Which DA/SA gun would you carry?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Which DA/SA gun would you carry?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If it had to be DA/SA, then a CZ 75, P01, Compact, etc. - otherwise a 1911. I'll have to admit that I'm back to carrying my CZ P-10C, in light of the "social unrest." Capacity could well be an issue these days. I may go back to a 1911 in 38Super. I loose five rounds in the mag though and that's what makes going back more difficult.

Chas.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

I'm happy with my Berretta PX4 Storm .45. I de-cock, and then release the safety after holstering, OWB in a locking pancake holster.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I Depend on 3 different traditional DA/SA Weapons.
1: is my 9mm Beretta Storm Sub Compact. It is my everyday carry. It fits into DeSantis Nylon #77
holster. The Subcompact designation might be considered a bit of a misnomer. The 13+1 capacity mags are adequate, Is a soft shooter.

2: is a Ruger KP95. I seldom carry it any more. But it is my Night stand and truck gun. It lives in a cheap leather taco Although it is my original carry gun and the gun has got better over the years, my back and hip joints complain about it a lot. The gun is kinda heavy and it is accurate, safe and rugged. I consider it my goto war hand gun.

3: Is my Berretta 92. It is my open carry gun. It's kinda heavy but shoots well. Hardly any notacble recoil I don't open carry much, but when I do It's carried in a Blackhawk holster (I know, I know).
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

Both... Browning BDM...
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:51 am If it had to be DA/SA, then a CZ 75, P01, Compact, etc. - otherwise a 1911. I'll have to admit that I'm back to carrying my CZ P-10C, in light of the "social unrest." Capacity could well be an issue these days. I may go back to a 1911 in 38Super. I loose five rounds in the mag though and that's what makes going back more difficult.

Chas.
How do you like the P-10? I have seen some reliability issues and it has kept me away

Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

How do you like the P-10? I have seen some reliability issues and it has kept me away
I've had 2, one early, one second variation, around 1000 rounds on each with zero issues on either.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I have to add to the Walther posts: I carried an M&Pc for over a decade, now I carry a Walther P99c (AS). Firing pin block,very good DA, and the best SA on the market in my opinion. The SA trigger on my P99c is crisper than the trigger on my PPQsc! Now all I want is a full size P99AS to go with it.

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by surferdaddy »

Maxwell wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:38 pm I have to add to the Walther posts: I carried an M&Pc for over a decade, now I carry a Walther P99c (AS). Firing pin block,very good DA, and the best SA on the market in my opinion. The SA trigger on my P99c is crisper than the trigger on my PPQsc! Now all I want is a full size P99AS to go with it.

Max
You know...I no longer have my ppq to do a proper “side by side” SA trigger test; but my P99 trigger is so close I doubt I could tell the difference.

It is strange to me that the PPQ set the new standard for polymer trigger pull and then came along the cz p10 and a few other improved polymer pistol triggers but somehow the P99 was lost in the shuffle.

Perhaps people were put off by the manual of arms description. I think “Anti stress mode” confused some people and they just didn’t want to complicate things. I never use the AS mode unless at the range. Otherwise the P99 operates just like any other DA SA gun. Walther probably just should have left the half pulled trigger “catch” out if the equation all together. It just may have changed the course of history. We may all have been carrying ultralight weight DA SA guns instead of striker fired. Who knows?

🏄
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by surferdaddy »

I for one would love to have a little P365 size and weight DA SA pistol. I might would be the end of my search for my pistol nirvana...alas, the search moves on.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

cmgee67 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:20 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:51 am If it had to be DA/SA, then a CZ 75, P01, Compact, etc. - otherwise a 1911. I'll have to admit that I'm back to carrying my CZ P-10C, in light of the "social unrest." Capacity could well be an issue these days. I may go back to a 1911 in 38Super. I loose five rounds in the mag though and that's what makes going back more difficult.

Chas.
It's okay, but it's a striker-fired polymer handgun. I like it better than a Glock, Springfield XDM, M&P or other striker-fired handguns I've shot. The trigger is much better. I've fired at least 10,000 rds with no problems. I don't know of anyone who has had a problem with a P-10C.

Chas.

jason812
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jason812 »

surferdaddy wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:52 pm
Maxwell wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:38 pm I have to add to the Walther posts: I carried an M&Pc for over a decade, now I carry a Walther P99c (AS). Firing pin block,very good DA, and the best SA on the market in my opinion. The SA trigger on my P99c is crisper than the trigger on my PPQsc! Now all I want is a full size P99AS to go with it.

Max
You know...I no longer have my ppq to do a proper “side by side” SA trigger test; but my P99 trigger is so close I doubt I could tell the difference.

It is strange to me that the PPQ set the new standard for polymer trigger pull and then came along the cz p10 and a few other improved polymer pistol triggers but somehow the P99 was lost in the shuffle.

Perhaps people were put off by the manual of arms description. I think “Anti stress mode” confused some people and they just didn’t want to complicate things. I never use the AS mode unless at the range. Otherwise the P99 operates just like any other DA SA gun. Walther probably just should have left the half pulled trigger “catch” out if the equation all together. It just may have changed the course of history. We may all have been carrying ultralight weight DA SA guns instead of striker fired. Who knows?

🏄
Nice to see there are other Walther fans on here.

Walther did a very, very poor job promoting the AS trigger on the P99. I bought the QA version in '06 because I knew nothing about how the AS worked and I didn't have the internet to research. Now I wish I would have gotten an AS instead even though I can shoot it just fine. I still would like to get an AS in 9mm just to have a 9mm. All my other ones are .40cal.

The PPQsc doesn't use the same trigger as the PPQ. It's not like the P99 and P99c which share firing mechanisms.

I do like the paddle mag releaes too. I've looked over the parts diagrams and think I could put a PPQ trigger in a P99c DAO if you swap a few parts. That way I could have a PPQc with paddle mag release.

All my Walthers have ran flawless.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

jason812 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:52 pm
surferdaddy wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:52 pm

Max

🏄
Nice to see there are other Walther fans on here.

Walther did a very, very poor job promoting the AS trigger on the P99. I bought the QA version in '06 because I knew nothing about how the AS worked and I didn't have the internet to research. Now I wish I would have gotten an AS instead even though I can shoot it just fine. I still would like to get an AS in 9mm just to have a 9mm. All my other ones are .40cal.

The PPQsc doesn't use the same trigger as the PPQ. It's not like the P99 and P99c which share firing mechanisms.

I do like the paddle mag releaes too. I've looked over the parts diagrams and think I could put a PPQ trigger in a P99c DAO if you swap a few parts. That way I could have a PPQc with paddle mag release.

All my Walthers have ran flawless.
I agree. The fact that the trigger actually has 3 modes (for lack of a better term), DA, SA, and AS, throws some people off when in actuality it really is just a DA/SA.

"The PPQsc doesn't use the same trigger as the PPQ. " Please explain (translation: WTH?) ;-)
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Sig P239 in .40 S&W or Sig P232 (prefer the stainless SL, but the aluminum frame is much lighter). For the .40 I use a 200 grain XTP at 900 FPS and for the .380 I use a 115 grain XTP at 1025 FPS (both velocities clocked from my carry guns). I am rather proud of the .380 load as it replicates a weak 9mm from a short barrel with a .380 ACP (though I use a 20 lb Wolff spring in the P232).

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”