Colt, and haven't for many years. The late 70s into the early 90s were horrible for their production guns. It's not that they couldn't produce a decent 1911, they just chose not to. :banghead:

More recent offerings may be better, but IMHO, yuo'll pay more for the name than it's worth.
I get that, but I don’t have enough experience with enough manufacturers to have any that I don’t like. The only Colt 1911 I have has been totally reliable and a fantastic shooter.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Among other expensive 1911 pistols, I have

Para 1911 single stack , SS in 45 ACP
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1HGmSUMEXvUHFEaHA

RIA 1911 single stack, Creakote in 9mm
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EayHXJZBtmoWpWJj8

Both are excellent shooters. If you can tune a trigger or polish control surfaces they will only get better.
I recommend the Rem new 1911 (fab by Para) too.
Beiruty,

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Stating your max budget would help zeroing on your pistol. Also, Are you considering new only, or new/used would be ok?
Beiruty,

Zombified
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Zombified »

I voted for the CCU but would also recommend looking at Dan Wesson's. There are a few in the same price range as the CCU.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Beiruty wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:39 pm Stating your max budget would help zeroing on your pistol. Also, Are you considering new only, or new/used would be ok?
I don’t really have a max budget. I have enough squirreled away to get the Classic or Competition right now and would need a couple more months maybe for the CCU. If I find something I want I’ll either get it or save until I can get it.

Never gave much thought to new vs. used. Lean towards new without ruling out used.

DocV

Post by DocV »

The Competition and Classic are both series 70s. I think they are about the same price. The obvious differences are grip safety, trigger profile, hammer, sights, etc are what I would concentrate on. My problem is I like all 1911 configurations.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

DocV wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:45 pm The Competition and Classic are both series 70s. I think they are about the same price. The obvious differences are grip safety, trigger profile, hammer, sights, etc are what I would concentrate on. My problem is I like all 1911 configurations.
And my problem is I like Colts. My dad liked Rugers, but mostly revolvers. People have their preferences for whatever reasons and that’s cool!

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Zombified wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:16 pm I voted for the CCU but would also recommend looking at Dan Wesson's. There are a few in the same price range as the CCU.
I'd second this. To be fair I have limited experience with Colts having owned only a Colt Defender that was perfectly adequate, and a WW1 era gun that I've never actually shot.

But I absolutely love my Dan Wessons, and I don't see a huge difference between them and my Nighthawk Custom.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I suggest to find a Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series from early 1980s.
There is a like new one with a presentation box on GB for 1500 was not sold for a while. Maybe worth 1200 or so

Here is an excellent one
Check out what I found on GunBroker.com!
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/843489419
Beiruty,

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”