Do Springs Take a Set if the Striker is pre-cocked/the hammer cocked?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Do Springs Take a Set if the Striker is pre-cocked/the hammer cocked?

Post by oljames3 »

To be clear, when I said earlier that my magazines stay loaded, I also meant that I have a round chambered and my M&P is ready to fire. It stays in this condition with only short breaks for cleaning. Three years, 5000+ rounds. Yes, metals can change over time. However, the springs in a modern autoloader will last long enough that most of us will not see the difference. There are exceptions, of course. Contact your pistol's manufacturer if you have questions.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this video seems to lay out clearly the science behind what many had already stated, but in video from with charts & stuff to articulate the same conclusion: modern springs will likely outlast the other components in a consumable item.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I had an AR that sat in the gun case for about 4 years with a round in the chamber, cocked and locked. When I was shooting it later, I started getting misfires. Tried with different makes of ammo, same issue. It wasn't hitting the primer hard enough. I put in a Wolf Extra Power hammer spring. Problem solved. Since then, I've stored the gun uncocked with an empty chamber.
-Ruark

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Ruark wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:18 pm I had an AR that sat in the gun case for about 4 years with a round in the chamber, cocked and locked. When I was shooting it later, I started getting misfires. Tried with different makes of ammo, same issue. It wasn't hitting the primer hard enough. I put in a Wolf Extra Power hammer spring. Problem solved. Since then, I've stored the gun uncocked with an empty chamber.
I am thinking it may have been more of a dried out/non-lubrication issue than weakened spring. However, unless you need to be locked and loaded with a firearm, there’s no reason to have the springs compressed and under tension.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Mike S wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:59 am Sorry to revive an old thread, but this video seems to lay out clearly the science behind what many had already stated, but in video from with charts & stuff to articulate the same conclusion: modern springs will likely outlast the other components in a consumable item.

Very interesting video and a good job by the young fellow. Thank you for sharing it. I had a police officer friend dating back to the late 60's that carried a 1911, which was a rarity back then as most carried revolvers; mainly Model 19 S&W's. He was convinced he had to unload his mags every month or so to let them rest and rotate to the ones he had "rested". I ran into him a couple of years ago and gun talk came up and he brought up the fact he always told any rookies he trained who carried semi-autos to do the same. Knowing him as I do this video would fall on deaf ears.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”