Bedside Pistol - Springfield XDM Elite OSP????

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bagman45
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Bedside Pistol - Springfield XDM Elite OSP????

Post by bagman45 »

Howdy all, hope you are well and staying safe in these crazy times. The good part about the insanity going on just now, (plus the extra time away from the office) is that's it's caused me to actually start focusing on my "Philosophy Of Use" for the things that I own. I've always "kinda" thought about it, but our current situation has elevated it to near the top of my list of things that occupy my time. Better late than never, I guess... As I think through that, I've realized that I've not spent enough time considering the actual USE of the resources that I have.

SO, I'm thinning the herd of things that don't match my POU and replacing them with ones that do. I carry daily, so I have the CCW bit covered, but I assess my plan to protect Hearth and Home to maybe be a bit lacking. While I've been using several different handguns as bedside guns, I'm starting to think more in terms of "battle guns" that are reliable, high capacity and can run a can. Sadly, the Glock OSP versions are all but unobtainable, plus I'd have to add the sights and threaded barrel.

Given that, I've started to seriously consider the new-ish Springfield XDM Elite OSP. Huge round capacity, supressor-height sights, threaded barrel and flared magwell. This would be focused on home defense and a problem arises/mob defense backing up a rifle. Would have a light and red dot mounted. I'm typically an "old school" guy, but now that I've suddenly become an old fart with failing eyesight, my reality has started to overcome the cheap bastard in me, and I'm becoming all-in on rail mounted lights and optics on everything I own. Most of my current handgun inventory doesn't have that capability.

Anybody have any experience with this weapon? I have an XDS in .45 and it's been a great carry gun. Sent it back to the factory for the re-call updates, but have never had an issue with it, so am predisposed to give it a run. Looking forward to hearing from those who have experience with it. Thanks in advance for your experience and thoughts!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Bedside Pistol - Springfield XDM Elite OSP????

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Your concept is good, but there are other options in the execution that may save you some money, if that’s also a goal.

I already owned a standard Gen4 Glock 17 and a pistol suppressor. I bought a "drop-in" threaded barrel for for the Glock ($130 new), and a lightly-used set of hybrid tritium/fiberoptic suppressor-height sights I bought from a forum member (about $60, if I recall correctly). This system has worked perfectly for the get-go.

Later, I also bought threaded "drop in" barrels for my Springfield 1911A1 Loaded, and my Springfield XDM45 Compact 3.8. Turns out they weren’t "drop in". The XDM would fire, but not cycle with the suppressor attached. It would try to cycle, but it’s acting like it needs a lot of custom fitting to make it work, because it doesn’t return to full lockup after firing with that barrel installed. So that’s a project for another day.

Meanwhile, the cobbled-together Glock runs like it came from the factory that way. I considered having the slide machined to accept an RMR, as I too have Mark68 eyeballs, but it turned out not to be necessary so I didn’t do it. I had cataract surgery in both eyes a couple of years ago, and I can see iron sights on a pistol well enough now for them to be useful. The hybrid sights work well in all situations. You know what turns out to be a better investment than an RMR? A Streamlight TLR-1s weapon light.

I love shooting that rig suppressed, but between the light and the can, there’s a lot of weight hanging out there on the front of the gun—and that drastically affects the handling balance, slowing you down. So if I had to get rid of either the light or the can, I’d get rid of the can—because the light doesn’t have near the impact on the gun's handling that the can does. The can is great for static defense (or assassination, if that’s your game), but it’s not nearly as useful in a run-and-gun situation. OTH, a weapon light on a home defense firearm is practically mandatory.

My POU was similar when building an AR for home defense. I registered an SBR, because at home defense distances, the velocity lost to a shorter barrel is irrelevant; and because adding a suppressor to a short barrel makes the overall package only about an inch longer than a carbine, so handiness is maintained. The SBR is topped with an Aimpoint micro, but the BUIS have tritium inserts front and rear, and absolutely cowitness to the RDS if deployed. So if the battery in the RDS goes down, I don’t have to change my cheek-weld or sight picture.

And by the way, the hybrid sights on the pistol respond well to a weapon light, and they work even if there’s no light available.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

kayt00
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kayt00 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:49 am Your concept is good, but there are other options in the execution that may save you some money, if that’s also a goal.

I already owned a standard Gen4 Glock 17 and a pistol suppressor. I bought a "drop-in" threaded barrel for for the Glock ($130 new), and a lightly-used set of hybrid tritium/fiberoptic suppressor-height sights I bought from a forum member (about $60, if I recall correctly). This system has worked perfectly for the get-go.

Later, I also bought threaded "drop in" barrels for my Springfield 1911A1 Loaded, and my Springfield XDM45 Compact 3.8. Turns out they weren’t "drop in". The XDM would fire, but not cycle with the suppressor attached. It would try to cycle, but it’s acting like it needs a lot of custom fitting to make it work, because it doesn’t return to full lockup after firing with that barrel installed. So that’s a project for another day.

Meanwhile, the cobbled-together Glock runs like it came from the factory that way. I considered having the slide machined to accept an RMR, as I too have Mark68 eyeballs, but it turned out not to be necessary so I didn’t do it. I had cataract surgery in both eyes a couple of years ago, and I can see iron sights on a pistol well enough now for them to be useful. The hybrid sights work well in all situations. You know what turns out to be a better investment than an RMR? A Streamlight TLR-1s weapon light.

I love shooting that rig suppressed, but between the light and the can, there’s a lot of weight hanging out there on the front of the gun—and that drastically affects the handling balance, slowing you down. So if I had to get rid of either the light or the can, I’d get rid of the can—because the light doesn’t have near the impact on the gun's handling that the can does. The can is great for static defense (or assassination, if that’s your game), but it’s not nearly as useful in a run-and-gun situation. OTH, a weapon light on a home defense firearm is practically mandatory.

My POU was similar when building an AR for home defense. I registered an SBR, because at home defense distances, the velocity lost to a shorter barrel is irrelevant; and because adding a suppressor to a short barrel makes the overall package only about an inch longer than a carbine, so handiness is maintained. The SBR is topped with an Aimpoint micro, but the BUIS have tritium inserts front and rear, and absolutely cowitness to the RDS if deployed. So if the battery in the RDS goes down, I don’t have to change my cheek-weld or sight picture.

And by the way, the hybrid sights on the pistol respond well to a weapon light, and they work even if there’s no light available.
OP just do what TAM did, I've seen it and fondled it a bit and now I want to shoot it. The only "downside" is that if I get a chance to shoot it I'm pretty sure I'll have an insatiable itch to build a clone. Haha
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

parabelum
Posts in topic: 2

Post by parabelum »

I get the use for a can, but for HD? I’m just thinking that once you put the can into a 4+” barrel you’re just few inches away from AR pistol. If you really want a can on it then TAMs concept makes most sense. Mine is Sig M17 with tlr and a 21rd mag.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I have one of these, mounted an RMR on it. OEM sights are off from the factory, the RMR is zeroed but I have yet to rezero the factory sights. The 22 rounds of 9mm is fun. I have a little more than one box of ammo through this one so beyond what I told you I can't really say much more.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by surferdaddy »

I think that the springfields are an excellent choice. I am not sure how useful all the other bits are. The can might be more a liability in terms of limiting maneuverability and perhaps more importantly it gives intruders a great big handle with which to lever that pistol out if your hands.

I like red dots but at the distances you will likely be using your pistol your weapon mounted light will probably be all the sighting aid you will need. Nothing is faster than lighting up your target and watching the hole go in the center of the light’s hot spot; a weapon mounted light is often overlooked as a sighting aid at close distances. Even on a well lit range I sometimes turn on my light and put it on the target. I am often shocked at how fast this method is.

But like I said...that pistol choice would be great for home defense. This is my bedside defender.
🏄
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

surferdaddy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:32 am I think that the springfields are an excellent choice. I am not sure how useful all the other bits are. The can might be more a liability in terms of limiting maneuverability and perhaps more importantly it gives intruders a great big handle with which to lever that pistol out if your hands.

I like red dots but at the distances you will likely be using your pistol your weapon mounted light will probably be all the sighting aid you will need. Nothing is faster than lighting up your target and watching the hole go in the center of the light’s hot spot; a weapon mounted light is often overlooked as a sighting aid at close distances. Even on a well lit range I sometimes turn on my light and put it on the target. I am often shocked at how fast this method is.

But like I said...that pistol choice would be great for home defense. This is my bedside defender.
🏄
Mk25 with extreme grips? Or is this an even more interesting configuration?
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The problem will either be finding one or ammo to feed it.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

G.A. Heath wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:48 am
surferdaddy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:32 am I think that the springfields are an excellent choice. I am not sure how useful all the other bits are. The can might be more a liability in terms of limiting maneuverability and perhaps more importantly it gives intruders a great big handle with which to lever that pistol out if your hands.

🏄
Mk25 with extreme grips? Or is this an even more interesting configuration?
‘Tis not a variant. Just the grips, very grippy indeed.
CHL/LTC instructor

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

mrvmax wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:55 am The problem will either be finding one or ammo to feed it.
Just checked grabagun, it is in stock in fde. Well, right now anyway. Ammo is definitely an issue.
CHL/LTC instructor

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

parabelum wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:13 am I get the use for a can, but for HD? I’m just thinking that once you put the can into a 4+” barrel you’re just few inches away from AR pistol. If you really want a can on it then TAMs concept makes most sense. Mine is Sig M17 with tlr and a 21rd mag.
Ever fired a pistol inside the house without the time to put on earpro, and no suppressor?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:54 pm
parabelum wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:13 am I get the use for a can, but for HD? I’m just thinking that once you put the can into a 4+” barrel you’re just few inches away from AR pistol. If you really want a can on it then TAMs concept makes most sense. Mine is Sig M17 with tlr and a 21rd mag.
Ever fired a pistol inside the house without the time to put on earpro, and no suppressor?
You hearing is a little “tinny” for a couple of weeks for sure.

🏄
CHL/LTC instructor

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

🏄
That's my bedside gun as well with the Streamlight green laser. I don't have the fancy grips though.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:54 pm
Nope but I did have my ear protection off at an indoor range. :bigear: Was not my best moment.

But I suppose if I have to discharge at home, the noise might be the least of my problems. Also, the noise is bidirectional, meaning as much as it will impact me, the intruder will be just as impacted if not more as he/she will likely not expect a projectile coming their way.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Just a thought on the noise issue. When I took some training classes from a retired Houston PD SWAT Team Lead (23 years in SWAT), I asked about the noise from shooting. He said audio exclusion will protect my ears. I was not sure what to make of that until I watched a video series by Lt. Col. Grossman and he talked about numerous cases that he and others investigated where audio exclusion protected the shooters hearing. I have no personal experience, just going by what others have told me that do have a lot of experience. I will try to get ear pro on but shooting comes first. My first choice will be an AR and if it fails or I go through 4 magazines and that doesn't do the trick, I will go to a M&P 45 full size with 4 mags. Both have lights on them.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”