Jerry Miculek - NEVER DO THIS....Revolver Edition

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Jerry Miculek - NEVER DO THIS....Revolver Edition

Post by Paladin »

Great Stuff! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Wow. I'm admittedly not much of a wheelgun guy, but I learned something new and important like every 30 seconds. Rewatched it three times. Considering Jerry is someone who kinda sorta knows just a tiny bit about revolvers and how to run them... :mrgreen:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

george wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:17 pm Applies to smiths, not REAL revolvers like Colts.
Oh no you didn’t! :grumble

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

george wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:17 pm Applies to smiths, not REAL revolvers like Colts.
You mean the ones that don't have timing issues or end shake requiring modifying the frame to fix? :)
Psalm 91:2

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Funny thing..... my first handgun was the 1911 I inherited from my dad. The first handgun I PAID for was a Model 29 revolver. I’ve never done any of those abusive things to a revolver because it just seemed to make sense not to. ONE time, the husband of a woman I was teaching to shoot picked up my 29 off the bench (without asking, I might add), opened the cylinder, and then movie-flipped it closed. When I told him to ask the next time before he picked up one of the guns, and then explained to him why flipping it closed was bad for the gun, he acted like I was making too much of a little thing.

Her shooting instruction came to end end not too long afterward. He had asked me if he could try and shoot the 29, claiming he already had experience shooting pistols. I loaded it for him and handed it over. After firing a couple of rounds single action, he cocked the hammer; and with his finger ON the 1.5 lb trigger, turned to say something to me and swept me with the gun right across my midsection from about 5-6 feet away. I stepped forward, got my thumb between the hammer and the frame, and carefully took it out of his hand, and told him he was done shooting today. When he asked why, I told him, "you just pointed a loaded and cocked .44 magnum at my belly, with your finger on the trigger. Have you heard NOTHING of what I taught your wife today?" He scoffed and said, "I wasn’t going to shoot you." And I said, "THAT is why you’re done shooting today. You do not have a teachable attitude."

She was really ticked off at him.

That was the LAST time I taught a woman to shoot with her husband or boyfriend present. Too much macho gets in the way of good safety habits.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Or maybe revolvers are just more delicate machines than people want to believe. Colt's design doesn't save themselves from having their own issues.

Every double action revolver is susceptible to ejector rods bending, cranes twisting, going out of time, etc.

My point is your coveted Colts aren't magically immune.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”