Best or Most Popular SD Ammo

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Best or Most Popular SD Ammo

Post by G26ster »

I've been running Powerball in my .380's which I no longer own, but for the life of me can't remember what SD ammo I used in my 9mm's. I now own a 9mm after a few years of not having one, and want to go with an SD round that is a) highly rated, and b) easily found locally. So what, say, are the 3 most popular or highly rated SD rounds that I can test in my 9mm? Thanks.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Best or Most Popular SD Ammo

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I’d say start with either Federal HST or Hornady Critical Defense/Critical Duty. There are a number of good 9mm loads, but those two seem to be common and easier to find. Of the two, the Hornady has seemed to me to be a little more affordable. I run either the 124 grain Critical defense, or the 135 grain +P Critical Duty (depending on the pistol). But I’d be just as confident with the Federal HST.

The exception: I keep 115 grain +P Corbon DPX in my G43.....mostly because it develops considerable power in a short barrel, AND because I still had a couple of boxes of it laying around.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lena

Post by Lena »

About all I have ever used and still do so is Ranger T or Gold Dot with some Cor-Bon when I had access to it, oddly the police supply stores price the 50 count boxes of RT & GD just a few dollars over the regular stores 20 count boxes speaking here of 357 SIG CAL.
Stay Safe

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Performance, price, availability.

Right now, for me, its Federal Premium HST 9mm 124 grain. GT Distributors $19.99 plus tax for a 50 round box. $0.433 a round with tax.

Before Walmart stopped selling handgun ammo, I carried Winchester White Box or Remington Green and White box 115 JHP.

Lucky Gunner Labs has done extensive testing on defensive ammo and the results are easy to find and read. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/

Paul Harrell has done many demonstrations of JHP v The Meat Target. Not scientific, but, I feel, very informative. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6QH13 ... 9uQ/videos

I carry defensive ammo that meets FBI penetration protocols and expands well/reliably, is in my budget, and is locally available.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

strogg

Post by strogg »

For me, it's Gold Dot or Federal HST. Gold Dot has been a good all around performer. Very consistent among calibers. HST is perfect for my 9mm Sub 2000.

The luckygunner link is fantastic, and that is how I have decided on the HSTs for the Sub 2000. Another great resource is tnoutdoors9.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

strogg wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:18 am For me, it's Gold Dot or Federal HST. Gold Dot has been a good all around performer. Very consistent among calibers. HST is perfect for my 9mm Sub 2000.

The luckygunner link is fantastic, and that is how I have decided on the HSTs for the Sub 2000. Another great resource is tnoutdoors9.
Just one thing to add if it's not a sub-compact 9. Get the 124 gr. +P versions of the Gold Dot and HST. They simply work, and in testing both bullets in handloads are very capable in even higher velocity loads. If it is a sub-compact, look for a short barrel version.;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I use 124gr +P Gold Dots. Federal HST, and Speer Gold Dots get recommended most in my experience on gun forums/pages.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

Thanks folks. I believe I ran the Speer Gold Dots in my 9's before, and the Federal HST. I'm now carrying a Sig 365. I shot my friends at the range the other day and fell for it big time. Also I have to say for the price ($499) w/night sights it's hard to beat. Fit's my hand like a glove with the pinky extension, or 12 rd magazine. I'll try both the Speer and the Federal for now, but the key will always be will it go bang with SD ammo every time like my Glocks did.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the above choices.... They are all probably pretty close to the same performance... What's important is how well they work in your gun.... I've had 100% success in at least 5 different 9mm's using Hornady Critical Defense...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”