Small slim guns have ruined me!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Small slim guns have ruined me!

Post by flechero »

cmgee67 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:33 am Yeah if I carried a 1911 it would have to be a lightweight and in 9mm. I think then I could get close to the same weight of a Glock 19. I believe loaded the 19 come in at around 29-30 oz. I think is dependent upon bullet weight.
I didn't realize the g19's were that heavy. Depending on specific model, the LW framed 3, 3.5 & 4 inch 1911's are between 23 and 30 oz

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longtooth »

cmgee67 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:54 pm The G43x is a smooth shooter TAM. If you get the chance I would recommend shooting one.
My wife sure likes hers. To me it is still a gggaalok. Still kan't hardly say it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I did the single-stack thing for a while with an XDS in 4". But, then I tried the M&P M2.0 Compact 4". I shoot it so well, that it is my EDC. I don't have a rotation. I prefer to practice with the gun I carry all the time. I have a both an OWB and IWB holster. When I wear the IWB holster, I don't worry about printing. Most people have their noses in their smart phone wouldn't see a gorilla it was standing in front of them.

Now for the OWB, I use when I'm commuting to the office. Office has a no-gun policy and I need the health insurance. I used a leather OWB with a retention strap finished with a highly polished black leather. I keep the gun in a vault built into my truck. Since my office attire is suit/tie or sportcoat/tie, most people mistake me outside of the office for either a LEO or don't give me much attention. Most people do not interpret a person in suit/tie as threatening.

On a side note, one patron at a restaurant told the owner that they would not return to the restaurant because they saw gun under my sport coat at the drink station. Owner is a friend. She told them her dining room is neutral territory. She does not discriminate against people that carry firearms for professional or personal reasons. We have been getting take out from her twice/week since Covid-19.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

OneGun wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:56 am

On a side note, one patron at a restaurant told the owner that they would not return to the restaurant because they saw gun under my sport coat at the drink station. Owner is a friend. She told them her dining room is neutral territory. She does not discriminate against people that carry firearms for professional or personal reasons. We have been getting take out from her twice/week since Covid-19.
Guess you can't fix Stupid... Probably a transplant from California....

Terryr21
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Terryr21 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:59 am
Terryr21 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:33 pm I'm a pretty slim guy and I carry IWB. When I first got my LTC I appendix carried a USP compact. I hated having to adjust every time I sat down or bend over, so the USP compact became my nightstand gun and I got a P30sk which I IWB'd at 4:00. Comfort was vastly improved until the P365 came out (traded the P30sk), and that's been my carry gun ever since.
One of my early carry guns was a USP Compact .40 cal, which I carried both IWB and OWB. I really like the gun, but didn’t like the caliber, so I sold it and bought a M&P45....which I still own but no longer carry. The USP Compact is a great platform. If I had bought mine in 9mm or .45 ACP instead, I’d most likely still have it today. I’m a lefty, so mine had an ambidextrous safety/decocker, and I had also installed a slightly lighter hammer spring to lighten up the DA trigger pull a noticeable amount. But I really liked that I could safely carry it either decocked or cocked and locked. Since my other carry gun at the time was a 1911, I tended to carry the USP cocked and locked; and I used the decocker primarily when carrying the gun off-body (rarely), or when manipulating the gun for unloading, cleaning, etc. But I always thought that was a convenient feature.

I probably wouldn’t run out and buy another new USP Compact today (do they even still make them?), primarily because I’m already pretty well invested in Glocks of different sizes, and I don’t really need another polymer carry pistol in any caliber. By the same token, I regret selling off that pistol, even if I hated the caliber. It’s a really neat platform....accurate, and reliable. I might consider buying a used one in 9mm down the road if the price were right.
My USP compact is 9mm (Think I bought it new 3 years ago?). The only modifications I did to it was swap out the mag release paddle for a larger one from an HK 45 compact and add a TLR-3 light. Otherwise it's a solid pistol and I liked the decocker function. Good question if they still make em now :confused5

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

The USP compacts are still on H&Ks website.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 8

Post by cmgee67 »

I have always wanted an HK usp 45

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Admittedly, I’ve got a “few” handguns. I love them all. Ever since I got my P365, I often find myself trying to justify carrying my other guns...ya know the “well it’s a bad part of town so i may need more rounds” or some other excuse. I do sometimes carry other guns just because I like them. But more often than not the 365 winds up in my pocket. It just checks sooooo many boxes for me. Thin, light, small, good capacity, adequate caliber, good trigger, good accuracy, fits my hand well, metal controls, great sights. It is truly the “jack of all trades” gun. The ONLY thing I wish it had was double strike capability...I understand that this is basically impossible for a striker fired gun. I know; tap, rack, roll...but I also know that under extreme distress most of us will just keep popping the trigger even if there is a malfunction.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It is at times like these that I have a better appreciation of how John the Baptist felt when he referred to himself as a voice in the wilderness. Here is my prayer for all who have lost their way.

• Lord, what have we become!!? You inspired John Moses Browning to design the 1911 so we could have a large caliber pistol with a trigger designed in Heaven. Just as Adam and Eve fell from the Garden, we have fallen from the perfect handgun You inspired. Many have lost their way and started carrying plastic pistols. These are actually crew-served weapons requiring one person to hold the gun and another person to use a hammer and center punch to manipulate the trigger.

We complain about a few ounces in weight, while ignoring the great weight we carry on our shoulders -- the responsibility to smite the evil ones that would slaughter us and our loved ones. We carry plastic mouse guns loaded with ammo so small we must use tweezers to remove it from diminutive boxes. When we discharge these abominations, the person standing next to us looks to the sky and says, "Did you hear something?" The evil among us laugh at our feeble efforts and continue with their dastardly deeds. But when we fire Your gun, it is like thunder from Heaven! All with ears smile remembering Your great work and those that would do us harm are no more.

Forgive us oh Lord and lead us back to Heaven's handgun before it's too late.

Amen.

Chas.

NOTE: To my fellow Bible-believing Christians, I have already prayed for forgiveness, should the Lord find this disrespectful rather than humorous.

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:20 pm It is at times like these that I have a better appreciation of how John the Baptist felt when he referred to himself as a voice in the wilderness. Here is my prayer for all who have lost their way.

• Lord, what have we become!!? You inspired John Moses Browning to design the 1911 so we could have a large caliber pistol with a trigger designed in Heaven. Just as Adam and Eve fell from the Garden, we have fallen from the perfect handgun You inspired. Many have lost their way and started carrying plastic pistols. These are actually crew-served weapons requiring one person to hold the gun and another person to use a hammer and center punch to manipulate the trigger.

We complain about a few ounces in weight, while ignoring the great weight we carry on our shoulders -- the responsibility to smite the evil ones that would slaughter us and our loved ones. We carry plastic mouse guns loaded with ammo so small we must use tweezers to remove it from diminutive boxes. When we discharge these abominations, the person standing next to us looks to the sky and says, "Did you hear something?" The evil among us laugh at our feeble efforts and continue with their dastardly deeds. But when we fire Your gun, it is like thunder from Heaven! All with ears smile remembering Your great work and those that would do us harm are no more.

Amen.

Chas.

NOTE: To my fellow Bible-believing Christians, I have already prayed for forgiveness, should the Lord find this disrespectful rather than humorous.
Amen and well played sir :tiphat:
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:20 pm It is at times like these that I have a better appreciation of how John the Baptist felt when he referred to himself as a voice in the wilderness. Here is my prayer for all who have lost their way.

Amen.

Chas.

I’m not gonna lie. That was funny! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:20 pm It is at times like these that I have a better appreciation of how John the Baptist felt when he referred to himself as a voice in the wilderness.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 8

Post by cmgee67 »

Amen.

Chas.

This is great

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

OneGun wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:56 am I did the single-stack thing for a while with an XDS in 4". But, then I tried the M&P M2.0 Compact 4". I shoot it so well, that it is my EDC. I don't have a rotation. I prefer to practice with the gun I carry all the time. I have a both an OWB and IWB holster. When I wear the IWB holster, I don't worry about printing. Most people have their noses in their smart phone wouldn't see a gorilla it was standing in front of them.

Now for the OWB, I use when I'm commuting to the office. Office has a no-gun policy and I need the health insurance. I used a leather OWB with a retention strap finished with a highly polished black leather. I keep the gun in a vault built into my truck. Since my office attire is suit/tie or sportcoat/tie, most people mistake me outside of the office for either a LEO or don't give me much attention. Most people do not interpret a person in suit/tie as threatening.

I carried an M1911A1 in the 1st Cavalry Division. Now I have an S&W M&P9 M2.0 5" as my only primary EDC, with a Ruger LCR .38 Special as backup. I no rotation. I carry the M&P OWB in a Safariland 7TS ALS. I went to HEB this morning, wearing a t-shirt with an unbuttoned shirt for cover. Otherwise, I carry openly. When my sons turn 21 and get their LTC, I buy them an S&W M&P9 M2.0 Compact 4".

One of the reasons I chose the M&P9 5" is its similarity in shape to the M1911A1. One of the other reasons is that it carries over twice the number of rounds.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I have been in search of a perfect carry gun (at least for me) for some time. After trying several different pistols, I have landed on a Dan Wesson Valkyrie 45 ACP. It has a commander length barrel and an officer length frame (that is made of aluminum). It is thin, weighs 28 oz. (makes it much more comfortable to carry than a full size all steel 1911) and it is a 1911. It is ready to go out of the box. If you shop around and are patient, you can find very good deals these. The only negative is that you know your are shooting a 45 since it only weighs 28 oz. I have put a lot of rounds through mine. They are superbly reliable and accurate.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”