How to move Gun safe

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How to move Gun safe

Post by jason812 »

C-dub wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:53 am How do you get it into and out of the vehicle? That seems to be the bigger issue to me. Two or three guys are not lifting a 1000 lb safe in and out of a truck safely without a lift on the back of the truck. IMHO
This is why the safe guy uses a hydraulic trailer were the entire bed lowers to the ground. Also, its not just the loading and unloading but driving down the road with a top heavy safe in the bed of a truck. To me that's pretty sketchy too but we've done it.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Killadocg23 »

Gents I got my safe safely (no pun intended) into my house and have now settled in. The question now is for bolting it down. I tried an el cheapo hammer drill from Wally World but that didn’t work at all. I was using a Bosch 3/8ths bit. Any recommendations on a hammer drill or what I can use to drill through concrete? Also any recommendations for a good bit?

Thank you in advance.

Dave M.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Killadocg23 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:11 am Gents I got my safe safely (no pun intended) into my house and have now settled in. The question now is for bolting it down. I tried an el cheapo hammer drill from Wally World but that didn’t work at all. I was using a Bosch 3/8ths bit. Any recommendations on a hammer drill or what I can use to drill through concrete? Also any recommendations for a good bit?

Thank you in advance.

Dave M.
If it were me? I'd check tool rentals from home depot
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Flightmare wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:22 am
Killadocg23 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:11 am Gents I got my safe safely (no pun intended) into my house and have now settled in. The question now is for bolting it down. I tried an el cheapo hammer drill from Wally World but that didn’t work at all. I was using a Bosch 3/8ths bit. Any recommendations on a hammer drill or what I can use to drill through concrete? Also any recommendations for a good bit?

Thank you in advance.

Dave M.
If it were me? I'd check tool rentals from home depot
Thanks will do !

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I have a corded Milwaukee hammer drill (you switch it back and forth between hammer and regular function), and have drilled tons of holes in concrete with it. Check out the Model # 5376-20.
-Ruark

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Ruark wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:58 am I have a corded Milwaukee hammer drill (you switch it back and forth between hammer and regular function), and have drilled tons of holes in concrete with it. Check out the Model # 5376-20.
Any particular drill bit ?

texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

Regardless of which person(s) or which company you use to move the safe, my distrustful nature compels me to remind ya that each and every person that you get involved, even the companies that ya just get a quote from, become potential leaks in the safety net that protects your guns and other valuables in your home. A guy tells a friend "Man, you should have seen the gun safe that we just moved into a guy's house . . .", and that guy tells a friend who on the shady side of things, and next thing ya know you're on vacation and ya come home to . . . - well, you get the picture. No device, safe, or hiding place is foolproof - they just delay the bad guys getting to your stuff.
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

texas yankee wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:29 am Regardless of which person(s) or which company you use to move the safe, my distrustful nature compels me to remind ya that each and every person that you get involved, even the companies that ya just get a quote from, become potential leaks in the safety net that protects your guns and other valuables in your home. A guy tells a friend "Man, you should have seen the gun safe that we just moved into a guy's house . . .", and that guy tells a friend who on the shady side of things, and next thing ya know you're on vacation and ya come home to . . . - well, you get the picture. No device, safe, or hiding place is foolproof - they just delay the bad guys getting to your stuff.
Realistically, the same can be said for any big ticket item one purchases. How do you know the guy at the gun counter won't tell his buds a guy just bought a fancy gun? The expensive new fangled TV you just bought? You don't. Some risks are just necessary to function.

The average burglar is not likely to hang around my house for two hours while they figure out how to get my safe open. Even a 30 minute delay is more time than most want to hang around. A safe is simply another layer of security. Nothing in life is 100% sure. Except for death and taxes.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

texas yankee wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:29 am Regardless of which person(s) or which company you use to move the safe, my distrustful nature compels me to remind ya that each and every person that you get involved, even the companies that ya just get a quote from, become potential leaks in the safety net that protects your guns and other valuables in your home. A guy tells a friend "Man, you should have seen the gun safe that we just moved into a guy's house . . .", and that guy tells a friend who on the shady side of things, and next thing ya know you're on vacation and ya come home to . . . - well, you get the picture. No device, safe, or hiding place is foolproof - they just delay the bad guys getting to your stuff.
Yeah, I'm picturing this guy moving the safe. What could go wrong?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Gents,

I was reading stuff online about potentially hitting water pipes or electrical in the floor? I assume we don’t have to worry about that here in Texas?

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

We have PEX water lines running through the concrete slab and the post tension cables. There are some things to be mindful of.
NRA Life Member

SigM4
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SigM4 »

GeekwithaGun wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:33 am We have PEX water lines running through the concrete slab and the post tension cables. There are some things to be mindful of.
Through or under? I don’t know that I’ve seen pex run through a slab very often.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

well, i suppose it is under, but does have to come up near some walls.
NRA Life Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Mostly it's under, but it does have to go through in some places.

For any who don't know, the red grid in this pic is the post-tension cables. The other red & blue lines are the water lines.

Yes, this is my house just before they poured the foundation.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

SigM4
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SigM4 »

GeekwithaGun wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:00 pm well, i suppose it is under, but does have to come up near some walls.
A valid point. That said it’s only coming through the slab near fixtures and even then it’s a vertical run. If you’ve drilling to bolt a safe down you shouldn’t have any issues with being near these pipes.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”