My 629 PC Revolver does damage from both ends

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 6

My 629 PC Revolver does damage from both ends

Post by mrvmax »

I just got this 629 Performance Center last week and took it out for the inaugural run last weekend, all I could find locally were some full power Winchester (which the box stated was for bear and deer). With those loads it "requires" shooting gloves I usually only wear them when shooting my Freedom Arms with 454 Casull rounds or with my 4" S&W 500. I made it through a few shots and a blister formed so I wore gloves the remainder of the range session. 44 Special loads are enjoyable, the 44 mag not so much.

This week I got in my carry ammo so I wanted to fire a few cylinders through to see how accurate it was and how well it functioned. I put on my shooting gloves and by the second shot my thumb was feeling some substantial pain. I carry a small first aid kit in my range bag so I decided to pull off my glove to put on a band aid. When I did my thumb had sustained some damage, if you care to see it you can peruse the link at the bottom of the post, there are a couple of pictures there. I cleaned it up some, put on a bandaid and wrapped it in some medical tape. I put on two pair of shooting gloves and fired 4 more shots and called it a day. I really need to buy some Hogue grips for this revolver. I will say it is very accurate, even with a torn up thumb. the targets at the link below were from 25 feet.
I think this 44 is harder to shoot than the 500. Well, at least the 500 does not blister up my thumbs, it just leaves my hands sore.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/moderndefensi ... llc/5087pN

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Re: My 629 PC Revolver does damage from both ends

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

LOL... But Why??? :biggrinjester:

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:43 pm LOL... But Why??? :biggrinjester:
Every once in a while I ask myself that. I’m drawn to big bore revolvers. When I first got my Freedom Arms it hurt to shoot, it was worse than the 500. It was used but looked new and I know why. So I sent it off to have it Magna Ported along with an action job and some tuning. Now it is pleasant to shoot, the porting did wonders.
I think new grips will make it manageable. I’d like to see if I can hit a pig shaped target at 50 yards....

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by strogg »

That looks so nice... I was window shopping that exact same revolver this morning. I ended up being kicked out because I got drool all over the counter.

As for the thumb, I feel you. The first time I shot my 500 ended up with a bleeding thumb. I've since heavily modified my grip.

Which 454 do you have? And how does the recoil compare between that and the 629?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have shot 44 mag through my Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel and it is a heavy frame revolver. Fifty rounds and I feel like I lost a boxing match. Had a 6" S&W and same thing. It beats the heck out of me. I can't imagine firing 44 mag through that stubby. Cool handgun though. I like it. I just wouldn't want to shoot it more than once or twice.

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

strogg wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:50 pm That looks so nice... I was window shopping that exact same revolver this morning. I ended up being kicked out because I got drool all over the counter.

As for the thumb, I feel you. The first time I shot my 500 ended up with a bleeding thumb. I've since heavily modified my grip.

Which 454 do you have? And how does the recoil compare between that and the 629?
Freedom Arms 83 Field grade, the 629 is worse but I think it’s due to the stock grips. I’ll compare once I get some Hogue grips on it. I had a 6.5 ” 629 and it did not bother me at all.

strogg

Post by strogg »

mrvmax wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:03 pm
strogg wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:50 pm That looks so nice... I was window shopping that exact same revolver this morning. I ended up being kicked out because I got drool all over the counter.

Freedom Arms 83 Field grade, the 629 is worse but I think it’s due to the stock grips. I’ll compare once I get some Hogue grips on it. I had a 6.5 ” 629 and it did not bother me at all.
I don't think a barrel less than 3 inches is helping matters very much.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

Years ago a friend of mine had a Thompson Contender. He had a couple of barrels including a .357 Mag. It was very accurate and pleasant to shoot.
After a while he decided to buy a .44 Mag barrel. We went to the range one weekend and he tried some factory loads. After shooting three or four
rounds his hand looked pretty much like in your pictures. He didn't think to bring some gloves. The next time he went out he shot some .44 Spl. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

:biggrinjester:
Stop whining and go feed that darn revolver one more box of 300gr Buffalo Bore ammo! :lol::

That’s a nice little booboo you’re sporting there Lol. I have my model 29-3 with 6” barrel and shooting hot 44mag ammo doesn’t feel too great, on that little snubbie...I can only guess "rlol"

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

AndyC wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:25 pm Fun stuff :)

Was the damage to your thumb caused by the cylinder-latch? I remember when it was a 'thing' to grind them down some.
Nope, just recoil from the left grip.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmgee67 »

That’s a good looking gun! I bet new grips would alleviate the problem. Keep us posted on future updates.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Although I haven’t done it in a while, I have shot 50 rounds in a single range session before of American Eagle 240 gr JSPs from my 5” Model 29. And while it has what I would call substantial recoil for a handgun, I’ve never felt the need to wear a glove while shooting it. It still has the OEM Hogue rubber grips that it came with, and they seem to keep it pain free. The main sensation, besides the noticeable torque, is the thump to the palm of my hand; but it’s not what I’d call painful.

Now, 158 gr "Express" white tail hunting loads from a 13 oz .357 Magnum snubbie are a different kettle of fish entirely. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

I'll echo the grips comment (although, my original grips are in a box as over the decades they have come to resemble something more akin to a rock than rubber). It's (my 629-1) worn Hogue's Miculek grips for the past 7 years.

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Take Down Sicko »

That 629 revolver shoots like a hand held 30-06. You have to use two hands and a foot to fire it. When i handled it once, i took a shot and it shot more fire out the sides than my bbq grill and loosened my false teeth all at the same time.
On another note...i went to Academy just now to look around to see if there was any pistol i would like to buy. Was looking for another sig p320 series pistol or a beretta 92 fs compact in particular. Walked up to the gun counter and half the gun display shelves were empty as were the ammo shelves. Looked online and everything that caught my eye was out of stock as well. Just wondering when they will restock on weapons and ammo.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”