Run on Ammo

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Run on Ammo

Post by SigM4 »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:26 pm Anyone checked reloading supplies?
Been hit pretty hard as well. I went on to Rocky Mountain Reloading on Saturday morning (along with various other sites) because I realized I was down to about 2k of my preferred 9mm bullets. All gone. I haven't even run 5.56 on my 650 yet but I may have to go get set up as I have way more rifle brass/bullets/powder/primers than I realized; this may give me an excuse. All that said I'm still set for a long time with the amount of production ammo I have on hand.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

I do 85% of my reloading in December. I am off work for a number of weeks. I clean and prep the rest of the year. I never feel that I have enough, but I don't have to run out and buy anything. Well, I may get a few more 8# jugs of powder, primers and bullets. I work from home, so why not help the economy.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AF-Odin »

Well, there went my plan. Have plenty of ammo in stock, plenty of reloading components, etc (do you really ever have enough--unless you are on fire). Was going to use this self-imposed house stay to load up the ton of 9mm, .38, and .223 brass I have been stockpiling and finished tumbling, but my ever reliable Dillon 550 decided to be obstinate. Just got off the chat with Dillon and they are sending me a new primer bar. Must be something about the 10s of thousands of rounds I have loaded on it in the last 15 years. Good news is that true to their warranty, the new primer bar is already in the mail to me for free. Hopefully I will be back in business reloading by this weekend.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

My salesman from my main firearms wholesaled/distributor in Louisiana sent me an email yesterday about sales for the last 10 days. He’s been doing sales for 37 years and has never seen the volume they’ve seen the last 10 days. He said on 3/16 alone they almost doubled their highest day ever.

I guess this virus has people scared.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

People have lost their minds. We're out of everything but some 12 ga 00. We'll get some ammo in this next week as long as FedEx and UPS keep operating. Phone rings about every 3 mins and I could play the same sound clip, over and over again.

Lot of first time gun buyers in the past few days. All those folks who thought that Beto fraud looked pretty cute realized little soy boys and their disarmament policies might get them killed. Tear away the fantasy world they surround themselves with and suddenly nobody wants to be a victim.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rafe »

Scott B. wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:25 pm Lot of first time gun buyers in the past few days. All those folks who thought that Beto fraud looked pretty cute realized little soy boys and their disarmament policies might get them killed. Tear away the fantasy world they surround themselves with and suddenly nobody wants to be a victim.
Just saw a TV news report on KTRK that said NICS numbers for Monday were up over 300% from the same day last year, and that we hit a record for February. COVID-19 may, just may, replace Barrack Obama as the greatest gun salesperson...at least for maybe a 60 day period.

And I stand up and applaud the thousands of first-time gun owners going for it, regardless of the reason. But I do hope that they decide to get at least a little basic instruction. I like the idea of all of my neighbors being armed. But I'd kinda prefer they not start sending NDs through my windows.

Regardless, seems like this buying spree will be--as soon as the coronavirus panic resides--a great opportunity for all the instructors here on the forum!
:tiphat:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Rafe wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:48 pm
Scott B. wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:25 pm Lot of first time gun buyers in the past few days. All those folks who thought that Beto fraud looked pretty cute realized little soy boys and their disarmament policies might get them killed. Tear away the fantasy world they surround themselves with and suddenly nobody wants to be a victim.
Just saw a TV news report on KTRK that said NICS numbers for Monday were up over 300% from the same day last year, and that we hit a record for February. COVID-19 may, just may, replace Barrack Obama as the greatest gun salesperson...at least for maybe a 60 day period.

And I stand up and applaud the thousands of first-time gun owners going for it, regardless of the reason. But I do hope that they decide to get at least a little basic instruction. I like the idea of all of my neighbors being armed. But I'd kinda prefer they not start sending NDs through my windows.

Regardless, seems like this buying spree will be--as soon as the coronavirus panic resides--a great opportunity for all the instructors here on the forum!
:tiphat:
I've seen 15 to 20 min waits on the online NICS check at times over the past 4 or 5 biz days. They are overwhelmed. NICS is kicking out a 4-15-2020 'Brady Date' on any delays which is...interesting. Supposed to be 3 NICS biz days.

I do feel for the people asking for Gun101 classes but I've suspended them for now. At least they're asking.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Picked up a 300-rd. box of 9mm at Apache Rifleworks, down the street from me. I have quite a bit of 5.56 - at least a dozen 30-rd. PMags full. So I guess I'm OK for now. Need to get some extra batteries for the red dot and the Streamlight. We raided HEB JUST before the panic hit, so we're pretty well stocked up on everything. Going to just lay low for a while. Thank GOODNESS we don't have a house full of bored teenagers.
-Ruark

Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

I went to pick up a transfer today from a local range, that hasn't had their actual range functioning due to renovations/repairs for a couple of years. They remain open as an ffl, and do some sales, but not much traffic because everyone knows the range is down. While I was there today four different people came in looking for ammo, 2 of the 4 asked about guns. Mind you they're not on a main drag, nor do they have a big sign. People are out in search of this stuff. So far lawfully so...

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

If you don't have an LTC, I wouldn't even attempt to buy a gun today. NICS volume is supposedly 300% above normal and it seems like most folks are being delayed. They're giving Brady Dates of Mid-April. Supposedly, because of state offices being closed.

The only thing keeping me entertained are the calls asking 50 BMG, 357 Roberts, 338 Lapua, 6.8 SPC and so on. So, it's the apocalypse and you're trying to stock up now on your 'not gonna find it at wal-mart' ammo calibers? "rlol"

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rafe »

Scott B. wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:41 pm If you don't have an LTC, I wouldn't even attempt to buy a gun today. NICS volume is supposedly 300% above normal and it seems like most folks are being delayed. They're giving Brady Dates of Mid-April. Supposedly, because of state offices being closed.
John Farnam sent this out a couple of hours ago:
John Farnam wrote: Yesterday, I spoke with a NYS gun retailer.

He indicted that NY’s Pistol Permit Offices are now closed indefinitely, having apparently not been considered an “essential” state function.

This is bad news for any current NYS Pistol Permit holder. It means he will not be able to buy a pistol in the foreseeable future, even though he is licensed to possess one, because in NYS, each purchase must be approved in advance.

There is currently no one to render such approval, nor will there be any time soon.
:txflag:
Scott B. wrote: The only thing keeping me entertained are the calls asking 50 BMG, 357 Roberts, 338 Lapua, 6.8 SPC and so on. So, it's the apocalypse and you're trying to stock up now on your 'not gonna find it at wal-mart' ammo calibers? "rlol"
Not having a spiffy Barrett 82A1 myself, I had to go see what .50 BMG was going for. LuckyGunner has 750gr A-MAX for $6.40 per round, no indication if it's actually available; and our buddies at Cheaper Than Dirt want $11.42 for the same round.

Just to keep Scott entertained, I think I'll call up and say I have cash in hand if he can find me 10,000 rounds. :biggrinjester:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

s3779m

Post by s3779m »

MadMonkey wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:14 pm Apparently I'm pretty good at this ammo thing... I stocked up on several thousand rounds of .22LR 2 weeks before Sandy Hook, stocked up on ammo necessities in December, then ordered a case of defensive ammo just a few days ago before the panic started "rlol"

If only my stock market investing was as smart as my ammo investing :totap: :grumble
:iagree: :iagree:

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I loaded up with ammo and mags during Obummer's reign. California would call me a right wing dangerous nut, the bunch here would ask "why don't you have more?"
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

NICS completely collapsed around 4 PM Central and has not come back.

People want to buy firearms to protect their families. They want to do it lawfully, but cannot because of the government is unable to function in the face of overwhelming demand.

Shall not be infringed, except during the apocalpse.

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

I was in Walmart today in Lewisville.

Obviously, no pistol calibre ammo there, but they do have .308 WIN .... quite a bit actually.
I didn't buy any of that.

I bought 2500 rounds of .22LR. $16.67/500 rnds. Same old price.
No need for other calibre's at this time.

Just FYI.
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”