My “truck” gun is...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

kayt00
Posts in topic: 3

Re: My “truck” gun is...

Post by kayt00 »

Teamless wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:11 pm
kayt00 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:31 pm ...not in my truck because I don't yet have a way to secure it.
I have this in my truck
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/product/5 ... -2007-2019
That would be sweet! But I have a Dodge, I've been casually looking though. I kind of like the idea of decking the bed as well.
https://decked.com/products/decked-ram-1500
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

kayt00 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:28 pm
Teamless wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:11 pm
kayt00 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:31 pm ...not in my truck because I don't yet have a way to secure it.
I have this in my truck
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/product/5 ... -2007-2019
That would be sweet! But I have a Dodge, I've been casually looking though. I kind of like the idea of decking the bed as well.
https://decked.com/products/decked-ram-1500
I’ve seen those as well, but I lose most of my truck bed with that

This is for 2019/2020 Ram...
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/product/5 ... -2019-2020
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Post by troglodyte »

AR Pistol in 300 BO. 7.5" barrel with KAK flashcan, Law Tactical folding stock, TRS-25 Red Dot, and Shockwave brace. 1-20 round mag in pistol with Lehigh Close Quarters. 2 additional 20 rounders, one with CQ and one with FMJ.

Carried in a 5.11 LV10 sling pack with a IFAK. Packed 9" x 16" x 7" and weighs about 12 lbs.

My goal in this build was to have a compact firearm that could be carried just about anywhere discreetly. It can go with me inside (where legal) and it just looks like a messenger bag. If I have to beat feet then it can serve as a very small daily GHB. It still has some room so if I have time I can put in a water bottle and snack from the vehicle or office.

It is not a quickdraw system. It takes about 30-45 seconds to get it into action. I have my side arm for immediate threats and if there is a lull I can hunker down and assemble the pistol. It is purposed to defensively deal with active shooters, flashmob/riots, or to get from one place to the other. Escape and evade is the primary goal.

I fight the urge to put more doo-dads in the pack as I wish to keep it as light as possible. The nice thing about the LV10 is, when slung around to the belly, it opens on the side facing up. This provides a good workspace without having to take off the pack. Mags are easy to retrieve and exchange and the bag serves as a very crude sling as I can set the pistol in it and can use both hands. Granted, it is not secured but it does allow options. Also, setting the pistol in the bag, and with arms positioned so it looks like you're holding the bag securely to your belly, I can hide the little bit of brace and barrel that are exposed with my forearms and elbows. This might be useful if needing to move inconspicuously and still have the pistol at hand.

I am hoping to start the suppressor paperwork this week. That will add about another pound with the QD (and a few more seconds to thread on). I keep debating a weapon mounted light and sling (tangling hazard with breakdown folder). Even with those the weight should be under 14 pounds. I could add or trade out mags and keep it around 15 lbs.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Aggie_engr »

In my normal day to day activities, I have a G19X with rail mounted streamlight and two 19 round spare mags. I also have a safariland owb retention holster in case I need to be mobile and spare mags are in comptac owb holsters.

For any travel outside of my immediate area, the 8.5” LWRC PSD in 5.56 goes with me. Trijicon MRO, streamlight and flip up irons. Truck configuration is easily accessible and has a can and 30 round mag, with four spare 30 round mags. When I get to my destination, the can comes off and it all fits in my backpack/suitcase etc. It is legally an SBR so I have no worries about slinging it if needed.

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 5

Post by parabelum »

That sounds like a nice setup. I really want SBR but have just never pulled a trigger (pun intended) thinking that cost, paperwork etc is just too much. Is it?

Side note, you guys with ARs... :grumble thanks to you my ps90 is now in the house and my Ruger 556 with two 30rd mags (one is duck taped to another :smilelol5: ) is now in the truck. Mainly because I was thinking that if someone breaks into it and steels it, Ruger was $850ish and I’ve paid $1800+ for my ps90 with the red dot, not counting the cost of 27gr green tip ammo :shock:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

parabelum wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:05 pm That sounds like a nice setup. I really want SBR but have just never pulled a trigger (pun intended) thinking that cost, paperwork etc is just too much. Is it?

Side note, you guys with ARs... :grumble thanks to you my ps90 is now in the house and my Ruger 556 with two 30rd mags (one is duck taped to another :smilelol5: ) is now in the truck. Mainly because I was thinking that if someone breaks into it and steels it, Ruger was $850ish and I’ve paid $1800+ for my ps90 with the red dot, not counting the cost of 27gr green tip ammo :shock:
You want an "SBR", but want to avoid the paperwork? Build an AR pistol with a brace. End of problem.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 5

Post by parabelum »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 am
parabelum wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:05 pm That sounds like a nice setup. I really want SBR but have just never pulled a trigger (pun intended) thinking that cost, paperwork etc is just too much. Is it?

You want an "SBR", but want to avoid the paperwork? Build an AR pistol with a brace. End of problem.
Good thought, but what about having it on a sling in the great outdoors?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

parabelum wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:09 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 am

Good thought, but what about having it on a sling in the great outdoors?
1. Buy a sling for it, and make it fit.
2. Keep sling in the case, but not mounted.
3. If things get bad enough without rule of law, the legalities of slinging an AR pistol are going to be the least of your worries.
4. OTH, get a 16” carbine and put a LAW Tactical folding stock adapter on it so that you can backpack it. Then sling it to your heart's content.

I do have a registered SBR lower. I also have a pistol lower. I primarily built the pistol lower to bypass the ATF requirements for transporting the SBR across state lines.....like when I've vacationed up in Oklahoma for instance. But the reason I wanted an SBR in the first place wasn’t really for concealment, it was for handiness.....because I always keep a suppressor on it. My 11.5” SBR with the can mounted is only 1/2” longer than an unsuppressed 16” carbine. My 16” carbine suppressed is longer than my 20” A4. If I weren’t focused on wanting it to be suppressed, I’d be fine with a 16” or 20” AR.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MJR

Post by MJR »

Glock 48 with 3 mags. Kept in a locked steel Tuffy console case in my Tacoma.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I betcha one could argue that a sling carried over/around the shoulder could be considered a shoulder holster.

Personally, I have always liked the idea of using a cheap 12GA pump shotgun as my truck gun. Texans have been keeping those in their trucks since trucks came to Texas.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

AdioSS wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:51 pm I betcha one could argue that a sling carried over/around the shoulder could be considered a shoulder holster.
One could make that argument, but I wouldn't want to bet my personal freedom on if being successful.
That's the main reason I do not routinely carry an AR pistol in a vehicle. If, for some reason, I'm forced to abandon my vehicle — whether due to violence or something more benign like mechanical issues, I would not want to leave a firearm in it. But, carrying an AR pistol in an unholstered fashion could be a problem.

I like the idea of a small case though, and I've been looking at those…
--
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Post by troglodyte »

der Teufel wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:50 am
AdioSS wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:51 pm I betcha one could argue that a sling carried over/around the shoulder could be considered a shoulder holster.
One could make that argument, but I wouldn't want to bet my personal freedom on if being successful.
That's the main reason I do not routinely carry an AR pistol in a vehicle. If, for some reason, I'm forced to abandon my vehicle — whether due to violence or something more benign like mechanical issues, I would not want to leave a firearm in it. But, carrying an AR pistol in an unholstered fashion could be a problem.

I like the idea of a small case though, and I've been looking at those…
--
My solution. Details in previous post.

It's not ideal but it is versatile.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”