AMMO. Buying, selling or nothing

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 8

AMMO. Buying, selling or nothing

Post by Tex1961 »

Just as the title says, what are my fellow enthusiasts doing right now. Me, personally I’m just sitting back being very content with what I have in stock. I’m probably losing friends because I won’t sell them any of my 9mm. Oh, I’d probably let go of some of my.22lr if I had too but everything else is just gonna be tucked away. I’ve reduced my range trips and limit myself on how much I bring.

flechero
Posts in topic: 9

Re: AMMO. Buying, selling or nothing

Post by flechero »

I'm holding where I am... having been through shortages before, so i keep enough stock on hand so I can continue to shoot as normal during these shortages. I might buy opportunistically, if a good deal came along but I'm not actively looking for options.

Your friends shouldn't have any heartburn that you have a personal supply of ammo... any of them who think you "owe" them anything are just sour or embarrassed over their own failure to plan... or even keep a minimum stock on hand. It's not like this virus snuck up on us- the whole world was talking about it for a few months before it got here.
:tiphat:

strogg
Posts in topic: 5

Post by strogg »

I'm also buying optimistically. I am well above my safety stock levels for all major calibers, so nothing to worry about here.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

I am not a reloader which means I purchase all of my ammo. I am pretty well set on all gauges and calibers except 223/5.56. That is the newest of my guns so I haven’t accumulated a stockpile for it.
I do watch adds and buy if it’s a really good deal or if I fall below the threshold I set for myself.
Last edited by RPBrown on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

PlatinumCouch

Post by PlatinumCouch »

I have several handguns (different calibers), a couple of rifles and shot guns. I have often thought how much ammunition I should stock for each. I would like to hear what the group thinks is the "target" amount for each type weapon.? Thanks in advance.!!
I carry, not because I hate what is in front of me, but because I love what is behind me.

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Tex1961 »

PlatinumCouch wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:27 pm I have several handguns (different calibers), a couple of rifles and shot guns. I have often thought how much ammunition I should stock for each. I would like to hear what the group thinks is the "target" amount for each type weapon.? Thanks in advance.!!
It’s different for everyone. For me a minimum of 1000 rounds per caliber on the ones I don’t shoot very often. My personal target is 5k to 10k rounds for the ones I do shoot often.

flechero

Post by flechero »

PlatinumCouch wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:27 pm I have several handguns (different calibers), a couple of rifles and shot guns. I have often thought how much ammunition I should stock for each. I would like to hear what the group thinks is the "target" amount for each type weapon.? Thanks in advance.!!
Imagine a corona virus/riot, drought and then an Obama/or Biden election, sandy hook kind of shortage... then decide if you want to just hunker down and ride out the storm- or continue shooting through such a drought... if the latter, you may need anywhere from 3 months to 3 years worth of ammo on hand, depending on your own comfort level and consumption appetite.

How much of each do you shoot in an average year?

E150GT

Post by E150GT »

I was sitting back because I have enough 22lr and 9mm to last a good while. I had a stock of 5.56 but I sold it all because I decided to not go the AR15 route and instead got a . 308 rifle. Now I'm on the hunt for some . 308. I'm in no rush though.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Having done some reading on the subject, I understand that a LOT of firearms have been sold in a relatively short amount of time. I also understand there are supply chain disruptions due to the current "medical situation". However, I am still wondering one thing: will the lack of available ammunition soon slow the purchases of firearms? If someone can't get ammo for it, will they even buy a gun? Not talking about those who have ammo already on hand in a particular caliber, but new buyers.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Me, I'm buying.

Oh, I'm very well stocked for my needs. But I'm still buying.

Yes, it is hard to find. And yes, it is way too expensive when I do find it. But I'm still buying.

So with all that, then why buy now? Because I think it is very possible that six months or a year from now we look back on today and call this the "good times."

If I'm wrong, and the "normal" supply and prices do eventually come back, then oh well, I will take the ribbing for having overpaid for some extra ammo. :oops:

But if I'm right, then I'm just that much farther ahead when it does get nearly impossible to find.

But that's just me. To each his own. :tiphat:

flechero

Post by flechero »

You guys are starting to scare me... I was petty content on ammo/components last week but thinking I may give myself a late B-day present and order some projectiles. :lol:

strogg
Posts in topic: 5

Post by strogg »

In the past month, I noticed a few thing. In the order of which it's happening, 1: the price gougers have increased their prices. 2: reloading supplies for common calibers have dried up. 3: Large ammo suppliers have gone from a shipment every few days to maybe one a week. For example, Midway hasn't had a single shipment of 9mm ball this whole past week. And the scariest one, 4: the mega price gougers who typically have a steady supply of ammo no longer have common calibers in stock.

To be honest, I don't think we'll be seeing ammo becoming regularly available again until 2021 at the absolute earliest. The election won't do anything good. Either the repubs dominate, causing more civil unrest as a leftist knee-jerk reaction, or the libs dominate, and we'll be mass panic buying for a different reason.

In my case, I wish I had more common calibers in my inventory. But at the same time, requiring myself to find alternate storage locations for new ammo I would be purchasing is telling me I probably have enough for the time being. I will still be opportunistically buying, which should allow me to maintain current inventory of what I mostly shoot. Worse comes to worse, my range time will start consisting of guns chambered in 10mm, 7.62xWhatever, etc.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

When I find anything in the calibers I have, if the prices aren’t crazy high - I’m buying as well

Yes - will I end up being an ammo hoarder - probably
But I do not want to be in a position in 6 months or a year, saying “I can’t go to the range until I find more ammo”!
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”