Revolver rust

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasVet
Posts in topic: 3

Revolver rust

Post by TexasVet »

I inherited a S&W 586 (no dash) that was unfortunately not well stored and has some rust spots on top, on side and in the cylinder. I tried to get it off with some Kroil soaks and brushing with nylon brushes. Looks a lot better, but still there. It did not have the “modification “ done, so it got sent back to S&W. While there I had contemplated on having them refinish the gun. Cost would be about $250. Does anyone know of someone in the DFW area (or even shipped) who can re-blue as well as S&w for less? Would you just blast it clean and cerakote it?
Suggestions welcome. I had read that using 0000 steel wool will get the rust off without marring the finish, but am nervous to try..

Scott65
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Revolver rust

Post by Scott65 »

Subscribed, as I have the same issue, and same contemplation with a pre 19... Hoping to learn something.

Topic author
TexasVet

Post by TexasVet »

Got the actual quote today from S&W - $220 for the polish and reblue. Will have to think about this.

Iunnrais
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Iunnrais »

Depending on the level of rust, I might be tempted to try the boiling water method the Mark Novak uses over on the 'Anvil' series on the C&Rsenal youtube channel before having S&W re-finish it. I'd definitely not try anything more aggressive myself. I'm paying for that lesson with my Grandad's shotgun still in the shop awaiting restoration from decades of farm use/abuse in the back of a pickup plus a teenage me trying to 'fix' the finish and not having a clue what I was doing.

Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

I could live with that price if it looked new, and correct for the period. Mine is from the 50's I'd want it to look like new back then... Let us know if you do it and how it turns out.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

TexasVet wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:15 pm Got the actual quote today from S&W - $220 for the polish and reblue. Will have to think about this.
Scott65 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:40 pm I could live with that price if it looked new, and correct for the period. Mine is from the 50's I'd want it to look like new back then... Let us know if you do it and how it turns out.
Polish and re-blue to a factory S&W finish seems fair to me.

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

The blueing that S&W currently does is not the same process the used in the early 1980s. I don’t know if that is of material to you or not.

Topic author
TexasVet

Post by TexasVet »

I decided to try the new blueing, they said it would be more black than blue. Ill post pre and post pictures when I have it back.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Probably too late now, but Robar's proprietary nickel is very highly regarded, and extremely corrosion resistant. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

K-Texas wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:48 pm Probably too late now, but Robar's proprietary nickel is very highly regarded, and extremely corrosion resistant. ;-)
Yep, it is too late. Robar closed a few months ago http://coatingtechnologiesllc.com/robar-closure/

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

AdioSS wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:36 pm
K-Texas wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:48 pm Probably too late now, but Robar's proprietary nickel is very highly regarded, and extremely corrosion resistant. ;-)
Yep, it is too late. Robar closed a few months ago http://coatingtechnologiesllc.com/robar-closure/
That's unfortunate, but evidently there's a plan to keep NP3 and NP3+ alive. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”