Has anyone took the time to make a kit or Glock look alike?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 1

Has anyone took the time to make a kit or Glock look alike?

Post by ET-Ret »

Has any one looked into what is required to do the Kit or would it be legal in Texas.
Can they be used in matches as most have no ser #
I do not own a glock and have not looked in to it. with all of the talk of Ghost guns I was wondering?
Can anyone who owns the machinery build any gun except full auto with out ATF papers?
ET-ret

strogg

Re: Has anyone took the time to make a kit or Glock look alike?

Post by strogg »

First off, IANAL.

It is perfectly legal to make your own out of an 80% or less receiver for personal use only. The ATF deems that a block of material that is 80% or less through the process of creating a firearm is considered just a block of whatever. 81-100% would be considered a firearm.

There are kits available for both Glocks and SIG P320s. Normally, you'd want some good, high quality tools to make sure all the cuts are perfect. But the same can be done with a good eye, a Dremel, and a hand drill. The current gen Polymer80 kits are pretty much designed with the Dremel user in mind. Of course, it would be a million times easier if you had a drill press to work with.

As for serials, I *think* the only time you'd need a serial number is if you change your mind down the road and want to sell it. Even then, I'm not sure what the regulations are with selling a firearm you made for your personal collection. Despite that, I make a habit of serializing every firearm I make, as that's a way for the police to track the firearm if it ever gets lost or stolen. I just put my trust info and an arbitrary serial number. Again, this is optional, but a very good idea if you ask me.

It doesn't matter who owns the tools or workshop. It is up to you, the person who wants to make a gun for yourself, to go through the process of hitting the buttons or making the cuts necessary to produce the firearm. It is perfectly fine for someone to guide you over your shoulder along the way. Also, when building, all local and federal laws apply for possession. So no-go if you're a felon. Also no-go if you want to build an SBR without a tax stamp. You get the idea.

And of course, no full auto is allowed for us mere mortals.

I've never built an 80% traditional pistol before. There's no money to be saved, and frankly, Glock and SIG will be able to do a much better job than I can. Although I like to tinker, I am not interested enough in Glock and SIG pistols to warrant building one for myself as a project. But that's just me.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

For range toy I think it would be a nice project. As a carry piece a big no no, at least for me.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Well, I just jumped on this bandwagon. I've never built any gun before (not even an AR, and I know everyone and their uncle has done so), but I just purchased my first 80% lower from RockeyBrass. It'll take some time as I learn the ropes, but it'll be fun.

https://www.rockeybrass.com/Polymer-80- ... _p_19.html
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I had a young man who had put a "G17" together and attempted to take LTC shooting test with it. Way to many malfs early to continue. I loaned him a Springfield XD9M - that went bang every time. ;-)
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”