Anybody bought body armor? Thinking about it....

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

74novaman
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Anybody bought body armor? Thinking about it....

Post by 74novaman »

Took some pictures to answer a question on another forum and thought I'd come back to this one with a few extra thoughts.

Two ways to do things:

1) Traditional molle attachment system. Secure, but can be a pain to get set up initially, not super customizable once it's set up.
2) Velco/buckle attachment using placards. Much easier to change things up quickly.

Example of each: Ferro Slickster (not complete yet) on the left, Grey Ghost Minimalist on the right.

Ferro with placard removed:

Anything that uses the QASM buckles and velco backing can be put on a carrier let up like the Slickster. So if you have ARs, AKs, .308s, PCC....someone makes a placard for it, and you can change out what you can put on your carrier in seconds. I have a 3 AR mag placard from Esstac on mine right now, with an additional torniquet holder. As well, you can completely remove the placard and run the PC slick with just plates and nothing attached if low profile protection is what you're after.

Both are good options. Start with buying a carrier, then get plates that fit it, accessories that work with it, and go from there. IMO.
TANSTAAFL

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

74novaman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:21 pm Took some pictures to answer a question on another forum and thought I'd come back to this one with a few extra thoughts.

Two ways to do things:

1) Traditional molle attachment system. Secure, but can be a pain to get set up initially, not super customizable once it's set up.
2) Velco/buckle attachment using placards. Much easier to change things up quickly.

Example of each: Ferro Slickster (not complete yet) on the left, Grey Ghost Minimalist on the right.

Ferro with placard removed:

Anything that uses the QASM buckles and velco backing can be put on a carrier let up like the Slickster. So if you have ARs, AKs, .308s, PCC....someone makes a placard for it, and you can change out what you can put on your carrier in seconds. I have a 3 AR mag placard from Esstac on mine right now, with an additional torniquet holder. As well, you can completely remove the placard and run the PC slick with just plates and nothing attached if low profile protection is what you're after.

Both are good options. Start with buying a carrier, then get plates that fit it, accessories that work with it, and go from there. IMO.
I run tactical assault panels.

https://www.fortbraggsurplus.us/TAP-Tac ... _3249.html

Topic author
bagman45
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bagman45 »

Thanks for posting this! Really helpful to see your actual carriers and set-up. What plates are you running?

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jago668 »

I got my ceramic lvl 4 plates from Infidel (also based in Texas, East of DFW). I went in person and got them. Currently in a Pig Brig from SKD. Chest rig is pieced from all over SOE, Tyr, Esstac. If I decided to buy another set I'm going for the poly plates that weight less. I've done training classes and shooting competitions in full kit and I need to exercise more.
NRA Benefactor Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I've been looking at Skarr, but I'd be a size medium and they've been sold out for months.
I'm considering a Chinese brand that has received some solid reviews... Thoughts?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MaduroBU »

The shellback ceramic/PE hybrid plates are level IV rated and surprisingly light. The Banshee II is comfortable, but is big for smaller folks.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The main reason why I have not yet invested in a plate carrier and plates:
My MRI, dated 10/07/20
My MRI, dated 10/07/20

I can barely stand the weight of my shoulder holster or my lightweight chest rig. Heck, I can’t walk to my car without considerable pain. There’s no way in hades that I can bear the weight of a plate carrier.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:36 pm The main reason why I have not yet invested in a plate carrier and plates...
Ouch, TAM. That looks like a nighttime satellite image of a train derailment. Well, now I know why you're no longer 6'4".

Prayers that it gets no worse and that you can manage it going forward. Did the doc say that stenosis is on the horizon, or is that already here, too?
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:36 pm The main reason why I have not yet invested in a plate carrier and plates:E1C27CEE-B1FF-498A-8FC5-F589F0165C70.jpeg

I can barely stand the weight of my shoulder holster or my lightweight chest rig. Heck, I can’t walk to my car without considerable pain. There’s no way in hades that I can bear the weight of a plate carrier.
Sorry about your health problems. Your issues may make a PC not worth it, but if anyone else without back problems is worried about weight, that minimalist Grey Ghost carrier I posted above weighs only 11 lbs. 3+ polyethylene plates, 2 loaded mags, IFAK.

It can be done in a lightweight way if thats something you need. Just something to keep in mind, you don’t have to go 25+ lbs with level 4 plates, tons of mags, hydration, etc.
TANSTAAFL

The Annoyed Man

Rafe wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:17 pm Ouch, TAM. That looks like a nighttime satellite image of a train derailment. Well, now I know why you're no longer 6'4".

Prayers that it gets no worse and that you can manage it going forward. Did the doc say that stenosis is on the horizon, or is that already here, too?
Stenosis is already there at L5/S1, L3/4 (L4/5 had already been fused in 2004), L2/3, L1/2, and just starting at T11/12. My neurosurgeon is talking about a fusion from T12 to L4 plus L5/S1, but I’ve got to lose a lot of weight before he will do it.

Anyway, I didn’t want to derail the thread.....just explain why I haven’t given a serious thought to buying body armor for myself. I would if I could wear it, but I can’t. So I’ve had to alter both my survival tactics, and my survival expectations.....at least until I can get my back fixed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Just losing a lot of weight by itself might help a lot.

The Annoyed Man

eyedoc wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:57 pm Just losing a lot of weight by itself might help a lot.
My neurosurgeon said that the weight isn’t causative, but it is contributing to the pain.

#TINVOWOOT

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:12 pm
eyedoc wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:57 pm Just losing a lot of weight by itself might help a lot.
My neurosurgeon said that the weight isn’t causative, but it is contributing to the pain.
I have seen some great results from weight loss and building up your core muscles. I wish you luck.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

FedEx says I should be receiving this tomorrow. Hopefully not needed.

Now I need to start researching plates. :roll: :lol:

Click image for link.

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Paladin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Paladin »

Jago668 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:50 pm I got my ceramic lvl 4 plates from Infidel (also based in Texas, East of DFW). I went in person and got them. Currently in a Pig Brig from SKD. Chest rig is pieced from all over SOE, Tyr, Esstac. If I decided to buy another set I'm going for the poly plates that weight less. I've done training classes and shooting competitions in full kit and I need to exercise more.
There was a day not all that long ago I would do ruck for miles in a weighted pack (for time) and do pull-ups and pushups in a 30lb weightvest. You have to build up to it, but its worth it if you do.

The Waco Tactical Fitness Biathlon was a great event for fitness + shooting + gear
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”