Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Jihadist leader killed by rarely used Ginsu Hellfire missle

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/us-forces-kill-j ... 22855.html

Its a hellfire missile with frikken swords. Killed inside his car. Geez.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Jihadist leader killed by rarely used Ginsu Hellfire missle

Post by ELB »

It actually says "frikken swords" in the article. :lol:
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ELB wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am It actually says "frikken swords" in the article. :lol:
Next we'll be hearing about shark missiles. Aircraft will fire a mako shark with a machinegun turret on its head at the target. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

ELB wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am It actually says "frikken swords" in the article. :lol:
See I thought it was friggen not frikken, so I edited my post.

The reference is I think from the movie Austin Powers

Here it’s with one k.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

But Wait!! For a limited time we'll double the offer, so you get two Ginsu Rockets for the single low price of one, just pay shipping and handling. :biggrinjester:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

puma guy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:36 pm But Wait!! For a limited time we'll double the offer, so you get two Ginsu Rockets for the single low price of one, just pay shipping and handling. :biggrinjester:
:lol::

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

We brought a knife to the gun fight :evil2:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Very interesting. I had no idea there was such a weapon. Definitely not cost effective.
NRA Endowment Member

flechero

Post by flechero »

WildBill wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:52 pm Very interesting. I had no idea there was such a weapon. Definitely not cost effective.
None of the good ones ever are... :tiphat:

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

WildBill wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:52 pm Very interesting. I had no idea there was such a weapon. Definitely not cost effective.
It mentions that it is used when they worry about collateral damage. So they can precision drop this on the car and only damage the car (looking at some pictures, non-targets might live depending on vehicle and where you were sitting). So if you are willing to spend the money doing this with normal missiles, not like this thing is any more expensive than those. Cost can run from $25,000 to $117,000 per depending on the specific type of hellfire from my little bit of reading (seems typical use is $75,000 to $100,000 per unit). Couldn't find anything on the R9X price, but can't imagine since it doesn't pack explosives that it would be anymore expensive than a normal one (or at least significantly so).

I have no idea of the cost of a mission to send a team in to kill/capture the guy. I also have no idea of the cost to run the drone to deliver the missile. So which one of those two paths is more economical I don't know, but explosive or ginsu doesn't seem like it would make much difference.

Interesting note that evidently development started in 2011, and as far as we know first deployed in 2017. So evidently taping some home shopping network knives to it, and stuffing it full of rocks instead of explosives is fairly complicated.
NRA Benefactor Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It’s more cost effective than a Hellfire missile if you’re concerned about collateral fatalities/injuries. If $$/KIA is the only metric, then a $1.50 .308 bullet is cheaper yet when it comes to assassinations of foreign military leaders—even though it might be impossible to pull off without sacrificing the man who pulls the trigger. On the other hand, the Ginsu missile is probably a great choice for assassinating jihadis at those famous weddings where dozens of non-combatants get massacred by a 1000 pounder.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:39 pm
It’s more cost effective than a Hellfire missile if you’re concerned about collateral fatalities/injuries. If $$/KIA is the only metric, then a $1.50 .308 bullet is cheaper yet when it comes to assassinations of foreign military leaders—even though it might be impossible to pull off without sacrificing the man who pulls the trigger. On the other hand, the Ginsu missile is probably a great choice for assassinating jihadis at those famous weddings where dozens of non-combatants get massacred by a 1000 pounder.
Birds of a feather, flock together. I feel like a bomb that kills everyone around the terrorist is beneficial. Kill them all and let god sort them out.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Jago668 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:28 pm
It mentions that it is used when they worry about collateral damage. So they can precision drop this on the car and only damage the car (looking at some pictures, non-targets might live depending on vehicle and where you were sitting). So if you are willing to spend the money doing this with normal missiles, not like this thing is any more expensive than those. Cost can run from $25,000 to $117,000 per depending on the specific type of hellfire from my little bit of reading (seems typical use is $75,000 to $100,000 per unit). Couldn't find anything on the R9X price, but can't imagine since it doesn't pack explosives that it would be anymore expensive than a normal one (or at least significantly so).

I have no idea of the cost of a mission to send a team in to kill/capture the guy. I also have no idea of the cost to run the drone to deliver the missile. So which one of those two paths is more economical I don't know, but explosive or ginsu doesn't seem like it would make much difference.

Interesting note that evidently development started in 2011, and as far as we know first deployed in 2017. So evidently taping some home shopping network knives to it, and stuffing it full of rocks instead of explosives is fairly complicated.
I was thinking more about the development cost and how you would justify funding to make a weapon that will be used only a handful of times.

Edit: I think I answered my own question - it came out of the CIA budget.
https://www.justsecurity.org/64112/flyi ... ntroversy/
NRA Endowment Member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:20 am Birds of a feather, flock together. I feel like a bomb that kills everyone around the terrorist is beneficial. Kill them all and let god sort them out.
Let me know how you feel about that after being sent in to do a post strike assessment..
Let me know how you feel about "Kill them all and let god sort them out." when your stepping over children's body parts, or offering a bit of candy to a whaling child standing over they dead father, sister, mom..because a bit of candy is all you can do.

When you have done that, your thoughts on "Kill them all and let god sort them out." will be valid and valued.
If you have never been on the ground to do what I mention above, I cant fault you for you having no understanding of what you said. I can only tell you from my perspective, its not ok.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”