Self-Defense / Tactical Pens

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Self-Defense / Tactical Pens

Post by C-dub »

Rob72 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:12 am Most "Tac" pens are pretty tacky, and very obvious.

Countycomm's offering is a best-of: https://countycomm.com/collections/pens ... mbassy-pen
That is another reason I decided to start off with the 701. And since I'll use this mostly at work and keep it in the breast pocket of my scrubs I prefer it to have a push button clicker on the end rather than a cap to remove.

I was out and about this morning and decided to swing by an Office Depot, actually an Office Max, but whatever. They had the Fisher Space Pen refills and I got one and put it in. It works pretty good. I'll know more on Monday when I'm back in the lab to see how it really works in action. With the ink that came with the pen I did notice some spottiness described by many online that recommended the Fisher refills as a better option. The barrel of the Fisher's are larger in diameter. It is a slightly more snug fit, but still operates okay. Especially after I put a dab of Weapon Shield oil on it and rubbed it around the barrel. I'm not sure if it is larger because of more ink or because of the pressurization. I only picked up one refill to see how I like it instead of the three pack I have in my cart from Amazon.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have one. It's black. I don't know for sure where it is. I THINK it's in my BOB, but I don't know for sure, and I don't care enough to get up and go look. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I had a cheap no-name tactical pen that I was given for free. Flew with it many times without issue till one day I entered DFW through Terminal D and a fancy automated machine x-rayed it and kicked it out. TSA claimed it was a kubotan and confiscated it. Let the Zebra 701 through. Funny as the Zebra was several times more stout than the cheap tactical pen.

C-Dub, you’ll be happy with the Fisher refills. I have three or four Zebra 701s set up that way. Love them.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

Rob72 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:12 am Most "Tac" pens are pretty tacky, and very obvious.

Countycomm's offering is a best-of: https://countycomm.com/collections/pens ... mbassy-pen
I have carried a stainless embassy pen for about 4 years. I love it. It is much heavier than any other pen I have owned. It can be used like a kubaton without looking menacing. I flew to Florida a few years ago and security never gave it a second look. Well worth the money.
Truth against the world

parabelum
Posts in topic: 4

Post by parabelum »

So, reviving this thread a bit...a friend will have no choice but to fly for an out of state vacation in the next few weeks and the idea of tactical pen seems appealing right now. The one linked below is a low profile one and would be in a computer bag with a laptop and a notepad as a carry on. This friend also has global entry/pre-check. :tiphat:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I've been liking those Zebra pens!
:cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Ohhh scope? Vertical fore grip? Lasers??? :smilelol5:
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

I worked Offshore so many years and my pens went overboard quite regularly - so I would buy these by the dozens.....

Now I like these and I use them even though I do not have too.

gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

parabelum
Posts in topic: 4

Post by parabelum »

My CRKT just came in. Looks pretty good. Sturdy feel but it isn’t bulky. Nice contours and a viscous front punch. Won’t break while “writing”....

https://upload.picpaste.me/image/sXYNk
https://upload.picpaste.me/image/sXumf

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

parabelum wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:37 pm My CRKT just came in. Looks pretty good. Sturdy feel but it isn’t bulky. Nice contours and a viscous front punch. Won’t break while “writing”....

https://upload.picpaste.me/image/sXYNk
https://upload.picpaste.me/image/sXumf
Neither of those links appear to work for me.

I am still using my Zebra F701 and am on my second space pen cartridge. I replaced the original cartridge with a space pen cartridge pretty soon since I didn't like how it wrote.
It's fairly innocuous looking as pens go. Not "tactical" or anything. Different, but not different enough to set off and alarms, but I haven't tried flying with it either. I just haven't had anyone at work say anything about it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

couzin

Post by couzin »

I have carried one of the Zebra full metal pens since the mid 1990s. As a USACE Ranger, the only options we had if confronted/attacked was 'verbal judo', flee, defensive moves, or something we could put our hands on to stop the attack (absolutely no guns). I had my Kershaw and my Zebra. USACE did issue pepper spray in the mid 2000s but I felt it was going to be useless against some methed-up junkie plus it was harder to deploy.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”