My 629 PC Revolver does damage from both ends

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Re: My 629 PC Revolver does damage from both ends

Post by oljames3 »

I think I'll stick to single shot cannons like the M109A6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsVt2NCC3mM
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

oljames3 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:50 pm I think I'll stick to single shot cannons like the M109A6.
Hey, those should be Lib / Cali approved. Single shot, none if that high capacity business. :smilelol5:

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mrvmax »

parabelum wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:06 pm
oljames3 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:50 pm I think I'll stick to single shot cannons like the M109A6.
Hey, those should be Lib / Cali approved. Single shot, none if that high capacity business. :smilelol5:
I need an OWB holster for that. I’d try it.....

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

mrvmax wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:15 pm
parabelum wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:06 pm
I need an OWB holster for that. I’d try it.....
That's the beauty of this system. You don't carry it ... it carries you. :lol::
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

Until "Dirty Harry" hit the movie theaters you could go to a pawn shop and find used 629's with a box of 44 Mag ammo with 6 rounds missing.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

puma guy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:59 am Until "Dirty Harry" hit the movie theaters you could go to a pawn shop and find used 629's with a box of 44 Mag ammo with 6 rounds missing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love my 5” Model 29 Classic. It’s a great revolver and quite accurate, and I’ll never sell it, but I don’t think of .44 Magnum is a practical choice as a daily carry caliber for anywhere outside of maybe Alaska...and that means downloading to .44 Special. And I don’t want to EDC a heavy N-framed .44 Magnum weighing 44.7 oz unloaded, just so I can stoke it with only 6 rounds of overpriced .44 Special that has less pop than .45 ACP. I can carry one of several lighter semiauto pistols I own loaded with twice that number of standard or +P .45 ACP cartridges, and a semiauto can be reloaded faster too. So while I think the Model 29 series are great pistols, I’m not convinced that they’re the best EDC pistol for those of us who don’t live where we're likely to encounter dangerous 4-legged animals like lions, tigers, and bears, oh my.

I just got out my trusty kitchen food scale.....
  • 5” Model 29 Classic = 44.7 oz, unloaded.
  • 6 rounds of 240 grain 44 magnum = 5.125 oz.
  • The loaded revolver weighs 49.875 oz.
  • A 6 round reload weighs another 5.125 oz PLUS the weight of the speedloader.
  • 1 round = .75 oz, times however many extra rounds I carry.
That’s a LOT of extra weight to carry around every day, for a low round count, in a handgun that will be more difficult for most shooters—myself included—to manage in a gunfight, compared to, say a Glock 19 or some other commonly carried semiauto in the usual SD calibers.

Conversely....
  • Glock 19 with an empty magazine = 23.63 oz.
  • 1 round of 135 grain +P = .375 oz
  • Therefore a fully loaded G19 = 29.63 oz.
  • A 15 round reload mag of 135 gr 9mm +P = 9.25 oz
  • A 15+1 loaded G19, PLUS a 15 round spare mag weighs 38.83 oz ..... 5.8 oz LESS than the unloaded Model 29.
Practically demands either suspenders or a shoulder holster for the LTC who wants to remain smartly dressed. :mrgreen:

So.... besides being a fun range gun, where would I likely carry my Model 29, and how? How is easy....either a shoulder holster, or a chest-front hunting type of holster. Where, would either be in the great outdoors where there is a chance of running into bears or hogzilla; or as a primary hunting weapon. In that capacity, I’d love to pair it with an 18” or 20” barreled lever action.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I think heavy 44spl (Buffalo bore) comes pretty close to 45acp +p equivalent with slight advantage in sectional density. But yea, you better figure out how to hold your pants up unless you get a shoulder rig.
One advantage of 629 is how nicely it will smack your hand especially in a short barrel. My G19 just can’t do that. "rlol"

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:20 pm
puma guy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:59 am Until "Dirty Harry" hit the movie theaters you could go to a pawn shop and find used 629's with a box of 44 Mag ammo with 6 rounds missing.

I love my 5” Model 29 Classic. It’s a great revolver and quite accurate, and I’ll never sell it, but I don’t think of .44 Magnum is a practical choice as a daily carry caliber for anywhere outside of maybe Alaska...and that means downloading to .44 Special. And I don’t want to EDC a heavy N-framed .44 Magnum weighing 44.7 oz unloaded, just so I can stoke it with only 6 rounds of overpriced .44 Special that has less pop than .45 ACP. I can carry one of several lighter semiauto pistols I own loaded with twice that number of standard or +P .45 ACP cartridges, and a semiauto can be reloaded faster too. So while I think the Model 29 series are great pistols, I’m not convinced that they’re the best EDC pistol for those of us who don’t live where we're likely to encounter dangerous 4-legged animals like lions, tigers, and bears, oh my.

That’s a LOT of extra weight to carry around every day, for a low round count, in a handgun that will be more difficult for most shooters—myself included—to manage in a gunfight, compared to, say a Glock 19 or some other commonly carried semiauto in the usual SD calibers.

Conversely....
  • A 15+1 loaded G19, PLUS a 15 round spare mag weighs 38.83 oz ..... 5.8 oz LESS than the unloaded Model 29.
Practically demands either suspenders or a shoulder holster for the LTC who wants to remain smartly dressed. :mrgreen:

So.... besides being a fun range gun, where would I likely carry my Model 29, and how? How is easy....either a shoulder holster, or a chest-front hunting type of holster. Where, would either be in the great outdoors where there is a chance of running into bears or hogzilla; or as a primary hunting weapon. In that capacity, I’d love to pair it with an 18” or 20” barreled lever action.
I had a Redhawk 7.5 inch 30 years ago I used for White Tail Deer. It did the job. I don't think the thought of using any 44 mag as a carry gun ever crossed my mind. I also have a few model 29's in 6" and neither is that much fun to shoot. I have watched people at indoor ranges ask to be moved after I lit off a few rounds. I have also been the victim of people shooting off the 44 mag beside me and it isn't a pleasant experience. The shock wave alone from the darn thing left my liver vibrating for ten minutes.

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mrvmax »

Conversely....

The 629 makes a good backup revolver while hunting hogs, it’s not too large to be uncomfortable sitting in a blind and I have a lever action in 44 that goes well with it. I think it will also be good to carry while tracking a shot hog in the brush. I carry so much junk hunting that I don’t notice extra weight but honestly my Kahr K40 and two spare mags would not be considered light and I carry that daily.

I’ve carried my 4” S&W 500 concealed while hunting too and it’s a bit larger than the 629. Although I like a small and light carry gun I’ve also carried a Para 14-45 (which is a double stack 45) early in my carry days and it was anything but light and small.

The recoil on the 629 does not bother me, it’s the frame digging into my hand that does but I’ll correct that with new grips. I’m one of the few people that like big bore revolvers but they are certainly not for everyone. I’m sure the day will come when they are no longer fun to shoot. Until then I will enjoy them, they are a blast - literally.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Conversely....

When I was selling guns I asked my cousin to ascertain whether one of our other stores had a Model 29. In those days we didn't have department phones. He came back to tell me they did indeed have one. Presentation boxed 8-3/8" bbl. Good says I, when I get off I'm going to go buy it. He had a sly grin on his face, so I knew what he'd done. I put it on layaway, says he. In those days S&W & Rugers were few and far between and I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk in stock, so that's what I bought instead. It's actually more comfortable for me to shoot than the 29 was. I have carried it when I deer hunted a few times. A guy on the lease shot a deer with his .357 that ran away. I accidentally found it a week later on the far side of the lease. Just followed the smell. So I figured if a deer was ever close enough the .44 should do the trick. Ironically I did shoot a deer with it. I tracked one of the guys' wounded buck that was about to jump the fence to the next property. DRT. Made my day! LOL
Last edited by puma guy on Mon May 04, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:34 pm

Conversely....

I had a Redhawk 7.5 inch 30 years ago I used for White Tail Deer. It did the job. I don't think the thought of using any 44 mag as a carry gun ever crossed my mind. I also have a few model 29's in 6" and neither is that much fun to shoot. I have watched people at indoor ranges ask to be moved after I lit off a few rounds. I have also been the victim of people shooting off the 44 mag beside me and it isn't a pleasant experience. The shock wave alone from the darn thing left my liver vibrating for ten minutes.
"rlol"

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

With all that ammo and revolver weight you'll need to put it on two wheels on it and roll it around like a cannon.

Iunnrais
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Iunnrais »

I've paired mine with a Marlin in .44 for hunting hogs out on the farm when I want light and nimble (the rifle, not the revolver). Works fairly well in that case. Proven to stop a hog in it's tracks too.

It's also pretty much my favorite range handgun. I skip the expensive .44 special ammo though and just reload magnum cases with a 240gr Bayou Bullet over a case full of Trailboss. Those are a ton of fun out of both the rifle and the revolver. Very similar to a .45acp in that guise.

I also have some sturm und drang loads of H110 under a 180Gr XTP. Mainly worked up for the rifle, but will occasionally let someone light one off from the revolver. :biggrinjester:

I do try an limit the full bore magnums that run through it. I like the gun and want to keep it around and in good shape to be passed on to a grandkid someday.

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 2farnorth »

A 629 4 inch was one of my favorites until arthritis weakened my wrists and fingers. Sold it and hope it's being enjoyed. I miss it.
N5PNZ

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

It has been a while since I took my 44 mags for a run. This thread brings back memories. I admit that firing off a few rounds causes me to laugh at the sheer power of the darn thing.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”