Interested in an AR-10 style rifle in .308. Help me decide?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Interested in an AR-10 style rifle in .308. Help me decide?

Post by strogg »

If you're looking for an AR10 style rifle, I'd stick with something with the DPMS pattern. They are much more prevalent parts-wise. They did originally come in the Armalite pattern, but those are rarer.

I'd stay away from any lower end brands. Stick with name brands that make their parts in-house or source parts from higher end companies. You'll be surprised what kinds of barrels and configurations are out there that are ludicrously unreliable. For example, there are many Aero Precision rifles with barrels that are not headspaced properly from the factory, and those cannot be fixed without replacing the entire barrel assembly. CMMG barrels are the same way. To make it worse, there are barrels out there with gas blocks just a couple inches from the muzzle. Think rifle length gas on a 16 inch barrel. Uh uh. Those are typically under gassed, and with the wrong ammo with faster burning powder, they will constantly short stroke.

For good brands, LMT and DD come to mind.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I had a DPMS Oracle in .308/7.62x51. Rifle worked flawlessly for me and ate every ammo I fed it from commercial, GI Lake City, various milsurp Brit and German rounds nd even steel cased Russian stuff. Only reason I sold it was that I was downsizing the collection and compared to my 5.56 ARs was VERRRY heavy. Not a problem sitting in the blind waiting for hogs, but a chore to lug back and forth (for me). Also, I had other rifles in .308 that are quite a bit lighter, but none are semis.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rafe »

I think I might add LaRue Tactical to strogg's list. Not only a Texas company (in Leander), but they make consistent quality stuff. A friend has one of their PredatOBR 7.62 models with a 20" barrel, and he swears if he could keep only one long gun, that would be it. I've shot it several times--popped a couple of hogs with it--and it's a tank. They also make a 7.62 in a somewhat lighter-weight model; don't remember what that one's called. The downside is that, to my knowledge, there's almost always a waiting list for their rifles.

Another friend swears by his POF-USA "Revolution." This one has an adjustable gas piston system, but it's a lot lighter than the LaRue PredatOBR. It's also a shorter 16.5" barrel. I've shot this one only a few times, but I have to say it shoots awfully soft for a lightweight .308. I assume it's the gas system. On the downside, what I've heard is that if you get a good POF, you've got a gem. But if you get a lemon, support can be problematic. And there seem to be some lemons that get shipped, but I can't actually confirm that (kinda sorta the Kimber of the AR-style rifle world?).

I have a LaRue cap that my buddy gave me when he got his PredatOBR, so if I had the money I think I would, personally, look at a PredatOBR but in an 18" barrel. You know, already have the apparel. ;-) But if someone offered me a POF that seemed to function fine from the manufacturer, I wouldn't turn it down. I think you're at around $3.2 street price for the LaRue, and maybe $2.6K for the POF.

In my limited experience, I have no problem building a 5.56 AR from parts, but I think I'd want to spend the bucks to get a complete, above-mid-grade system if going .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Your biggest issue might be finding one in stock at a reasonable price. The past few days the only semi-auto .308 rifles I’ve seen in stock are Springfield M1A’s.
Last edited by Grayling813 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I’m partial to the Tavor in .308 but I’d say that DPMS or Ruger SR762 are good choices. I’ve had both in the past and they ran great.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Russell wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:58 am Thanks for the feedback!

So, I settled on the thought of getting DPMS given the feedback here and what I have heard from others, but was surprised that there were only a few stores I could find that were selling exactly what I wanted. Then, I found this:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/is-re ... shuttered/
Remington Outdoor Company informed RSR at the SHOT Show that they will be focusing on their core hunting and shooting brands – AAC, Barnes, Marlin and Remington. Bushmaster, DPMS, StormLake Barrels and Tapco will no longer be produced, with the exception of the Bushmaster BA50.

DPMS will no longer be produced apparently! This is bonkers given the positive feedback I've seen from everywhere about this brand.

It almost makes me still want to grab it before it's no longer possible to do so.
Take a look at the Palmetto State Armory PA10 rifles. Better spec than the M&P10 Sport rifles at similar dollars. Going a little pricier, the Sig 716 Tread is well put together.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Russell wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:58 am Then, I found this:

Remington Outdoor Company informed RSR at the SHOT Show that they will be focusing on their core hunting and shooting brands – AAC, Barnes, Marlin and Remington. Bushmaster, DPMS, StormLake Barrels and Tapco will no longer be produced, with the exception of the Bushmaster BA50.
DPMS will no longer be produced apparently!
Wow! I somehow had not seen this. How did I miss this news? It absolutely looks true. I just tried hitting the (former) DPMS and Bushmaster websites. What you'll find there is attached; just what the Truth About Guns article says. It sure as shootin' looks like Remington has shut them down for any new production/sales. I have no idea what that means for parts/service for existing owners. :shock:
Attachments
DPMS-website_200625.png

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

I have a Dpms LR308 I have laying around PM me if you want details and/ or to purchase.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871581266

I found this on gunbroker. $515 for an Upper/Lower kit. Another 160 for the barrel and gas block. Seems like a reasonable price. Especially for today's climate.

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Syntyr »

If you are interested in building one I just picked up a lower and upper matched DPMS set for 199 from CDNN.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/dpms-lr308-l ... l?___SID=U

Just make sure that if you go with the build versus buy that you get a matched upper and lower receiver set. They are not like AR15's which any upper will work with any lower as long as they are to spec. AR10s don't have that in common and there are subtle differences that will lead to gaps, misfitting parts and feeding issues.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Syntyr »

Rafe wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:20 pm
Russell wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:58 am Then, I found this:

DPMS will no longer be produced apparently!
Wow! I somehow had not seen this. How did I miss this news? It absolutely looks true. I just tried hitting the (former) DPMS and Bushmaster websites. What you'll find there is attached; just what the Truth About Guns article says. It sure as shootin' looks like Remington has shut them down for any new production/sales. I have no idea what that means for parts/service for existing owners. :shock:
Well of course. I finally push the button and I buy something out of production. :mad5
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Syntyr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:52 pm Well of course. I finally push the button and I buy something out of production. :mad5
Well, a good deal on a matched DPMS upper/lower is still a good deal. :thumbsup: It'll shoot straight and reliably for a whole lotta years.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Rafe wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:27 pm
Syntyr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:52 pm Well of course. I finally push the button and I buy something out of production. :mad5
Well, a good deal on a matched DPMS upper/lower is still a good deal. :thumbsup: It'll shoot straight and reliably for a whole lotta years.
The main thing is it will accept any SR25 type of magazine, which is the mil standard. Other brands, Rock River Arms for instance, use parts not used on other common brands. As I recall, the RRA "AR10s" use metric FAL magazines. They’re great rifles, the RRA barrels are good, and they shoot very well, but the lack of commonality of parts is a problem.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”