Anybody bought body armor? Thinking about it....

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

pawn
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anybody bought body armor? Thinking about it....

Post by pawn »

Bulletproofme.com seemed like a standup business, when I talked with them. Still thinking it over, here, but it seems like a good idea.

AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AndyC1911 »

I have soft body-armor which I can stick into a vest or a tshirt-type carrier (the latter is where they usually live).

I also have steel plates but I bought those more to play around with than actually wear - I plan on shooting them. I'm more concerned about handgun than rifle fire, so I have no plans (yet) to upgrade to ceramic plates - I've had to do the 800-yard dash under fire while wearing those and I felt like I was running through glue. Some protection is better than none and I'd rather not be slowed down too much.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rafe »

Just to post back in an old topic... If anyone might be looking for some really inexpensive plates, AR500 currently has two Level III (not Level III+) plates for $65. https://www.ar500armor.com/heritage-bogo-aug.html

These are their original steel alloy plates and, at that price, they're the basic, flat, 10"x12" plates only, with the standard base coating. Choice of cut for right- or left-handed shooters.

Minimal, but at two for $65 they just might be worth picking up as spares.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Paladin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Paladin »

If you want plates, Dayton Armor is really good.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RoyGBiv »

Rafe wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:06 am Just to post back in an old topic... If anyone might be looking for some really inexpensive plates, AR500 currently has two Level III (not Level III+) plates for $65. https://www.ar500armor.com/heritage-bogo-aug.html

These are their original steel alloy plates and, at that price, they're the basic, flat, 10"x12" plates only, with the standard base coating. Choice of cut for right- or left-handed shooters.

Minimal, but at two for $65 they just might be worth picking up as spares.
Upgrade to curved and add blunt force pads... $120 (plus shipping?)

Nice deal
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Bringing this one back to life.

As another election is heating up and after that video by Ayoob I'm starting to consider this a bit more seriously than last go around. I have questions for those that have body armor. I'm also considering the number of just plain random shootings on the highways and byways in addition to the collision/impact protection.

1. How often do you where it?
2. Do you have soft that you wear often and then add plates under certain circumstances like when goin to the range?
3. Are you over 50y?
4. Is it just for personal use or part of your job?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Paladin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Paladin »

C-dub wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:49 pm Bringing this one back to life.

As another election is heating up and after that video by Ayoob I'm starting to consider this a bit more seriously than last go around. I have questions for those that have body armor. I'm also considering the number of just plain random shootings on the highways and byways in addition to the collision/impact protection.

2. Do you have soft that you wear often and then add plates under certain circumstances like when goin to the range?
3. Are you over 50y?
It's tougher to wear in hot weather. On the range or most especially during force-on-force training wearing body armor is a good idea. Concealable is preferred. I have plates for home defense and train with the plates on occasion.

I'm not 50 yet, but I'd say wearing armor outdoors in the Texas summer is still a pretty good way to reach heat exhaustion quickly.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Paladin wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:10 pm
C-dub wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:49 pm Bringing this one back to life.

3. Are you over 50y?
It's tougher to wear in hot weather. On the range or most especially during force-on-force training wearing body armor is a good idea. Concealable is preferred. I have plates for home defense and train with the plates on occasion.

I'm not 50 yet, but I'd say wearing armor outdoors in the Texas summer is still a pretty good way to reach heat exhaustion quickly.
Thanks Paladin.

I spend the most time outdoors in my own yard. Mowing, swimming, or something and doubt I'd wear it then. Other times outside are merely getting to and from my car or motorcycle to wherever inside, so no more than a minute or two if that.

A quick look at some of the brands listed in this thread and other searches leans me here. https://safelifedefense.com/concealable ... evel-iiia/
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”