Anybody bought body armor? Thinking about it....

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bagman45
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Anybody bought body armor? Thinking about it....

Post by bagman45 »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far. The AR500 stuff is really attractive for the price, but I hear the "buy once, cry once" a lot. Will look into the suggested sights, and try to decide what my POU for the armor would be. If it's short stints on the property during unrest, the heavier stuff would probably be ok, but the spalling issues is a concern. Keep your thoughts and experiences coming!!

Rafe
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rafe »

bagman45 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:53 pm Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far. The AR500 stuff is really attractive for the price, but I hear the "buy once, cry once" a lot. Will look into the suggested sights, and try to decide what my POU for the armor would be. If it's short stints on the property during unrest, the heavier stuff would probably be ok, but the spalling issues is a concern. Keep your thoughts and experiences coming!!
I have an AR500 Testudo & 10x12 level III+ plates on order that should arrive in a couple of weeks now; purchased July 1. This will be my third personal carrier, and the first two sorta "aged out." The last one was just nasty-hot because most of it was some kind of of faux-leather vinyl. I'd sweat just looking at it. But kinda like you noted, I don't intend to be a fast-roping, breaching operator--if the situation gets that extreme I'll have more trouble on my hands than the weight of my kit--and I sure don't plan to wear it daily. If it comes to the latter, as others suggested I'll probably look to Kevlar/Aramid stuff that's specifically designed for daily and/or concealed wear.

I'm willing to have more weight and potential partial III+ penetration by M855 when compared to the price difference (about twice as expensive) and the fragility of ceramics. Steel can take several direct hits without damage; ceramics will crack if they get a couple of rifle hits to the same spot. And the adhesives in the ceramic materials have a shelf life.

I've seen plenty of, and been cut by, spall, but off of exposed steel targets, not coated steel enclosed inside a dense cordura carrier. That said, though, one of the reasons I went with the Testudo carrier was because it can accommodate 11x14 plates. I'm going with 10x12 plates and AR500's trauma pads, but I also plan to buy these $40 spall containment sleeves: https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/spa ... nt-sleeve/. I figure that, for the money, they can't hurt. And with the 11x14 plate headroom, I'll have plenty of space to tuck the 10x12 version of everything in the plate sleeve. Gonna wait until the new carrier arrives first, though. And then I'll also see if there's any additional load-out stuff I want to buy in addition to the spall sleeves. I'd like to keep the old carrier functionally independent as a backup (I say it's so my wife will have one of her own, but realistically I know she'll never put the thing on). But mag carriers and such aren't pricey, and the old carrier can't accommodate side plates anyway.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

eyedoc
Posts in topic: 5

Post by eyedoc »

Rafe wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:45 pm
bagman45 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:53 pm Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far. The AR500 stuff is really attractive for the price, but I hear the "buy once, cry once" a lot. Will look into the suggested sights, and try to decide what my POU for the armor would be. If it's short stints on the property during unrest, the heavier stuff would probably be ok, but the spalling issues is a concern. Keep your thoughts and experiences coming!!
I have an AR500 Testudo & 10x12 level III+ plates on order that should arrive in a couple of weeks now; purchased July 1. This will be my third personal carrier, and the first two sorta "aged out." The last one was just nasty-hot because most of it was some kind of of faux-leather vinyl. I'd sweat just looking at it. But kinda like you noted, I don't intend to be a fast-roping, breaching operator--if the situation gets that extreme I'll have more trouble on my hands than the weight of my kit--and I sure don't plan to wear it daily. If it comes to the latter, as others suggested I'll probably look to Kevlar/Aramid stuff that's specifically designed for daily and/or concealed wear.

I'm willing to have more weight and potential partial III+ penetration by M855 when compared to the price difference (about twice as expensive) and the fragility of ceramics. Steel can take several direct hits without damage; ceramics will crack if they get a couple of rifle hits to the same spot. And the adhesives in the ceramic materials have a shelf life.

I've seen plenty of, and been cut by, spall, but off of exposed steel targets, not coated steel enclosed inside a dense cordura carrier. That said, though, one of the reasons I went with the Testudo carrier was because it can accommodate 11x14 plates. I'm going with 10x12 plates and AR500's trauma pads, but I also plan to buy these $40 spall containment sleeves: https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/spa ... nt-sleeve/. I figure that, for the money, they can't hurt. And with the 11x14 plate headroom, I'll have plenty of space to tuck the 10x12 version of everything in the plate sleeve. Gonna wait until the new carrier arrives first, though. And then I'll also see if there's any additional load-out stuff I want to buy in addition to the spall sleeves. I'd like to keep the old carrier functionally independent as a backup (I say it's so my wife will have one of her own, but realistically I know she'll never put the thing on). But mag carriers and such aren't pricey, and the old carrier can't accommodate side plates anyway.
I have 2 testudo carriers with III+ 11x14 plates and anti-spall pouches and one of these that stays in my truck. https://www.cryeprecision.com/ProductDe ... arrier-jpc

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Post by troglodyte »

I have the AR500 Testudo with 10"x12" level 3 with buildup. My wife has the Freeman with III plates.

We don't plan on trekking across country or storming the Bastille with them. They are more a hunker down or limited movement. Certainly we aren't wearing them everyday.

I am considering buying some IIIA soft armor inserts for LTC classes with as many new shooters as there are now.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Rafe wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:45 pm I have an AR500 Testudo & 10x12 level III+ plates on order that should arrive in a couple of weeks now; purchased July 1.
Just a quick update to give you an idea of AR500's current turnaround. Order date was July 1, and I expected around a 10-week wait. Got the notification from AR500 and from FedEx today that the order has shipped FedEx Ground and will land Friday. So just under 9 weeks order-to-ship. Not bad considering I believe their business has been brisk lately.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

As @rafe said, if the situation gets that extreme I'll have more trouble on my hands than the weight of my kit-

That being said, I've been looking myself for some months, but my reason really is just for range use with new students...

strogg

Post by strogg »

I've always thought about getting some soft armor. But one thing that always lingers in my mind is that if I ever need to put on soft armor, that means I probably made a bad decision to be somewhere I shouldn't be to begin with.

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

If you are still looking and haven't bought yet. I cannot recommend the mayflower APC and RMA plates enough! The carrier is one of the best I've ever worn, extremely comfortable and the RMA plates are 100% American materials and American made, their lead times are VERY short compared to other companies and their 1155 plates are cheap. I will ALWAYS recommend ceramic over steel plates. While steel will take more damage and possibly last longer, ceramic doesn't spall the bullet and sling its fragments into your jugular and face. just my honest opinion on the matter of Steel vs Ceramic. We use poly ceramic plates in the military, I wouldn't carry around steel for my body protection. The 1155 ceramic plates will stop 30.06AP rounds, rated to stop one will actually stop multiple.

As far as wait times for RMA armor, I ordered mine and from scratch built to shipped and arrived was LESS THAN A MONTH. That is insane speeds for ceramic armor scratch built or not. I also put a lot of stock in 100% AMERICAN made from AMERICAN materials.

Topic author
bagman45
Banned

Post by bagman45 »

Another THANKS update. I'm researching as time allows, and it's a head-spinning topic. My bad for not doing this over the past several years while thinking about it..... PLUS, I'm an engineer, so that makes the level of anal-retentive research even WORSE. I truly appreciate your input, and am continuing to chase this down, as I've decided it's something I need to do to protect my family. It's also worse, as I'm researching suppressors at the same time..... :???:

74novaman
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 74novaman »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:58 pm As @rafe said, if the situation gets that extreme I'll have more trouble on my hands than the weight of my kit-

That being said, I've been looking myself for some months, but my reason really is just for range use with new students...
There are two situations extreme enough I'm putting on armor.

1) a home invasion (if I have time, which I'm hoping to have thanks to reinforced doors and loud dogs)

2) unrest/riots/etc

While 1 is going to be over and done with real quick, situation 2 could be a multi hour or even multi day event. Weight is going to matter. Even for situation 1, weight matters if you're going to spend any time training in your armor, and if you've never shot a rifle wearing armor before...you're going to want to practice.

As I said previously, I went the AR500 route first time around because it was cheaper and it wasn't going to be a high use item, so I didn't think weight mattered. My PC only had 4 mags on it, two AR500 plates, and a small IFAK. It was 29 lbs. I almost never trained in it, and even an hour of extended wear would be a major pain...and there's serious questions about how it would deal with XM855 or even XM193 at decent velocities, which is a pretty darn common ammo to not stop.

You don't have to go the super expensive, fancy cut, level 4 ceramics. I think RMAs polyethelene/ceramic level 4 plates are like 140 bucks each and 9 lbs each. Not light, but still enough lighter than my AR500 stuff and more likely to stop common threats than the steel plates were to make it worth the difference if you're going for a first time purchase.

Otherwise you're going to wind up doing what I did and just rebuy quality the second time around and have a cheap and heavy trainer/loaner set.

Just trying to save others money by warning yall of the dumb stuff I did......
TANSTAAFL

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Let me start by saying that I’m NOT against the idea of having a plate carrier, if that’s what you want. But.....

At this point in my life, no, I’m not considering it. Maybe if I were younger, and with fewer physical issues, yes. I would. But at this point in my life, I already feel old, I have a lot of aches and pains, and the thought of adding another 20 lbs or so of kit is just not something I want to consider. I’ve reduced my basic essentials to a lightweight chest rig with some spare mags, an IFAK, and a Camelback hydration pack. Add approximately 7 lbs +/- for a rifle, and a small backpack with some extra things, and the weight of plates is more than I want to even think about. My goal is to avoid putting myself into situations where a plate carrier would be essential. I’m beyond that stage of life. And if a situation like that finds me despite my best efforts, then I'll fight for life, and accept whatever happens.

Also, I’m not afraid of dying because we ALL die, and I know where I’m headed when I pass. I don’t want to die before seeing my grandkids grown up and married, but if it happens, it happens. If it is God's will to call me home at a given time, nothing can save me. If it is not God's will to call me home at that time, nothing can kill me. A plate carrier isn’t going to change that basic fact. I’m not saying they have no use—they plainly do—but lots of young American men have died in the last 20 years while wearing plate carriers. That’s not an argument against buying one if it would make you feel better to have it, but don’t do it thinking that it will make you invincible.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
bagman45
Banned

Post by bagman45 »

Hey Tam, I kinda laughed out loud when I read your post. Sounds like I'm pretty much like you. A cantankerous old dude with plenty of aches and pains. Seems like I can hurt myself sleeping or getting out of bed these days.... ;-) I did have both hips replaced a few years back, so I've lost some weight and am more mobile now. While I used to be a Greek God, mow I'm just a Goddarned Greek...LOL. And I'm certainly not 'runnin and gunninn' anymore.

I'm looking at it from a practical perspective. I'm thinking of the soft stuff for roaming about if our "leaders" continue to decide that they need the violent criminal vote and no longer see the need to punish them, as seems to be the popular trend now. If that happens, thugs with guns will be everywhere we go. So some soft armor would seem to make sense. If Trump doesn't get re-elected, ALL armor will likely become illegal for civilians.

The plate/carrier stuff is more about protecting the homestead/bunker. Won't be hiking with it; it'll be on me in the hopefully unlikely situation that the criminal mob makes it's way to my tranquil suburban neighborhood. While we're pretty well prepared, my older boy is back at college, and while my youngest knows what to do, and will be manning a post from the second floor, I'll not put him on the ground to stand them down directly, or flank them, as that would be my approach. Again, if we lose the election, armor likely become illegal for we little people.

I, like you am ready to meet my maker with peace and tranquility. I just want to do everything I can to protect my family from that fate at the hands of those who are in legion with lucifer. Not sure whether I'll pull the trigger on it, but am blessed enough to have the ability to do so. After all; "retirement" doesn't exist if I'm not there to experience it......

parabelum
Posts in topic: 2

Post by parabelum »

Oh and don’t forget about your noggin. Understand that trained personell will go after your head if they spot body armor. Consider ballistic helmet unless you have one already.
I like the one linked (not affiliated with Shellback, I just always have had good experience with their products).
Yes, it’s 3lbs but if it keeps your brain protected, well worth.
https://www.shellbacktactical.com/shell ... ch-helmet/

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

If you’re looking for a local group to get the best quality for your spend, check out Vets Mfg group in Katy. While they do have some lower priced steel plates available it’s their poly armor that is in my shopping cart. Unlike most of the competition, including some named in this thread their armor offers same protection out to the edge of the plates and not just the centers. The other guys are catching up, but for my money I want leading companies not followers.

https://vetsmfg.com/product-category/body-armor/

*disclaimer “I am not a paid spokesperson and not related to anyone in the company other than sharing a Veteran status.”

Topic author
bagman45
Banned

Post by bagman45 »

Thanks again for your thoughts and recommendations! Still researching this and deciding what makes sense for my POU. Please keep your personal experiences, along with your POU coming!!!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”