Do Springs Take a Set if the Striker is pre-cocked/the hammer cocked?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 4

Do Springs Take a Set if the Striker is pre-cocked/the hammer cocked?

Post by Crash »

Will the striker spring on my S&W Shield or the hammer spring on my S&W EZ 9mm "take a set" if they are left pre-cocked/cocked for a long period of time (say 3 months). If this is the case, the I might want to leave the chamber empty and the striker/hammer uncocked.

What say ye?

Crash

bobby
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do Springs Take a Set if the Striker is pre-cocked/the hammer cocked?

Post by bobby »

Springs if made correctly IE Smith and Wesson does I do believe. Then it cycles that weaken the springs not compression. Also if the spring is over stressed ie pulled too far. then it will change tension. Poor heat treating in the past is where this comes from.
:txflag:

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

bobby wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:27 pm Springs if made correctly IE Smith and Wesson does I do believe. Then it cycles that weaken the springs not compression. Also if the spring is over stressed ie pulled too far. then it will change tension. Poor heat treating in the past is where this comes from.

bobby,

Thanks, appreciate the info--relieves my mind.

Crash

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

My Paraordnance P14 is kept cocked and locked, I have had it since 1994, it still has the factory springs in it and it still goes BANG every time it's suppose too
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

My 5 S&W magazines for my M&P9 M2.0 5inch stay loaded. The magazines cycle during practice and training. So, for the last 3 years, these magazines have been loaded and cycled.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

crazy2medic wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:34 pm My Paraordnance P14 is kept cocked and locked, I have had it since 1994, it still has the factory springs in it and it still goes BANG every time it's suppose too
/quote]

crazy2medic,

Thanks for the info--doesn't sound like I have anything to worry about.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

oljames3 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:12 pm My 5 S&W magazines for my M&P9 M2.0 5inch stay loaded. The magazines cycle during practice and training. So, for the last 3 years, these magazines have been loaded and cycled.
oljames3,

Thanks, appreciate your input. From your and other folks' input, doesn't appear that I need to be concerned.

Crash

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

There are alloys that "creep" when under constant elastic region stress. That means the molecules move around under stress, and would eventually lose springiness or break. I do not believe any steels do this.

Most any piece of metal has residual stresses. Some areas may be stress free, while others areas may be close to the elastic limit. While you think you're in the elastic region, some areas may be undergoing plastic deformation. This problem is not based on time with steels. Copper wire, if used to hang a mirror, will eventually break.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

All materials experience stress relaxation. This is the decay of stress with time. When there stress developed in the material due to deflection decays, the strain becomes permanent. When strain is permanent, then force of spring is deceased. We know this for example, is an issue in metal spring energized seals (what is that you ask?). These are used in downhole tools and have a service life of 10-20yrs. The rate of stress decay will depend on time and imposed load. So if designed properly, the spring can last the expected lifetime of the product.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

Texas_Blaze wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:01 pm All materials experience stress relaxation. This is the decay of stress with time. When there stress developed in the material due to deflection decays, the strain becomes permanent. When strain is permanent, then force of spring is deceased. We know this for example, is an issue in metal spring energized seals (what is that you ask?). These are used in downhole tools and have a service life of 10-20yrs. The rate of stress decay will depend on time and imposed load. So if designed properly, the spring can last the expected lifetime of the product.
https://www.nationalboard.org/Index.aspx?pageID=181

Look at Table 1 at the bottom. Below these temperature these materials do not creep.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

bbhack wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:33 pm
Texas_Blaze wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:01 pm All materials experience stress relaxation. This is the decay of stress with time. When there stress developed in the material due to deflection decays, the strain becomes permanent. When strain is permanent, then force of spring is deceased. We know this for example, is an issue in metal spring energized seals (what is that you ask?). These are used in downhole tools and have a service life of 10-20yrs. The rate of stress decay will depend on time and imposed load. So if designed properly, the spring can last the expected lifetime of the product.
https://www.nationalboard.org/Index.aspx?pageID=181

Look at Table 1 at the bottom. Below these temperature these materials do not creep.
All materials creep. Even if it’s not significant for a given application. Even glass creeps. But whatever.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Metals, especially steel, do not creep. And as bbhack said, as long as the load is under the elastic limit, there is no permanent deformation, so barring corrosion or other outside influence, the spring will perform its function essentially forever.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

In some firearms, things like firing pin springs, recoil springs, and magazine springs are considered to be "consumables" ... just like the timing belt or chain in a car, for instance. Heck, even gun barrels are consumables. (Read up on AR15 gas vent erosion for just one example of why.) However, most of these things will last through MANY thousands of more cycles than the average user will ever subject them to, so for all practical purposes, this is not something most of us will ever have to worry about for almost any gun built in the last 75 years or so.

I still have the original firing pin spring, recoil spring, and magazine springs in my dad's old 1943 Ithaca 1911A1 which he carried in WW2. They still work fine, and for the years from 1945 to his death in 1990 when I inherited that gun, it was kept uloaded, but the magazines had been stored loaded with FMJs. And to the best of my knowledge, Dad never fired a gun again after the war....having already had all of the gunfire he ever cared to experience again. So that was 45 YEARS of storage with the magazine springs under tension. These days, the mags are unloaded, and the pistol is mostly a safe queen. I bring her out once in a great while, but she’s earned her rest. But when I do bring her out, I still use the old WW2 magazines, and they function just fine.

Anyway, all of this was my long-winded way of repeating to the OP what others have said.... don’t worry about it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lena

Post by Lena »

I have a magazine loaded by my uncle in WW1 I have shot 1 round a year from it for 3 years now and works fine. I change out my carry mags 1-2 times a year and don't give such a thought at all.
Stay Safe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”