Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 2

Custom 1911

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Howdy folks,
A friend of mine messaged me today. She’s looking to surprise her husband with a custom 1911 with copper inlay for their 7th anniversary. Apparently anniversaries have themes or something. Anyway, she doesn’t know a lot about guns so she asked me to ask around. I don’t really have any experience with custom guns, so I’m turning you you fine people. She lives in the DFW area. If anyone has any recommendation on who can do that kind of work, I’d appreciate it.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

DocV
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Custom 1911

Post by DocV »

How far away is their anniversary? My custom 1911 gunsmith has a one year backlog. My custom Colts took over three years to complete.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Considering time and cost of custom 1911's maybe she could buy a "semi custom" (wilson, guncrafter, baer, etc.) and have an engraver do a custom inlay job.

https://www.southerncustomengraving.com/index.html

Not endorsing this one but it was the first I looked at that had inlay work pictured and does custom work. (they also do precious metal inlay work.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

She might be better off buying a nice production model, and having a silversmith/engraver customize it the way she likes. They would be able to inlay copper and engrave anything she might want while saving lots of time.

ETA: looks like Flechero beat me to it

Lena

Post by Lena »

I was given my duty revolver when I left a 2-1/2" S&W 66 they had my initials and dates engraved in it by a place in Dallas called "Things Engraved" said done in 1 visit & pick up the next day, I still have it.
Stay Safe

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I would get a Wilson Combat or Les Baer and have custom engraving done. Not cheap though.
I use Ken at Ken's Engraving
www.dallasengraver.com
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

How about a stock gun with copper inlay grip panels?

https://www.ravenwoodgrips.com/listing/ ... aid-flower
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Thanks ya'll. After talking to her further, it seems she may have underestimated the cost of such a pistol. I'll let her know about the custom grips though. That may be doable. Ya'll are the best!!! :tiphat:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ajwakeboarder wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:28 pm Howdy folks,
A friend of mine messaged me today. She’s looking to surprise her husband with a custom 1911 with copper inlay for their 7th anniversary. Apparently anniversaries have themes or something. Anyway, she doesn’t know a lot about guns so she asked me to ask around. I don’t really have any experience with custom guns, so I’m turning you you fine people. She lives in the DFW area. If anyone has any recommendation on who can do that kind of work, I’d appreciate it.
Not really themes, but there are traditional gifts according to the year.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I can recommend only one company for engraving, because I have known the man who owns since he was in high school, That would be Tyler Gun Works in Friona Texas. Last I knew he had a contest going for 10 engravers, his company is also responsible for the first engraved new production Colt Python currently up for Auction on Gun Broker (proceeds to support the NRA Whittington Center. He is also associated with Republic Forge who does build custom 1911s over in New Mexico (They used to be a Texas Company). The only problem is I don't have a clue what kind of wait time he has, or Republic Forge for that matter.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

I would caution against copper inlay on a steel gun. Copper + steel + electrolyte (sweat) = galvanic corrosion.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”