Winchester Gun Safe not working

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Winchester Gun Safe not working

Post by strogg »

I'm glad you were able to get the safe open. I've heard many horror stories about keypads on Winchester safes going bad. Normally, I'd say battery too, since I go through that every so often with my safe, but with a Winchester, my first thought is always keypad.

Topic author
pcernuch
Posts in topic: 5

Post by pcernuch »

thatguyoverthere wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:37 pm Glad you got it fixed. That certainly ad to be a great relief! And good information for us to keep in the back of our minds. :clapping:

But, at the same time, you're telling me that all I have to do to open someone else's electronic combo gun safe is just take my own keypad with my own combination with me, unplug yours and plug in mine? :banghead:
hi there, i should have been more clear. as the other gent stated, it was just the keypad that was bad. MY code was stored interally in the safe in the actual lock. so since the sending device(keypad) was bad i just needed a new one. i wired the new up and i entered my same old code and was back inside!!

god bless.

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

I didn't see any mention of this posted here so I thought I would do so. When it comes time to replace your battery or batteries, open the door first and leave it open while changing them. Then, use your code to make certain all is well. I know of two cases where for whatever reason, the doors were closed and would not open after the batteries were changed. In both instances the safes had to be drilled. I do that with all my safes just to err on the side of caution.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

krieghoff wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:38 pm I didn't see any mention of this posted here so I thought I would do so. When it comes time to replace your battery or batteries, open the door first and leave it open while changing them. Then, use your code to make certain all is well. I know of two cases where for whatever reason, the doors were closed and would not open after the batteries were changed. In both instances the safes had to be drilled. I do that with all my safes just to err on the side of caution.

I’ve never been trusting enough to have an electronic lock as my only means of entry. Currently have a combo dial and electronic which can be opened via either.

AMSEC now makes safes with both locks on the door, wish that had been an option earlier.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

SigM4 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:48 pm
krieghoff wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:38 pm I didn't see any mention of this posted here so I thought I would do so. When it comes time to replace your battery or batteries, open the door first and leave it open while changing them. Then, use your code to make certain all is well. I know of two cases where for whatever reason, the doors were closed and would not open after the batteries were changed. In both instances the safes had to be drilled. I do that with all my safes just to err on the side of caution.

I’ve never been trusting enough to have an electronic lock as my only means of entry. Currently have a combo dial and electronic which can be opened via either.

AMSEC now makes safes with both locks on the door, wish that had been an option earlier.
Mine has the dial. I did not trust the electronic option back when I purchased mine. I have seen it posted on the forum that the dial can also malfunction but I still have more faith in it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”