Running weapon serial # during a traffic stop?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Running weapon serial # during a traffic stop?

Post by Lynyrd »

Check the serial number against what? As far is I have been told there is not a gun registration database, either state or federal. They could check the serial numbers against reported stolen guns, but what else?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Lynyrd wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:10 pm Check the serial number against what? As far is I have been told there is not a gun registration database, either state or federal. They could check the serial numbers against reported stolen guns, but what else?
Locally when I hear guns run the response is usually "No 43 on that firearm." Meaning no info. A time or two I have heard "That serial number comes back 99 out of...." meaning a firearm of that manufacturer with that serial number was reported stolen, they then confirm the model and I have never heard it come back a match.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

LDP wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:37 pm
1) has anyone encountered this in any other jurisdictions in TX
2) is this lawful?
3) if not, do we have any right to refuse?
4) am I being paranoid or does this seem like a great way to slowly build up a database of firearms in the state?
1) Nope, I've been asked to disarm, but never had them run the serial numbers that I know of.
2) They can legally ask you to disarm if they feel there is a threat.
3) If they have made a legal stop, I can't think of a law that prohibits them from asking you to disarm. and running the numbers.
4) They could try to start a database, but it would be very incomplete and useless.

I've had several encounters with Galveston PD over the years. They have never disarmed me. I don't think it is a policy for every Stop of an LTC holder. Maybe a brand new one? I had a conversation with a patrolman a couple weeks ago and he told me that there have been a lot of break ins into cars with guns lately. so it could be a new policy.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I know they are just TV shows but I have seen this on several of them. Live PD, Alaska State Troopers and even Lone Star Law (the game warden show), just to name a few. I will say I don't recall any of the shows I saw this on being for Licensed Concealed Carry people.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:27 pm I know they are just TV shows but I have seen this on several of them. Live PD, Alaska State Troopers and even Lone Star Law (the game warden show), just to name a few. I will say I don't recall any of the shows I saw this on being for Licensed Concealed Carry people.
I saw one on LPD. Williamson County deputy ran LTC holder's weapon.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

03Lightningrocks

anygunanywhere wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:33 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:27 pm I know they are just TV shows but I have seen this on several of them. Live PD, Alaska State Troopers and even Lone Star Law (the game warden show), just to name a few. I will say I don't recall any of the shows I saw this on being for Licensed Concealed Carry people.
I saw one on LPD. Williamson County deputy ran LTC holder's weapon.
Well there you go. Even on an LTC. I thought there was a thread on here a few months ago discussing this issue.

03Lightningrocks

LDP wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:00 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:42 pm Well there you go. Even on an LTC. I thought there was a thread on here a few months ago discussing this issue.
Would you happen to have a link? I did not find anything. I don't think I searched well.
Thank you in advance.
I also tried to search it and found nothing. It may have come up as an off topic conversation in a thread somewhere. The thing that made me think of it was the mention of the live pd show. Maybe I dreamed it...

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Evidently they are checking it to see if it is stolen. To me it comes close to a 4th amendment violation. Possessing firearm is not probable cause to see if it stolen. Anymore than checking your car stereo, a television in your trunk, or a 4 wheeler in the back of your truck. IANAL YMMV
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

IANL, but it seems like 'unreasonable search and seizure' if there is no RAS up front that a crime (related to the firearm) has been committed.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

03Lightningrocks

I am in agreement that it seems wrong. Like a fishing expedition for a crime. After seeing them do it on so many cop shows, I think there must be something that makes it legal. I have never had it happen to me but if some cop wanted to check the serial number, I would not likely protest. It would irritate me but not to the point of wanting a verbal altercation with a cop on the side of the road.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”