Why not a card/tie-in to buy gun in Texas?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MJR
Posts in topic: 1

Why not a card/tie-in to buy gun in Texas?

Post by MJR »

Why the problems with NICS to buy a gun in Texas as we are having now. After this we should have a tie-in to our CHL or separate card that could be shown and avoid the NICS problems. Yes this kind of thing (emergency) will happen again. You have this “card”and buy & go. No waiting 3.5 weeks to buy a gun. Your pre-approved.
Your on a State list that says your checked out. Many of us have lots of forms in the system from previous gun buys.

MadMonkey

Re: Why not a card/tie-in to buy gun in Texas?

Post by MadMonkey »

Uh... unless I'm misunderstanding the question, that's how our LTCs work already :headscratch
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

The Texas LTC already provides for this, but some retailers store policies require the NICS check in spite of not needing it. Blame the retailer
N5PNZ

strogg

Post by strogg »

That is one of the reasons I recommend all people who don't need an LTC to carry to get one anyway. I heard about this one FBI agent who would always have to wait for the Brady date to pick up his purchase due to his background check. It wouldn't be a problem if he had an LTC.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

2farnorth wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:49 am The Texas LTC already provides for this, but some retailers store policies require the NICS check in spite of not needing it. Blame the retailer
This is the reason I choose to not deal with some retailers.
NRA lifetime member

TexasSully

Post by TexasSully »

A couple of Decembers ago Cabelas had a sale on a Kimber I wanted. To get the sale price, I had to order online for store pickup. When I went in to pick it up, the system was down--I am not sure if their system or NCIS but they were telling customers that it would be a couple of hours to run background checks. The manager on duty saw my LTC and told me if I wanted to complete a paper 4473 form, I could be out the door in a few minutes. Of course I took him up on it and was in and out relatively quickly.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

I would not buy a gun from any store that doesn't respect your LTC

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

TexasSully wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:02 pm A couple of Decembers ago Cabelas had a sale on a Kimber I wanted. To get the sale price, I had to order online for store pickup. When I went in to pick it up, the system was down--I am not sure if their system or NCIS but they were telling customers that it would be a couple of hours to run background checks. The manager on duty saw my LTC and told me if I wanted to complete a paper 4473 form, I could be out the door in a few minutes. Of course I took him up on it and was in and out relatively quickly.
My experience with Cabela's as well.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”