suppressor

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MJR
Posts in topic: 1

suppressor

Post by MJR »

What is needed to get a suppressor in Texas. Ordered the new Glock 44 (.22lr) and a threaded barrel from Glock.
Some type of licensing?

Jago668

Re: suppressor

Post by Jago668 »

Just the normal ATF stuff, nothing needed on the state level.
NRA Benefactor Member

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Suppressor purchase, ATF forms, legal trust, finger prints, pictures, $200.00 and a LOT of patience...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

QB

Post by QB »

My first 2 suppressors were approved in 4 months (form 4/trust) and my latest suppressor has been in ATF limbo for going on 13 months...sigh. I want a couple more but just can't stomach the wait any more.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I imagine the take so long to discourage people from buying them. What parts do you recommend to make your own solvent trap?
AndyC wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:58 pm Form 4 + $200 + commercial suppressor + probably a year wait.

Form 1 + $200 + homemade suppressor + around 3 week wait.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

AndyC wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:59 am I bought the .22 can as a kit from https://quietbore.com/product-category/solvent-traps/

The 30-cal I have, I built using parts from various suppliers (who may or may not still exist, but it should give you an idea what I used) - details in post #13 here: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=80252
What I don't know about suppressor construction would fill volumes. What is needed in addition to the kits in your link?

Chas.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

At the risk of going a bit off topic, are you concerned that the suppressor might negatively effect (affect?) the reliability of your G44? I'm really interested in getting that gun, but I'm a bit gun shy after experiencing reliability issues with other .22lr semi-autos.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:23 pm
AndyC wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:59 am I bought the .22 can as a kit from https://quietbore.com/product-category/solvent-traps/

The 30-cal I have, I built using parts from various suppliers (who may or may not still exist, but it should give you an idea what I used) - details in post #13 here: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=80252
What I don't know about suppressor construction would fill volumes. What is needed in addition to the kits in your link?

Chas.
Calling The Annoyed Man https://texaschlforum.com/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=2929
TAM to the stage please

Also https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... suppressor is a good read for those building their own.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

For an existing suppressor you will need an NFA tax stamp to take possession. You can apply as an individual, a trust*, or corporation.
Most eligible gun shops will do the paperwork for you.

There's no registration w/ the state of Texas. The chief law enforcement officer of the county (or state) where you live will be notified as a courtesy, but there's nothing else required.

At this time, you might have wait anywhere from 4 to 10 months before your tax stamp is issued.

*Trusts are not required for NFA items and from my POV should only be used if you have an absolute need for it. i.e., you have multiple people who will be using the same pool of NFA toys [I don't trust anybody that much] or need to pass on your toys to somebody who is not a direct blood relative.

NFA items on an individual tax stamp can be passed, by your estate, to designated direct blood relatives via a tax-free Form 5 application.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Scott B. wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:14 pm For an existing suppressor you will need an NFA tax stamp to take possession. You can apply as an individual, a trust*, or corporation.
Most eligible gun shops will do the paperwork for you.

There's no registration w/ the state of Texas. The chief law enforcement officer of the county (or state) where you live will be notified as a courtesy, but there's nothing else required.

At this time, you might have wait anywhere from 4 to 10 months before your tax stamp is issued.

*Trusts are not required for NFA items and from my POV should only be used if you have an absolute need for it. i.e., you have multiple people who will be using the same pool of NFA toys [I don't trust anybody that much] or need to pass on your toys to somebody who is not a direct blood relative.

NFA items on an individual tax stamp can be passed, by your estate, to designated direct blood relatives via a tax-free Form 5 application.
Its always interesting to read others opinions..and I mean that politely.

My position is polar opposite
I believe for most, a Trust is a better choice..I know it is for me personally.
Id say for those doing this for the first time, ...Trust but verify. Research what the advantages and disadvantages for both individual and trust ownership gives you and decide from there.

I dont doubt Scott has done just that and is secure in his position as best for him....The same for me....I suppose it largely depends on how the NFA item will be used and what you want done with it when you leave this earth.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

AndyC wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:35 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:23 pm

Chas.
Apart from the Form 1 paperwork mentioned by others, a relevant muzzle-device.

For example, I took the .22 suppressor (which is threaded for the .22 standard of 1/2"×28 threads) to a friend's house and he has a Walther .22 PPQ pistol which comes with a threaded barrel covered by a sleeve - however, those threads on the barrel won't fit and he would have needed to purchase the specific thread-adapter for his pistol.

Another example - I wanted my rifle suppressor to work on a variety of rifles, so I had to carefully choose which muzzle-device I should standardize on so the can would work on all of them. For me that turned out to be the Griffin Armament taper-mount, but YMMV.

I did the trust-thing back in the day specifically so I didn't need local CLEO sign-off, but as that's no longer a thing it comes down to whether one would want the benefits associated with a trust.
Thanks Andy.

Chas.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”